Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recovering from a ruptured Achilles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going in for the op tomorrow. Anyone been through this injury and what did you do for recovery?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had a rupture just before Christmas last year, but no op. Conservative treatment with a Vacoped (Rooney) boot. This meant I could still be a bit active, so no muscle atrophy in my upper leg. Make sure your physio knows what activities you will go back to and follow the exercises to the letter and do them religiously. Feels about 98% now. Will see how skiing goes in a few weeks.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Suggest you type "achilles" into Forum Search. Plenty of comment and advice to be found.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skir67, Had a major op to find the loose ends of mine (10" scar). There are a number of different ways they fix the ends together and you need to tell your consultant that you're very active and you will be returning to intense sports and skiing in particular. I may influence him to use a better method for a stronger repair than one of the more cosmetically pleasing styles. Think mine was called the 'Warsaw' repair and it required the removal and use of my Plantar tendon as the stitching material . . . not pretty pictures and the scar's ugly but it's off center so it can't rub in my boots.

I was in resin for 6 months, a little longer than usual, 4 casts total at increasing angles and a brace toward the end before I started active rehab. The physio dept. then takes over and it will be sore . . . very sore as you will be stretching and tearing scar tissue and if you want full range of motion then rule 5 and whatever pain meds you're willing to take . . . better to grin and bear it, you get a better idea of your progress. All your rehab will be stretch and strength and most important balance. So get your own gel balance puck and use it whenever you are cleared to do so by physio.

I was back on skis/board in 11 months and very wobbly but 100% now and it's the whole one that's giving me gyp now when running Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some surgeons will operate , others just put into a boot or plaster.
Ask your surgeon when you can start stretching and strengthening.
Then see a physio, they should ensure you get there as quickly as possible and regain you flexibility and strength.
You will need to rehab for at least six months.
You should be able to ski next winter but this one isnt going to happen- sorry.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonathan Bell, Welcome to snowHead s
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonathan Bell, welcome to the madness. IIR surgery's the only option for a full separation but it's more common for the tendon only to be partially torn, I was told that's even more painful than my complete tear, and then yes, frequently no surgery just incremental casts. I was cleared to ski after 5 months but I REALLY worked on my rehab . . . even then it was another 12 before there was no stiffness or pain. Used Swiss Bio oil on the scar which worked well on the scar, quite surprised my consultant on just how well, to reduce inflammation and collagen lumpiness, my scar is completely flat and doesn't rub in my boot at all.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque wrote:
skir67, Had a major op to find the loose ends of mine (10" scar). There are a number of different ways they fix the ends together and you need to tell your consultant that you're very active and you will be returning to intense sports and skiing in particular. I may influence him to use a better method for a stronger repair than one of the more cosmetically pleasing styles. Think mine was called the 'Warsaw' repair and it required the removal and use of my Plantar tendon as the stitching material . . . not pretty pictures and the scar's ugly but it's off center so it can't rub in my boots.

I was in resin for 6 months, a little longer than usual, 4 casts total at increasing angles and a brace toward the end before I started active rehab. The physio dept. then takes over and it will be sore . . . very sore as you will be stretching and tearing scar tissue and if you want full range of motion then rule 5 and whatever pain meds you're willing to take . . . better to grin and bear it, you get a better idea of your progress. All your rehab will be stretch and strength and most important balance. So get your own gel balance puck and use it whenever you are cleared to do so by physio.

I was back on skis/board in 11 months and very wobbly but 100% now and it's the whole one that's giving me gyp now when running Evil or Very Mad

I had told them that I am a ski teacher and it was very important for me to get this working again as well as possible. I've now had the op and been out of hospital a couple of days. I was pleased that they gave me the option of an op or the cast only method. I thought I might have to argue to get the op. I'm going to be in plaster for 6 weeks then 2 weeks out but no load bearing and then physio can commence, at least I think that's what they're saying. I need to get full clarification when I return in 2 weeks to get the cast changed again.

Thanks for the info and please feel free to throw any more advice my way.

As a bit of a 'silver lining' to the whole ordeal as I can't go skiing this season again I think I'll take some of the money and invest it in an airbag back pack. snowHead

Got to keep positive! Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonathan Bell wrote:
Some surgeons will operate , others just put into a boot or plaster.
Ask your surgeon when you can start stretching and strengthening.
Then see a physio, they should ensure you get there as quickly as possible and regain you flexibility and strength.
You will need to rehab for at least six months.
You should be able to ski next winter but this one isnt going to happen- sorry.

Thanks for the advice. You've pretty much confirmed what I was thinking about the possibility of skiing again this season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy