Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie Alert! Off to Verbier in 2 days...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

First post of here and COMPLETELY new to skiing, so be nice Wink

My names Ryan, I've just turned 28 and never been skiing before and 10 off us are off to Virbier on the 30th of this month.

Essentially the in-laws are buying a chalet in the Alps next year and with our little trip next week, I want to get into this snow game.

Being a rather experienced mountain biker, I'm used to steep hills but not really when they're covered in snow and I've got 2 planks of wood attached to my feet lol...

Been doing a shed load of research over the past few weeks but obviously still don't have a clue what I 'really' need.

I'm not one to rent stuff, I'd rather but all the gear and if I hate it, keep it in the loft for the next 5 years and then sell it on eBay for a huge loss Wink

Off to Tallington Lakes today to enquire/buy a lot of the basics... I've already got a lot of cold weather gear due to my mountain biking (seal skin socks and gloves, base layers, buffs, thermal under layers).

Now I'm 185cm tall and a muscular 86kg / 190lb bloke with UK11 / EUR45 feet.

I've been looking at getting a pair of 29-5 2011 Salomon Impact 8 CS boots and a pair of 174 2012 Atomic Nomad Blackeyes w/XTO 12 bindings (maybe even the Ti version if logical?)... As for goggles, probably just a set of Oakleys around the £100 mark (any recommendations).

Would you lot say I'm kinda on the right track here re: sizing etc? I don't want to buy rubbish and I know this will be this beginning of a lifelong hobby, so I don't mind spending the money.

And now for more the ski side of things, I'm a very active guy. I've played rugby for 15 years, love scuba diving and MTBing, and I also a world record holding weight lifter, so pretty well rounded/fearless/little bit insane lol...
I used to do a lot of roller blading which I picked up with ease, so I'm hoping I'll do the same with skiing?...

Oh well, that's my brief introduction. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hope to be spending a lot more time on here and learning to love skiing!

Cheers all,

Ryan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I'm not one to rent stuff, I'd rather but all the gear and if I hate it, keep it in the loft for the next 5 years and then sell it on eBay for a huge loss

I would really advise you not to buy skis, boots fine, but if you pick up skiing easily you will want to change skis very quickly, perhaps even within the first few days. If you can bear it, rent (you can rent premium ski if you want the latest kit). By renting for a week or two you will ensure that you have the right skis and will improve quicker and get to the powder and fun stuff much faster than sticking on a pair of ski that you struggle with or that don't do what you want.

Renting means you can also swap around and work out what you like, race skis, powder skis, park etc.. -Buying skis that do not sit your style of skiing could be a little like someone buying a DH bike to ride on the roads, or a fixie to take on the mountains - sure you could do it, but it would be no fun.

P.S. if you do buy boots - get them fitted properly by a decent boot fitter.

Of course if you have loads of money and don't care, then go for it, I can help you chose a pair for €1000, and 'll even provide coffee.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your reply mate.

Is it imperative that I get the boots fitted before my first trip? Obviously I only have 2 days to get this sorted!

It looks like I'll have to pay around £200 for a weeks ski rental which isn't too bad. Can you preempt which type of ski would suit my body type? In my head I'm going to be quite an aggressive / fast skier since that's how I was on 'blades. Transferring that on to snow will be my main challenge, but hopefully once I've got my balance, I should pick it up ok...... Famous last words!

Cheers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ryan_w, Boot fitting really means that you get the right fitting boots for your feet, etc and getting adjustments made. It takes a couple of hours or so. There is one guy at Tallington who is pretty capable. I think you'll find once you get on your skis you'll be pretty aimless at first, everyone is. Sounds like you should pick it up pretty quickly though, I skated before skiing and it helps with balance to an extent. You're having lessons I assume?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes I'll be having lessons. My Mrs was an instructor in Val d'Isere just before I met her 4 years ago. So I'm going to have a few independent lessons and then let her guide me as best she can!

There's 10 of us going and I'm the only complete newbie, no pressure!

Hugely excited tho, I feel like a kid going to Disney Land!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick at Mountain Air in Verb is good for boots. Don't bother trying to get it sorted in the UK before you go. I'd still suggest you rent but if you decide not to, he's probably the best fitter in resort.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I forgot - they work by appointment. Probably best to have a chat with them/him.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ryan_w, Welcome to snowheads. An enthusiastic bunch, and lots of advice available: it is however, worth pointing out that said advice will come from across the spectrum, and will undoubtedly contradict itself many times over.

And don't forget this is a wonderful way of spending every single penny of spare cash you have, and quite often, cash you don't have spare. It soon becomes a truly addictive, wonderful, amazing way to spend your life.
Having said that, not everyone 'gets it', my sister tried 5 times before recognising that sliding down hills was not for her. Alternatively, Mrs Roll was ambivalent, and it took 3 trips before the bug caught properly (and then we bought a place out there...).

Quote:

My Mrs was an instructor in Val d'Isere [...] then let her guide me as best she can!

ooooh. Nasty. Still... probably more survivable this way round than having the alpha male teaching the little girly. Laughing

ENJOY!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ryan_w, yes, if you are going to buy boots, imperative to have them fitted. But better to rent everything to start with. If you were definitely going to like skiing, it would be worth getting boots, but only if they are 100% right for you. But not worth getting skis. It sounds as though you are strong and athletic and keen, and after your first week or so you are definitely not going to want beginner skis. But equally, starting to learn on high-end skis is more difficult than it needs to be.

You will get a lot of sometimes conflicting advice here, but I'd be surprised if anyone suggests you buy skis before even having put a foot on the snow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

and will undoubtedly contradict itself many times over.

no it won't.

Ryan - you wouldn't happen to be Welsh would you? If so, there is a group of Welsh rugby guys (current club and past internationals) who descend on Les Arcs 1950 every year, usually whilst the 6 Nations is on. Sounds like you might fit in as some of them are relative newbies.

And don't get lost - it's Verbier.

Have a good one!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ryan_w, welcome to sHs snowHead The MTB kit will be fine but ditch the seal skinz and get some decent thin skiing socks. Enjoy snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
don't buy skis, don't buy boots (yet). your level and what you need from gear will likely change quickly.

DO get lessons, verbier is not an easy resort for learners till you work out which bits to avoid.

Enjoy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ryan_w wrote:
It looks like I'll have to pay around £200 for a weeks ski rental which isn't too bad.

Yes it is! You clearly have too much money if you don't consider that a rip off. Give me some. *waves pistol*

But seriously - not having skied in Verbier I don't know if that's a stupid price for there, but that's a stupid price for everywhere else I've been. I was normally able to get for around €100 for a week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Switzerland might be vastly more expensive - I don't know - but certainly in France you'd get beginners skis and boots for £100, less if you book in advance online. Is Verbier a complete ripoff?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Switzerland was rated the most expensive place to live in Europe I was reliably informed yesterday - what used to be 2.5 CHF to the £ is now 1.5 CHF to the £. Ouch. £200 for a week's ski hire isn't beyond the realms of possibility and Verbier is super expensive, even in the summer!

The terrain looks pretty damn good though (from an MTB perspective). I'll hopefully be skiing it for the first time in a few weeks time...
ski holidays
Blimey. Just checked out prices for ski hire in verbier with skiset. 250 Ch Fr for 6 day hire of "mid range" boots and skis.
snow report
Thanks for all your comments guys!

I took the plunge today and bought some 2013 Atomic Hawx 90 boots in 28.5 (smaller than I thought I'd be), also had them heated and fitted properly. I also purchased some gloves, boot bag, Oakley goggles, bobble hat and 32 socks. Nearly £700 bloody quid!

I'm not planning on buying any skis for my next few trips but I can't flicking wait to get out there!

No I'm not from Wales, I live in Stamford but am originally from Cambridge.

I'll be sure to post some pics on here while I'm away Wink

Again, thanks for the warm welcome all!

Ryan
ski holidays
Dont buy

Rent your gear this time

Buy next time when youve had more time to make the right choices.Last minute boot fitting is not advisable.

Boita'skis on the way up to Medran are very very helpful well located and will normally throw in locker hire for the week. Ask for Tamara.

Youve left it late though fella.one of the busiest weeks of the year.

If your Mrs is an ex instructor then fair enough,she should be giving you the best advice.Being too adventurous for your ability can get you in big trouble in Verbier so be careful and show massive respect for the mountain and the other skiers around you by being sensible.

Oh and make sure you get insured and add the extra 'carte neige' insurance onto your lift pass.

Skiing aside Verbier will be very busy ,take lots of wad and enjoy the Apres wink

Let us all now how you get on.

I will be there on 24th cant wait....

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 29-12-12 0:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Ryan_w, You could have had a quick slide on the slope while you were there Happy I spend many an hour there as my daughter is ski instructor shadowing!
latest report
Doh
snow report
I was served by a really helpful guy at Tallington, young chap but knew his stuff. I'll definitely be purchasing my skis from there in the near future.
snow report
Ryan_w, enjoy the hills. There's not many around Stamford, iirc.
snow conditions
Ryan_w, Dan?
ski holidays
Not sure what he was called. Young lad around 20 with longish blonde-ish hair... His parents are both Swiss but he was born over here.
latest report
On the plane about to leave... Super excited!

Will keep you all updated on my progress (or lack of) lol...

Ryan
snow report
Have a great time. I keep looking at skis though not seriously. with how much they now charge for ski carriage and the need to wax them etc keeps putting me off, and the number of occasion that you end up on a run with a few stones coming through and thinking I am glad these are hired skis.
snow conditions
Quote:

32 socks

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
pam w, And you boogers think I obsess about foot odor Shocked though I do like the concept of buying socks in single units, 'cos I'm dammed if i know where some of the bloody things disappear to?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B,
=
Colin B,

? How?
snow conditions
Quote:

And you boogers think I obsess about foot odor

I'm not keen on foot odour but I do find that washing socks is remarkably effective in getting rid of it.
snow report
pam w, well yes it is and that's why I don't have 32 socks . . . still use the Vicks 'cos I do work hard and my boots get very steamy.
snow report
gatecrasher, Someone on the PSB insisted on calling me Claude Francois from the moment she met me, I never quite worked out why (he was a French singer who died about 40 years ago). I'll get it changed back sometime soon.
ski holidays
Claude B, OK now I understand . . . and now I'm sooooo glad I wasn't on that trip Shocked
snow report
Claude B, erm..Colin B, I didn't realise you can change names that easily, does that mean your real name is up for grabs while it's in the closet! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
gatecrasher, Talltone did it for me and yes it is. Already confusing enough as there is aso a colinb Very Happy
snow conditions
Claude B, Oh right! Though you will always be Colin, to me! wink
snow conditions
I am LOVING it out here. Scenery is out this world!

Got my skis all sorted and I've got my one-on-one lesson at 09:30 for 3 hours. Lets hope it all goes well!

Already halfway through this:

Oops......
latest report
Greenstick fracture and ruptured ligaments.
Holiday ruined on the first day... CHEEEEEEERS!

latest report
Ryan_w, Sad Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
Ryan_w, that's really miserable. Sad What were you doing at the time? Was it the skiing or the booze wot did it?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy