Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello! Please give opinion on ski length.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, i'm 6'1'' and 180lb.
I'd classify myself as an intermediate-to-expert skier. I usually do glades and moguls on ski trips. often go to whistler.
I wanted to ask some of you skiing people for an opinion. I've never used skis more than 168cm long. However, the online calculators based on height and weight suggest 176-181cm length.

I'm deciding between rossignol experience 83 skis that come in 168 and 176cm lengths.
Should I go for 176? In theory it would give me more support on steeper hills, however, I wanted quick turns on moguls.
I can't say i've experimented enough to make that call. Do you think i'd find I'd have a lot more stability in the glades since the longer skis would be able to hold my weight well?

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks so much!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arrowx7, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead I'm an old age pensioner, not an expert skier, I'm shorter and lighter than you are, and I ski on 163/165. I'd say 168 is pretty short!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
176 at least! I'm not as experienced as you and 4" shorter but my skis range between 173 and 182.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great! thanks so much! Also, do you guys know if 83cm a good all-mountain ski? I mostly ski in the east, some Calgary. They don't really get many powder days anyway. The odd time I go to whistler I can rent powder skis. Or do you think something like 86 or 88 also good for groomed runs? I guess not as much edge holding though...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arrowx7, from my very limited knowledge, it's not just about the width, but also the overall ski type and construction. ie not all 88 cm wide skis will feel the same. Will your local ski retailers not give you some decent advice?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Something in the mid 80s (I guess you mean mm not cm!) is at the bottom end of all mountain skis but perfectly capable, for my first course in off piste skiing in a few weeks I'll have my 102mm Armadas as my first choice but will take my 84mm wide Storm Rages as backups in case the Armadas turn out to be a bit fat. I got lots of help when choosing my all mountains http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1722528&highlight=mountain#1722528
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to Snowheads!

I'm 5'10" and I now have 168cm skis. I've had 195cm in the dim distant past, but these shorter fatter skis are much more responsive, and they're especially fun in the moguls. I'd imagine you're probably a bit tall for 168's and would be better with the 176's.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies!

What is a disadvantage for a taller/heavier guy on smaller skis? I feel like you'll be able to turn better and be more agile. I guess going faster will be difficult somehow?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On shorter skis you will probably find they "chatter" at speed, you would have more stability with longer ones. Short narrower skis won't float so easily, if your a great skier this won't matter so much but they will show up imperfect technique in the softer stuff.
Having said that I'm tall and heavy, I love shorter skis! Downside being because of the extra bulk the poor things are having to carry they lose their "pop" pretty quick. There is always a trade off.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Add to the mix that my 179 obsethed have the same contact length ( ish ) as my 169 vicious. Im 5'7". So dont forget to take into account rocker etc...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arrowx7, You really should try them before buying them. Get to a demo day. As said above modern construction with rockers etc can make a huge difference to actual contact length.

They are not cheap and you are going to use them for some time so get to a test day somewhere. If you are at Whistler there are tests all the time - go to the Yurt outside the Roundhouse and they will let you borrow stuff for half a day. Or just use your rental time to try the full range of skis they have in different sizes. I am same height and bit heavier and ski between 165 and 180 depending totally on the ski.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think it was Rossignol experience 83's , might have been 88's 180cms that I was given as hire skis from UCPA on their offpiste week last season, excellent in big carving turns on & off piste but as responsive as a london bus in tight turns, useless in moguls compared to my geriatric head 1100s. which are 170s, I'm also 6'1" but more like 200lbs dripping wet
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all your help guys! I ended up going for the Rossi Experience 83 in 176, great ski!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just some more data to help anyone else. Mr Mogulski and I both have Rossignol Experience 78's which we love and they do work all mountain, including moguls. He is 5'11" and on 174cm and I am 5'4" and on 166cm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy