Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas in Switzerland 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I'm new and been recommended to come here from MSE, they seem to push a lot of business your way!

Anyway, I'm just here generally looking for some advice on a good resort to visit for Christmas 2013. We don't have too many requirements, but the ones we do have are...

1) Must be snowboarding (I know...dark side right?!)
2) We are novice snowboarders, we're currently learning at ChillFactore in Manchester, hoping to be a bit better by this time next year!
3) We're going to be 24 and 29 by the time we go, as much as our ages suggest we love clubs, we don't. So somewhere nice and quiet.
4) Preferentially we'd love to stay in a log cabin
5) As much as we love the snowboarding aspect, we don't want it to consume the whole holiday, we love messing about in the snow, having fun, and obviously some lessons to. Not so hardcore on the snowboarding!

And that is it! We're simply just looking for personal recommendations on a nice place for us to go in Switzerland. And we're going to be there Christmas Day too Smile

Thank you for any help
Gemma
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ChateauMarmont, welcome to Snowheads. Does it have to be Switzerland?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you Pam.

Yes it does, not through my choice but my friends, who has decided Switzerland is definitely the place we're going!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ChateauMarmont, whilst I normally recommend Wengen to people as a beautiful resort it's not perfect for boarders, several of the easiest runs are somewhat flat in place which means you have to unclip and push a bit

However It is a very quiet resort (except on NYE) with only a couple of clubs though you occasionaly get some nice piano playing at the Hotel Falken Bar (open to non guests)

It's an old resort there are a number of traditional chalets you could stay in that are self catering, though for Christmas you need to book well in advance, don't think anyone is currently doing a catered chalet holiday there though.

It's also one of the prettiest resorts in Switzerland, not quiet as stunning as Zermatt with it's chocolate box views of the Matterhorn but pretty close

If you are interested there's a whole massive thread on the area (Jungfrau region) that got so big it had to be split into two parts
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for your response. It's certainly given me things to think about!

One of the places that keep cropping up is Grindlewald is it? I've looked at photo's of the place and it looks absolutely awesome.

We're basically looking to book with a deposit then pay off over the course of this year. Luckily we don't need anything catered as I'm far too fussy with food to go any sort of catered way. But thank you, I will look at Zermatt too. This is going to be a dream holiday for us so basically want the best of everything!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ChateauMarmont, I prefer Wengen to Grindelwald, same area but Wengen is prettier, has almost no traffic (because the few vehicles there have been brought up by narrow gauge railway) and Grindelwald is down in the adjacent Valley whilst Wengen is on a South Facing Plateau this means that during Winter Grindelwald tends to hold the cold air whilst Wengen gets sun for most of the day.

Some of the rental Chalets are either ski in/out or very near ski in (walk out) which can be very nice, but teh disadvantage is that they will be a little further from the center of the village.

Wengen by the way has a small but reasonable coop a second grocey store and good bakers but for anything unusual food wise or for a better selection you'd need to go to Interlaken where there's a big supermarket right next to Interlaken Ost Station, the Shops in Grindelwald are similar.

Having been in Wengen during previous Christmases it's rather wonderful, New Year is also brilliant
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ChateauMarmont, you might want to consider Flims/Laax. It markets itself to snowboarders, but is as quiet or as groovy/cool as you want, depending where you stay. The slopes have very few flat sections so also good for boarders. If you want to do other stuff as well, there are plenty of great snowy walks through woodland. We're based there for our winter frolics (have a shufti at www.relaaxinthemountains.ch) and I could put you in touch with my agent if you were looking at an s/c apartment.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If money is no object then Switzerland is ok and Zermatt hard to go past. However, a lot of Swiss ski in France, Austia and Italy where the prices are not ludicrous a Switzerland
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Geno wrote:
If money is no object then Switzerland is ok and Zermatt hard to go past. However, a lot of Swiss ski in France, Austia and Italy where the prices are not ludicrous a Switzerland

I do wish this old chestnut would go away. Switzerland is not "ludicrously expensive" and unlike France, the prices in the supermarkets do NOT increase as you go up the mountain. In the centre of resort in Laax, we pay CHF 7 for a pint of beer from a small Swiss brewery (not your generic Heineken), which is rather less than any of the French mega resorts or Zurich city. It just annoys me when people reject Switzerland for being too expensive - and then go to somewhere like the Espace Killy, 3 Valleys or Paradiski
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch, 100% correct.

I ski a lot in Verbier, and every year for a day or two in Flaine and a few days in Meribel.

Prices for on mountain lunch, beers in the bars etc are about the same.
A place in Flaine that looked cheap n' cheerful was shockingly expensive for a Spag Bol.
Beers in Meribel made me gasp.
I know where not to go in Verbier....but the opportunity to pay a lot can be found if you want to!
All have Happy Hours and soup available.

I'm sure that if you go to lesser travelled spots, or much of Italy, then things are more reasonable.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ChateauMarmont, I think Laax is the big snowboarding distination in Switzerland?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ChateauMarmont,

Have a look at Saas Fee,

The perfect Alpine village 80% of the Buildings in the Village are completely Wood based and the perfect mix of quiet with two pretty busy clubs about the town if you want a mad night and normally tons of stuff in the Village square with Beer and Music for significant days like New Years.

The only problem would be the top of the Glacier is all Drag lifts but you can Gondola to the top and ride half way down and take chairs to avoid the Drags.

Tons of alternative activities in the village, and snow sure its open all year round (Closes for 1 month for construction)

Sadly it is pricey and can get very cold but when it is good it is amazing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello again!

Thank you for all the replies, just to let you know I am reading them all (currently at work so at least daydreaming about being in Switzerland is better than the actual work) and I'm taking all your advice onboard.

I have a ski brochure now with Crystal, and I'm loving the idea of Aspen but my friend is still hell bent on Switzerland. So I'll continue to take all your advice on board. Obviously money isn't as important as usual, budget is probably about £1k per person, for a week or ten days.

Hopefully we'll get something good for that!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for Wengen, which is lovely and conveniently situated in the middle of the ski domain. (I find Grindelwald oppressively dominated by the Eiger. It's not the friendliest of peaks...)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eng_ch wrote:
Geno wrote:
If money is no object then Switzerland is ok and Zermatt hard to go past. However, a lot of Swiss ski in France, Austia and Italy where the prices are not as ludicrous as Switzerland

I do wish this old chestnut would go away. Switzerland is not "ludicrously expensive" and unlike France, the prices in the supermarkets do NOT increase as you go up the mountain. In the centre of resort in Laax, we pay CHF 7 for a pint of beer from a small Swiss brewery (not your generic Heineken), which is rather less than any of the French mega resorts or Zurich city. It just annoys me when people reject Switzerland for being too expensive - and then go to somewhere like the Espace Killy, 3 Valleys or Paradiski

IMHO Switzerland is ludicrously expensive when compared to FR, AUT and ITA. The expat Cost of Living allowances attest to this as do the car parks full of Swiss plates in the carparks of cross border shopping centers and ski villages.

Skied GBO in France yesterday. Lift ticket was 30 euros and a slap up lunch of steak, San Pelligrino, chips and two bottles of 1664 came to 20eu. 50eu for the day. A day ticket at Parsenns was 56Chf. A cup of undrinkable coffee 5.50chf and a spaghetti Bol was 20chf.

Fair point about 3Vs though. Similar prices to Switzerland and not a place I would recommend unless
you are minted and don't mind being fleeced.
snow conditions
Geno,
Quote:

not a place I would recommend unless

you are minted and don't mind being fleeced.

If you are just the slightest bit sensible about where and what you eat and drink, you will not be fleeced. And imv the lift pass is worth every Euro for this wonderful domain.
snow conditions
And another +1 for the Jungfrau region. (ie Wengen.)
I haven't been to loads of other places, but so far I haven't felt like I was being fleeced any more or less hard than anywhere else.

Ive been there once, and loved it so much Im going back with 3 of my mates, 2 of whom have never snowboarded before and will be starting from scratch.
snow report
TBH I dont care if the masses still want to go to france, more mountain for me and I also dont think a lot of them would like CH what without the motorway grooming. Here you have to know how to ski.

ChateauMarmont, Take a look at my blog(in my sig) for some idea of the area and then at Laax as a boarder you will not go wrong.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 31-12-12 19:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

MHO Switzerland is ludicrously expensive when compared to FR

Some of the French resorts are just as expensive as Switzerland!
snow conditions
Fattes13, more so IME
snow report
Price of a couple of coffees and one pastry in a supermarket in Geneva today (the only place open relatively early, as far as I could tell) was about what I'd expect to pay up the mountain in my small French resort, though possibly less than one of the expensive resorts. And the coffee was poor.

Geno, does your friend have good reasons for being so hell bent on Switzerland? I suspect you'd struggle to get 10 days for £1000 and even for a week you might struggle unless you budget carefully.
snow conditions
Nope, she just said we're going to Switzerland and that's it! So we shall try and see what we come up with. We looked just to see how much Switzerland was costing as a last minute deal and it was about £500 per person this evening, so is it usually better to wait for late deals for it?

Obviously the budget can go up if needs be, I'm just basing it on what I've found so far for holidays there (those were for this year though)
snow report
Gstaad
ski holidays
If i dare to mention this little secret village in Switzerland (next to Wengen but higher and much better snow)......Mürren

take a look -

http://youtube.com/v/kwe36hitO-M
ski holidays
ChateauMarmont, but that £500 would leave out a lot - a 10 day lift pass would cost you the best part of £300 and there are masses of other extras, too.
latest report
pam w, A 6 day International pass in Zermatt is £285 Shocked
latest report
pam w, Laax is the largest linked resort entirely in Switzerland. A 6 day pass is £228 for 220 km of piste, 70% of which is over 2000m and hence very snow sure. It also has reduced rates all the way up to age 17 and from the end of March.
ski holidays
pam w, well not masses of extras but a few, In addition to the Ski Pass you might well need to hire board and boots if you don't have your own, on top of that theres your daily food, this in Switzerland is not very cheap, but it doesn't have to cost a fortune, Self catering means you can eat quite reasonably, you can even take the odd evening out and eat in local hotels very reasonably IF you choose the set menu, most Swiss hotels will post up on a board near the front door what their set menu for the evening will be, this is typically much much cheaper than eating in the same hotel off the A'la carte menu and will usually give great food

During the day you can take a packed lunch with you, some bread a little cheese/ham or whatever takes your fancy plus a small bottle of soft drink is only going to cost a few Francs, around Wengen there are plenty of sheltered places to eat your packed lunch, for instance there are all the waiting rooms at the various stations, in addition there are other specific areas such as a great picnic room at the upper end of the Grindelwald to Mannlichen Gondola with a massive picture window looking down to the valley below.

Personally I like to enjoy a light lunch on the slopes most days, I used (in the good old days when I could get 2 Swiss Francs to the pound) allow myself £15 a day spending money when I was in a half board hotel, that would buy me a nice lunch with a bottle of soft drink and give me enough left over for an after dinner drink or two, these days the pound does not buy quite so much but £20 a day ought to be possible to do something similar

6day ski pass 314 Chf or 9 days 403 Chf at todays rates thats £210 and £270

Oh and that gets you access to 214km of pistes

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 31-12-12 21:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf,
Quote:

IF you choose the set menu, most Swiss hotels will post up on a board near the front door what their set menu for the evening will be, this is typically much much cheaper than eating in the same hotel off the A'la carte menu and will usually give great food

This - not just in hotels, but in restaurants too - is what so many tourists wilfully ignore in France, and then complain about getting ripped off.

Quote:
6day ski pass 314 Chf...at todays rates thats £210
That's really not bad for such a big area (assuming it's for the whole Jungfrau region, though I seem to remember you had to pay extra on the Rothorn?) I think I need to get myself back to Wengen sooner rather than later. Toofy Grin
latest report
Pedantica, the Rothorn is shut during the winter so no it won't include that, however it does cover The trains and cablecars (and possibly the bus) from Interlaken Ost to the tops of Piz Gloria (above Murren) First (above Grindelwald) and up to Eigergletscher on the route up to Jungfraujoch plus of course all of the inter connecting lifts in the area and some of the buses.
ski holidays
D G Orf, it's a steal! Very Happy
latest report
Pedantica, actually the steal is if you can stay for a month or more with a months ski pass coming in at just 647 Chf and the whole season for a mere 895 Chf I used to save up and stay for a month, which if you factor in owning my own skis and boots means it didn't cost me vast sums
ski holidays
D G Orf, Very Happy
snow conditions
I'm sure the cost of half board hotel accommodation for a month in Wengen isn't insignificant though? Although overall cost per day is probably a lot more reasonable.
latest report
The TopCard season pass, which covers the whole of Flims/Laax/Falera, Davos/Klosters AND Lenzerheide costs from CHF 990 including the summer season. So that's a total of some 700+ km of pistes, and it breaks even after around 14/15 individual days (passes for consecutive days are obviously cheaper). Now that's a steal. Whereas I went to La Rosiere 3 times last season (which is comparatively reasonably priced) and it still didn't make sense to buy a season pass

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 31-12-12 22:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Claude B, the OP is looking for s/c
snow conditions
eng_ch, I know and not for a month or the whole season either wink
ski holidays
Claude B, Half board was not inconsiderable for a month though I used to get a huge discount which brought it down to a very fair price, I took the smallest room in the hotel with only a hand basin but it used to cost me a little over £40 per night half board ! Considering that included a buffet breakfast every day and a 5 course dinner each night I figured it was a steal, Very roughly I managed on between £1800 and £2200 plus the cost of getting out there and insurance
ski holidays
D G Orf, But that was a few years ago and at perhaps 2.5 to the pound?
ski holidays
Claude B, no, but the £ 214 / 228 figures that D G Orf and I are quoting are substantially less than pam w was trying to suggest. I'm just fed up with reading all this scaremongering about how expensive Switzerland is from people who mostly ski in France, and I want to kill this myth. It's France I find expensive. I'll be interested to see how Italy measures up in Feb.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy