Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotunnel flexi upgrade from Peak Retreats. Valloire trip report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The flexi upgrade included with all Peak Retreats trips really proved its worth this morning for us; despite getting in the wrong check in queue, we were through and on the train in less than 15 mins, from when we passed through the 1st check in. The other queues looked massive. Then I got to park behind a £ 280 000 Ferrari on the train, and look at that for half an hour ( it had an £11000 3 layer paint upgrade, and an £8000 leather interior, inc boot). Then I got to pass it later using the telepeage doofer (or it was filling up with fuel). So feeling pretty righteous now, ensconced in a beautiful chambre d`hote near Dijon (Le Moulin a Espices, Chargey les Gray, 88 euro for family of 4, inc breakfast ) Off to local bar, before repas with hosts.
Arrive Valloire tomorrow, temperatures dropping, and some snow on the way. Never seen so many Brits heading down as today. Further reports when web thing access allows.
I have no connection with Peak Retreats, but would like further discounts for above publicity Laughing

So, now arrived at Valloire, Chalets de Galibier, just south of the town higher up the valley. Very clean and quite spacious apartment, and really helpful and friendly staff. My main worries about this trip were the traffic ( not bad ), negative Trip Advisor ratings on accomodation ( totally unfounded ) and crowded pistes/lift queues. There is a lift 30m away from the front door, and we have queued at 2 lifts in 2 days, for not more than 8 minutes. The pistes have been fairly empty until 11am, and we have lunched early at 12 to enjoy uncrowded pistes over lunch time. Mountain side eateries have been a bit expensive and not great food so far, but we had a great lunch in Valmienier centre on the far left as you come down. ( I`ll get some names up when I have time )

It has not snowed for a few weeks, but all pistes are in good condition, and the snow is good up high, but hard packed lower down with lots of artificial guff on top.
There is plenty of accessible off-piste around, and one or two unpisted blacks amongst the mass of blues and reds.
All good so far and a really pleasant surprise for the New Year. Light snow forecast tomorrow.
I am off into town to commence festivities! Happy New Year, and more later.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Edit bump to top !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

It has not snowed for a few weeks

gosh, that surprises me. Places further south must have done a lot worse this year - there's been heaps of snow in the last few weeks in the northern French alps.

Hope you have a good week - it will get busier this NY week. Ski at lunchtime when French people eat. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
New years day, pistes at resort boundaries really empty all day, and no lift queues at all.pam w, make that 3 weeks. Snowing lightly this evening, but spring like temps and little wind previously (4C average at bottom lifts); really pleasant. Good lunch at Le Estaminuet, Valmeinier 1800. Overcast tomorrow morning
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the plug cstreat, we do get a lot of complimentary comments about the FlexiPlus tickets Very Happy . It is not cheap at £398 when bought separately but when it is busy the benefits are particularly appreciated. Not sure the Ferrari was a Peak Retreats client though as the £50K a week chalets is not really our thing! The telepeage is definitely another useful way to save time as you can jump the queues at the tolls on the French motorway (it's generally the left lanes where you don't see cars stopping). You can now buy this in the UK https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/subscription?ref=Peak (take out the peak bit if you like as this is our code).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The slopes did fill up, but we had 10cm of snow followed by 3 more days of blue skies. It was easy to find uncrowded pistes, and in all I found Valloire to be a really pleasant surprise at New Year, after various previous bun fights in the Tarantaise. We stayed at the Ferme de Sainte Antoine b&b near Laon last night ( 90 euro for 4, really good beds ) and had another straight through experience at the tunnel today. Thanks XPeak, ; we have had a telepeage for 3 years now. Here`s a tip for vehicles over 1.85 at Calais; we have simply pulled over before the final barrier, and one of us has run back to the lounge, with the permission of the loading guy, and picked up food, papers, coffee etc with no problems.
Only 2 weeks til we are back out in the Haute Maurienne !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy