Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packed Out Liner and Hell Lift - please help a newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would be great if anyone could help.

I currently have Salomon Performa 8 boots bought in '06 and skied them about 7 weeks and I'm noticing a lot of room in them as well as quite a bit of heel lift. I spoke to a guy in snow and rock and he said just by looking at my feet (in my work shoes) that I had the wrong boots and I needed a new pair. Moreover they've probably packed out so can't be saved.

Simply my question is - is he right? I thought ski boots would last a lot longer than just 42 days wear. Is there anything else I can do as I don't really fancy shelling out the best part of £300.

Many thanks, Marty
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just seen it says hell lift...it's not quite that bad lol. Meant heel *blushing like the new kid in class* doh!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowheads. Depending on the quality, liners will pack out in 80-100 days of use give or take. The SR guy may be right but without properly checking must have been guessing. It might be that the boots were always a bit too big. It's possible to get new liners, get a second opinion.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i've had my Salomon boots for over 12 years (15/18 weeks skiing tho' )- and they are just as tight when i bought them (but I bought them with a 'very' tight fit !!). get a 2nd opinion. Or how about 'formable' insoles ???
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MartySki, it could be that your boot shells are too large for you. Makes for a comfortable fit in the shop when you first buy, but problems later. However, your really need an expert boot fitter's opinion. If you live anywhere remotely near Bicester, snowHead CEM would be well worth a visit - but I strongly suggest you make an appointment first.

And welcome to snowHeads Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome to snowheads! snowHead

First, as achilles pointed out, check if the shell is too big. I'm told less than two fingers between end of heel and shell (without liners) when your toes are all the way to the front. If the shell is too big, you would be wasting time/money trying to save it.

If the shells are the right size and shape, you could add more material on the heel (outside the liner) to take up the volume and stop the heel from lifting. But it's reallyn just a temporary solution that may work a couple more weeks at most.

Switching to formable liners usually requires the help of a boot fitter anyway. Might as well work with a professional and make sure you got the right shell.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MartySki, Also, if you've lost weight it can make a difference too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If the shells are too large, and that is a common mistake (boots bought for comfort in the shop), there is not a lot that can be done to improve their performance. If however the shells are okay, then look at after-market liners like Zipfit or Intuition. Best advice... see a competent boot fitter.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MartySki,

Welcome, and yep go see a bootfitter, I am a size 10-10.5 foot in normal shoes and boots. I have always bought my own boots online in what i assumed was a 10.5 ( Mondo 29 )

I have just had a proper boot fitting and ended up with a Mondo 27.5 boot. So it depends on your foot and the boot, ect ect.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MartySki, try shell checking your boots. Take the liner out of the inside. Put your foot into the now empty shell, carefully to avoid pinching your skin anywhere, and push your foot as far forward as it will go. Now you may need a friend to help, but take a look down the back of the boot. Then let us know how big the gap is, and we can give you an idea of whether they are done for.

42 days out of a ski boot is ok, kind of depends what you are doing in them - skiing hard all day every day for 42 days is different to 10-3 with an hour for lunch.

I have managed to get by with a pair of boots that were a bit on the loose side by a boot fitter putting a hard foam pad on either side of the achilles, stuck onto the liner. They effectively tightened up the back of the boot, and stopped the heel lifting. It was a stopgap, but it got another 2 weeks out of the boots for £10 before having to spend money to sort it properly and get some new boots.

Oh, and the salesperson in S&R is in the business of selling boots. Of course he told you that you needed new boots. A good bootfitter will tell you if your boots are ok, and how to get them sorted. Or if you need new boots. The guy in S&R also has very limited tools available to be able to get a boot to fit - for example fitting the foam pads above would be difficult for them, because they don't have the sheets of foam required to do it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monium wrote:
MartySkifor example fitting the foam pads above would be difficult for them, because they don't have the sheets of foam required to do it.

S&R do have these, they can do most things with a boot, at least they could when I worked there 3 seasons ago!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow - thanks for all the responses guys.

I've checked the shell and can get 1 finger and a squashed 2 fingers behind my heel without the liner so I think the shell is about the right size.

Monium, we usually ski a fairly full day - 10-5pm with about 30 mins for lunch and over the years I've gone from blue/red to being happy all round the mountain so maybe skiing harder has packed out the liner? And I have to agree I did get the impression that the guy at SR was trying to sell me some new boots and footbeds rather than try to save my boots rolling eyes

Is there a simple way to test if a liner has gone? I'd rather pay say £50 to get two more weeks out of my boots than feel pressured in to buying new. Achilles - thanks for the suggestion about CEM (he seems very highly recommended but think he's a bit to far away) as I live in Manchester. Can u suggest anyone around the north?

Thanks Marty
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MartySki, if you need someone in the north have a chat with Graham at Rivington alpine in Chorley, not sure about the size as i am wondering what 1 finger and a squashed 2 fingers is... if you mean nearly 3 fingers then they are quite probably too big..... in an ideal world talk in mm 5-10mm *&^%ing tight race fit, 10-15mm performance, 15-20 comfort/performance balance 20-25mm comfort-lunch.... now everyone is different and a lot depends on the volume and shape of the foot as well as the tolerance of the skier and whilst talking how much space there is in the shell is very simple, without seeing it and the shape of the foot/boot together then it is all guesswork, go see Graham, see what he says, if you need a new boot then trust him and buy one, if he thinks a bit of foam padding will do the job then go with that
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks CEM.

There's about a 15-20mm gap between my heel and the shell of the boot.

Maybe I do need some new boots, I just got the impression that I was seen as a walking pound sign in SR and was sceptical as I've only had 6 weeks wear from my boots.

I'll go and see Graham and follow his advice.

Thanks, Marty
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MartySki, I and my wife normally go and see CEM, but she needed some boot work and we had no trips down south planned, so we went to see Graham. Heather was very impressed so I think a trip to him would be very beneficial. Worth ringing first to make an appointment......
latest report
Go and see Graham at Rivington Alpine in Adlington, which is 8 to 10 minutes drive from Junction 6 of the M61 (Reebok Stadium junction).

Graham won't try to flog you new boots if you don't need them. Likewise, if your boots are too big, he'll be brutally honest with you!! The guy is sound.
snow conditions
6 weeks wear is much too little. I've had about 19 and they are still OK, though a little loose.
ski holidays
MartySki, My first boots turned out to also be a bit too big and in the finish I also got heel lift. I went back to my fitter and he was able to add some inserts around the liner and we added a footbed (which I hadn't purchased initially) to also take up some space. I am now quite happy with the fit of my boots.

NB. If you click into the edit icon to the right of your OP you will be able to edit the thread title wink
snow conditions
Thanks guys!

Went to see Graham this weekend. What an awesome guy. He was straight up and sorted me out. We had a good chat and between us decided to get some footbeds put in as well as some padding around the heel and my boot now feels 100 times better.

I did try on a boot - Full Tilt Booster - was an awesome fit and a quality bit of kit and certainly worth £280, but I was honest about my budget and there was no pressure to buy. The reality is I could do with better fitting and stiffer boot but the post Christmas budget thought otherwise.

After my experience I can't recommend Graham and everyone else at Rivington Alpine highly enough. Great service and I'll def be back. Anyone in the NW looking for boots should go and see him.

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions. Wishing you lots of Pow and fresh tracks. Marty. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy