Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where and when to book my holiday??

Poster: A snowHead
hi guys, me and the Mrs are looking at going skiing early Feb. I was wondering where to book and where to go. We have our own boots but will need EVERYTHING else. Not sure weather to go Half board or self catering. I have to admit half board does sound good as its easier but if you guys know any different then I am well open to suggestions.

I haven't gone skiing in 6 years and the last time was to Bulgaria. This time we want to go somewhere bigger with more runs.

Also when is the best time to book? Do I leave it to the last minute or do I book now?

Cheers guys.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Philib, as ive posted before, im no expert on resorts or skiing so can only offer my experience. Ive done bulgaria twice (first 2 ski trips) and wojldnt go back again now ive been bigger and better. Italy is great value. Cheaper hols and much cheaper than france (les arcs being my only french experiance......however as it was expensive to get there and for pints of beers etc, it was a agreat holiday....amount of snow fall certainty helped) for Italy, we went to passo tonale. Again, great at time but when you bigger you realise what u were missing. All comes down to what u r after. How skilled are you. Are you happy doing the same 15 runs over and over for a week or do you want to hammer as many runs as possible. Whats your budget to get over there and for lift pass (per person) personally I'd stay away from Bulgaria. Les arcs is great and endless amount of runs...nice tree lined ones too. We are going to ellmau/soll in austria on 2nd feb. We only booked it 2days before Christmas but left it well too late. The 1 hotel we wanted was booked up ages ago and a lot of the other nicer hoteks were "1 or 2 rooms left". I would book asap. People are still buying ski holidays so what ever the prices are now will prob be the lowest price. If u leave ittoo lste, prices can go up as TOs get less discount from the hotels. This will be our first time in austria and we cant wait. Sounds so picturesque, and add the snow, excursions and gluweins, im sure we will have a great time. Hope this helps
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Philib, as ive posted before, im no expert on resorts or skiing so can only offer my experience. Ive done bulgaria twice (first 2 ski trips) and wojldnt go back again now ive been bigger and better. Italy is great value. Cheaper hols and much cheaper than france (les arcs being my only french experiance......however as it was expensive to get there and for pints of beers etc, it was a agreat holiday....amount of snow fall certainty helped) for Italy, we went to passo tonale. Again, great at time but when you bigger you realise what u were missing. All comes down to what u r after. How skilled are you. Are you happy doing the same 15 runs over and over for a week or do you want to hammer as many runs as possible. Whats your budget to get over there and for lift pass (per person) personally I'd stay away from Bulgaria. Les arcs is great and endless amount of runs...nice tree lined ones too. We are going to ellmau/soll in austria on 2nd feb. We only booked it 2days before Christmas but left it well too late. The 1 hotel we wanted was booked up ages ago and a lot of the other nicer hoteks were "1 or 2 rooms left". I would book asap. People are still buying ski holidays so what ever the prices are now will prob be the lowest price. If u leave ittoo lste, prices can go up as TOs get less discount from the hotels. This will be our first time in austria and we cant wait. Sounds so picturesque, and add the snow, excursions and gluweins, im sure we will have a great time. Hope this helps
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I dont want to really do same runs for day on end. The Mrs has been only once before and that was 10 years ago. Her brother is a skiing instructor tho so shes going up the snow dome for some lessons. As for me I think im a early intermediate. Been 3x on snow but last time was 6 years ago. I was thinking passo tonale or livingo.

You say that its best to book early as spaces are running out but I cant help seeing cheaper deal for early Jan (so where's the logic).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Philib, it depends what u r after. We were after the higher end hotels with big pools and a lot were booking up (suppose this depends on the resort though). Supppose if ubooked a quieter resort ucould get a good last min deal. We really enjoyed passo tonale. Think it cost approx 850each to get there/accom/lift pass and equipmnt. We nooked about 7wks beforehand but that was 2yrs ago. We stayed in quiet a oosh hotel for the resort (hotel paradiso). Vgood value on slopes. They have 100km of runs. We mainly did blues and some reds and there was just enough to keep us going for the week. Couple who came with us were is ski class. They found this good but didnt start till 10.30/11 which was a apain for us as were r usually on slopes first thing. In the end we just met them for lunch instead of hanging around before their class started. We went in 2011.snow fall that year was genually poor all over. It hadnt snowed for 3weekz before we went but they managed to keep itin good condition. Night life is V quiet. A couple of bars and hotel bars. Resort itself isnt attractive at all. Basicalky all hotels are on a road backing into the slopes. However, the views on the mountains are fantastic. If you search X9JPF in youtube, my passo tonale vid is up there, together with my les arcs ones. If u can stretch to it, les arcs (for me) was amazing. Tonnes of runs...never get bored. Great ski parks (where I watched rather than jumped) lively nught life (depending on which part of resort you stay in...1950 was quiet but classy. Heard other areas have more bars) was quite expensive though. 5euro a beer etc/20euro lunches (but lots of huts selling 4euro paninis too) All comes down to what u are after. We r going austria this year as we want that traditionak mojntain hut, sleigh rides etc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You are also seeing lots of deals for early jan as not many people go early jan as early feb. Snow can be limited this time if year so there are soem good deals. You wont find as good prices last min for esly feb as you would for early jan....its like getting late deal for spain in April compared to may. Get cheap price but wont be as hot conditions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want to go from a regional airport then get in as soon as possible or you may well end up with no choice. If your going DIY get your flights booked now if I were you, prices may well rise and planes may well be full.
Obviously the closer you to your departure date you leave it the better the bargain but the least choice with the TOs. Austria and Italy tend to be cheaper once you get there.
My group are solid intermediates and like Maria Alm (part of the ski amade), La Thuile in Italy which is also connected to La Rosiere in France and Are in Sweden. We would happily go back to any of these resorts (they also have shortish transfers). I would also go to any of the milky way resorts (france into italy) cervinia or livigno, there are plenty of others.
What do you really want? Budget? How important is Apres? Do you want off slope entertainment other than eating/drinking?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tbh really looking at getting a package as cheap a possible really. Dont really care where we go as long as its cheap. Not looking for too much to do apart from ski tbh although a few restaurants and bars would be nice. Like I say this is the first time in years we have both been so wouldnt really expect too much. I would prefer to do all the smaller, cheaper resorts first before spending the extra on the bigger places. Only reason im looking at going somewhere cheap as I want to try and go twice this season, maybe once in early Feb and once early March.

Friends of ours have asked ask to know snowbombing with them which is fine and we can afford. But, I've heard a few people say that snowbombing is more about the apres ski then the pists and tbh when you havnt been for as long as us all we want to do is ski. If you wanted to party for a week we'ed go to Ibiza for a week in the summer lol.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Philib, if you are really flexible about where you go, how you stay, what airport etc, you will probably get some last minute deals but as mentioned above early February is a very different kettle of fish to early/mid January, which is rock bottom low season. Given your modest requirements (which sound very sensible) lots and lots of places would suit you well. When looking at prices of different holidays, remember that though catered chalets are more expensive up front, they can be extremely good value. Good breakfast, then with tea after skiing you really don't need to buy much lunch, and having wine with dinner is also a big bonus. When we stayed in catered chalets we generally spent the evenings there - going out to drink in bars gets through the money quickly, especially in France.

Self catering is the cheapest, though only if you self cater and don't eat out. if you eat out a lot, a catered chalet will generally work out better value. With just two of you, finding a last minute bedroom in a catered chalet might well be possible.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the advice Pam. I think you have worked us out to a tee. We aint fussy and to be honest we only want to ski. We are 24 years old and like I say, if we want to go for a party week we would go to maga or Ibiza. Think I may take a punt at a last minute deal. Seen a few half boards to Passo Tonale for around £700 all in. As we cant really compare the resorts as we have no real past experience we will just go to what works out the best value.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Skids! It seems that we are all hunched over our puters searching for those impossible deals.
I've spent the whole afternoon trawling away try to find a possible ski holiday to fit my crew.
I know I'm wasting my time because there will be some snag or reason it dosnt suite everybody.

Just so you can share and sympathise ...
There is me + the misses (she is a take it or leave it skier, not to bothered and is easy to please, I suppose that's why we've managed to stay married so long)
There my son who loves to ski or board (depending on awkward he can make life for everyone else) ... has left home but still brings home the washing.
Then there is my daughter and new grandaughter and hubby (they live in Switzerland but cant afford to ski there)
I reckon the plan is to get grandma to babysit up a mountain all day with occasional visits from mum for feeding.

So what are we to do?
When?
I'm thinking first decide on a date .... 26th Jan for 7 days.
What?
Perhaps a couple of apartments .... one for Me & Mrs + another room or shelf for son
Then another apartment far away where the next generations can have raptures of new parenting bliss.

With What?
But they want a pool for the grandaughter to splash about in
Where they can ski back to the balcony
Where the apres ski starts at 1:30 pm
Where the nightlife throbs till 4am but dosnt keep the baby awake
And the lift passes are free for over 30's
Steep and deep dark blacky runs with bright sunshine and trees.
Tyroli Grostli, Tartiflit, fantastic pizzas all free with the lift passes.
Short lift queues, with only well behaved children in them.

How
They (Daughter & co) want to rent a car and drive from Zurich.
We offshore Europeans want to fly from Stansted or possibly Luton (Yuc)

Well I think this is just about mission impossible, best bet so far I believe is La Thuile, but that will be dismissed for some reason such as the apres ski is a bit thin and the pizza to thick.

I did suggest the "pre birthday bash" at Kronnenplatz, but that was immediately torpedoed

I look forward to reading your sympathetic suggestions Confused .com
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn, don't want much do you?! Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Thuile was great, I'd rather stay in the village than Planibel complex or possibly in Aosta, more for the non skier then too. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi RichardB! Your right ... I don't want much, its those others.

And hi there lilywhite as well!

Yep I think La Thuile is a very under rated ski location. I think if it was just me and the misses, the village would be bearable, but we found it a bit frosty after 10pm when the owners really wanted to go bye-byes.

I always wondered about Aosta, I've not been in the town just at the bottom of the Pila lift and the Super Market. It looks quite a big industrial place!
But thats the other thing about La Thuile .. you get a day in Pila & I think a day in Cormayer on the lift pass.
If we have a car there is always the possibility of a trip to Cervinia as well, so at the end of the holiday you can say you've been skiing in Italy France & Switz.

I 'll let you all know what's decided, then you can avoid bumping into us on the slopes.

My son has already rubbished it ... "Not enough exciting skiing!" & "Not enough apres ski".
I don't know how he can talk ... he didn't do the steep black icy thing back into the village, and he can't even get up in the morning let alone stay up all night!

Hasta la Pista!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

It looks quite a big industrial place!

It is. I spent 4 hours there last winter (well, laughingly called winter, but it was about 28 degrees down in the Aosta Valley) with a bust clutch, outside one of the entrances to the gigantic steel works. However, it's also an old and interesting city with a nice lift up to Pila (I didn't get to do that, but would still like to).
snow conditions
pam w 4 hours to fix the clutch! Thats not bad, they must have had good espresso.
I believe its got old walls built by the Romans to keep the elephants out.
Perhaps we'll see them.
Philib as there is only two of you and you are flexible on dates I suggest you watch 1) the weather conditions & 2) the prices
Then an offer will appear that you just cant resist.
The weather conditions can make or break a holiday so if you are flexible you should play that trump!
Good hunting.
latest report
pam w 4 hours to fix the clutch! Thats not bad, they must have had good espresso.
I believe its got old walls built by the Romans to keep the elephants out.
Perhaps we'll see them.
Philib as there is only two of you and you are flexible on dates I suggest you watch 1) the weather conditions & 2) the prices
Then an offer will appear that you just cant resist.
The weather conditions can make or break a holiday so if you are flexible you should play that trump!
Good hunting.
ski holidays
Philib, If you've got the cash Club Med, La Plagne would suit, just pay the price everything is included (flight, lift pass and ski intructor for the day. It is full board and all drinks alchoholic or not plus enough snacks to gain a stone are also included.
snow report
I booked my holiday last night. Couldnt resist the offer. Got 1 week in Pila coming. The coincedental thing is that this was the FIRST place I ever went skiing 10 years ago with the school and the Mrs was with me on the trip as well. We never said a word to each other (that I can remember) as we only hooked up when we was 18. Seems pretty fitting that we go back and relive the holiday we never had with each other lol.
ski holidays
Ah! how sweet ...romance will blossom on the slopes again!
snow report
If you meet us in 6 years time on the slopes with a kid called pila, you know we've had a result.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy