Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women's skis - advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
I am considering purchasing a pair of ski's rather than renting for my holiday this year and am very confused as to where to start (other than by colour but as I kayaker I know that I should not buy expensive kit based on colour alone!).

I am 5ft 4 and weigh around 61kg. I am happy and competent skiing on red pistes and can do blacks when the snow conditions are good (the fluffier the better). I love skiing when there is powder. I generally ski in the Alps. I don't tend to head off piste as I am not usually insured to do so (unless with an instructor which is not often). I tend to freak out a lot when the conditions are icy, though after freaking out and lots of side slipping I can get down!. I have been skiing once a year for the past 8 or so years and skied when I was at school (but that was pre-carver skis!).

I would like skis that give me some confidence when the conditions are bad (i.e. that can handle the conditions so I can think about myself rather than them - I hired a pair of skis that did just this a few years ago and other than being K2's I did not think to write down which type they were Sad). I doubt that I will start doing anytihng like parks or extreme off piste skiing so they don't need to be able to worry about that. Otherwise they need to be suitable for zoming (safely!) down blue runs, cruising on red runs and a nervous trip down blacks. I understand from friends and instructors that my skiing ability is better in reality than my head thinks it is!

Which skis would people suggest I start looking at (other than the K2 Superfrees - which are very pretty!)? Once I have a shortlist I hope to be able to try some at Xscape in MK.

Thanks for your help.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Munchkin, Welcome to Snowheads. I guess if you're going to demo at MK you'll be limited to whatever Ellis Brigham stock. If you do a search on their site they stock about 15 different All Mountain/All Mountain Carve skis. One I would suggest you try are the Blizzard Viva 7.4 IQ + IQ LC 10 http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/viva-74-iq--iq-lc-10-viva/6175 I've the men's equivalent and my daughter has the next model up, they really helped her skiing.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 28-12-12 17:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Munchkin wrote:
I am considering purchasing a pair of ski's rather than renting for my holiday this year and am very confused as to where to start (other than by colour but as I kayaker I know that I should not buy expensive kit based on colour alone!).

I bought a pyranha inazone based on its colour. Bile green. Wonderful boat, everyone loved her. Was v sad when had to sell, and the colour proved popular. Colour is everything. My skis are red.

That doesn't help.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Claude B - thank you. Will look at them. If some skis are highly recommended I am prepared to take a bit of a gamble (especially if they are in the sales rather than full price) so I would welcome suggestions that are not necessarily stocked by Ellis Bringham.

OliviaDB - I bought my Sonic 9without trying) because it was purple. Fortunately it was a gamble that paid off!!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Munchkin, Have a look at the Salomon Enduros. They are all mountain and excellent on piste. I didn't really try them in powder, but if you get the chance, have a bash. I am the same height and weight as you, and I was using the 160cm which seemed about right.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Munchkin, are you thinking of branching onto off-piste? If not, really no point getting all mountain skis. Narrower piste skis will be better, especially to help you with your problems with ice.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, EB seem to now call piste skis all mountain carve Puzzled Those Blizzards are only 74mm.

You could always buy them elsewhere if you like them, in fact I think EB price match
http://www.filarinskis.com/ski/skis/ladies-skis/blizzard-viva-7-4-iq-ladies-skis-iq-lc10-viva-bindings-2013/prod_5915.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm a blizzard fan but I prefer the black pearls, they are wider than the viva's but still capable of holding an edge, much more fun in softer snow than the vivas, so if you venture onto side of piste and like it fluffy then I think the BPs are a better fit. When it gets to spring skiing they will deal better with the crud and softer conditions too.
I have my eyes on the mens version the Bushwacker as I am a lot taller and heavier than you. I only include that statement because some of the men reading will know the bushwacker capabilities rather than the black pearls and may be able to comment appropriately.
As a piste ski I enjoyed the K2 burnin luv, think now the superburnin? Might be one of them you tried? Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got the K2 superfrees last year and think they're great- I'm about your level too. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
K2 Burnin Love or whatever it is called now; hard to beat
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My OH is also on Blizzard Vivas, she loves them. Blizzard skis are not such a well known brand in the UK hence, great value. Very highly rated in Europe. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Munchkin, have a look at the Volkl Fuegos - I've had mine for 4 yrs, and still love them. Good on all pistes (incl ice Toofy Grin) and ok for dabbling off piste.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Love my Volkl Fuegos too but not available this season. Volkl has changed their women's ski range a fair bit & this season they are generally wider & all have rocker.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I also have K2 Superfree and highly recommend them
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Munchkin wrote:

OliviaDB - I bought my Sonic 9without trying) because it was purple. Fortunately it was a gamble that paid off!!!

Yep colour is the most important thing when buying skis, if the colours wrong then they are going to be wrong...period!

Not tried many K2s, the ones I've tried have been easy on the body, but a lady instructor I know swears by them, she said they will always look after you!
latest report
Blizzard Black Pearl. Try them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy