Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine Montsoleil Apartments location and taking baby....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, Me and my husband are going to Flaine with our non-walking 14 month old and granny for her baby sitting services. I got a few concerns over the location of Montsoleil. Is it easy enough to walk into town with a pushchair, is there a snowy pavement, how long does it take? If walking is not great idea and we have to take the shuttle bus, are you able to wheel the buggy on and off or is it a case of taking baby out and folding the buggy up?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wonderwoman, Hi, I havent stayed in the Montsoliel, but have stayed in Flaine Forum for the last 6 years for a week. The Apts you are in are an uphill walk from Flaine Foret, there isnt a pavement, but you could use the small green piste down, which you probably could take a buggy on, taking care of the skiers coming down from the Apts, we did walk up the track it was made on a few years ago, it probably took 10-15 mins to do so. You can ski back to it via a lift from Foret. The Sherpa supermarket in Forum will deliver food, its not that big and as expected is at mountain prices. Re food if there is a great deli in Les Carroz just off the main square where you can buy home made casserole type dishes and tartiflette. There is a ski bus you can take to get there, would make a nice day trip for granny, there is also a fantastic cake/coffee shop in Les Carroz on the road from the square towards the lifts for her to treat herself, and also everyone else as a takeout. Other posters may be able to give you better info on exactly where these are. Enjoy the skiing, you can get back to Flaine from anywhere on the GM within 45-50 mins if there are no major lift queues and all the links are open, so you can meet granny in Les Carroz for lunch etc Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi

I was in Montsoleil last week, before the access lift was working.

There is a 'pavement' (a protected area) which you can walk up and down the road to and from Foret with a buggy, much easier than using the piste! Also the shuttle bus is fine for walk on/off with a buggy but avoid at times it will be busy with skiers. That would be stressful. It's about 10 mins walk to/from Foret area. Maybe more on the uphill stretch!

In the evenings the residence offers a free minibus service and the driver will take you (locally) where you want to go and pick you up if you ring him. This service is until about 11pm. Of course you will need to fold the buggy for this!

Enjoy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brilliant, thats reassuring to know that she can get on and off the bus easily if she doesn't fancy walk. Really good to hear about bus going to les carroz I'm sure granny would like a day out, I didn't realise there was a bus going round the towns.

Thank you
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wonderwoman, As frogslegs says there is a (usually) snowy pavement from Montsoleil into Flaine Foret (the upper part of Flaine). Maybe 20/25/30 minutes to walk with a buggy to where the skiing starts. Flaine Foret then links to the lower level of Flaine Forum (the main part) with free passenger lifts - large cabins on a funicular style track which you'll easily get a buggy in. Most shops are down in Forum. There are also events on certain evenings in Forum e.g. mulled wine welcome evening, fireworks, skiing through the ages by the instructors - all good to see but allow a good half hour from Montsoleil. There are two lifts operating from Foret to Forum usually, the nearest to you is from next to the shopping centre. Regards.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As a granny who has been baby-minding for much of the last week - I'd say - it is really difficult using buggies on icy pavements It's impossible to carry it up and down steps, and impossible safely to take baby in one arm and buggy in the other, unless granny is an Olympic weightlifter. The best way (this is with a 9 month old) is with a combination of a baby sling PLUS extremely good non slip things on the boots and a backpack with bit in if necessary, leaving you two hands free for grabbing onto hand rails by steps etc. Pavements/tracks of any kind can get lethally icy. If it snows, you can forget the buggy, especially if it has little wheels.

Apart from being a baby-minding granny I am also a skier and occasional snowboarde, but I still struggle with a small child and icy surfaces. If your granny is not used to icy/slippery surfaces she will probably be quite apprehensive. DO get her some really good crampon things for her walking/snow boots, it will make a huge difference if she feels confident of her footing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flaine - Montsoleil apartments

We're off to Flaine in Feb staying at the Montsoleil appts in a 1 bedroom appt. Has anyone stayed here before and can recommend a specific appt number I can request for good views, south facing etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FLAINE - Ski Hire

Has anybody got any recommendations for ski-hire in Flaine. Looked on various websites and there appears to be quite a few places in Flaine to hire from, anybody got any personal experiences of using any of them?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
juliebeb, someone with good local knowledge can tell you which is the nearest to where you'll be staying - some places in flaine are a long way from others. If you book online through skimium.com you might well get a better price than just walking in.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
juliebeb, If using an apartment rental agent (immobiliere) you'll probably get a hire discount voucher. I think (others may confirm) that Montsoleil has its own hire shop because it's outside of the main village (its own mini-complex) and it would be a slog to hire anywhere else unless you pick them up on the morning you ski on the way to the main lifts. Having said that the Montsoleil apts have their own access lift so if there isn't much in it price-wise it would be more convenient to hire at the apt. If going with a TO they'll sort it for you anyway and some do their own discounts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No ski shop in Montsoleil but at weekends the residence shuttle minibus service is supplemented by a shuttle service from Ski Set, they'll take you down and bring you back again with all the kit, and reception will sort it all out for you. Quite painless! If you prebook make sure it is with Ski Set in Flaine Forum to get best service from these shuttles.

Enjoy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy