Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

solden - late season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering getting a late season short trip to Solden in mid-April.
What are the chances that resort runs will be open?
I know it's not physics (more a non-learned guess), but based on recent years - what are my chances of getting down from the glacier to the base?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went april 9th in 2011. No runs open down to solden itself that time of year, but loads were from the mid stations upwards. Plenty of skiing and the glaciers offer lots of good snow to enjoy. We had the added bonus of a 3ft dump on day 3. This lasted the week! Everyone would just get the gondola back down around 3-4pm from the mid stations and hit the bars at the bottom. Would definately recommend as a late season option.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks.
One question - I unserstand from your reply that the resort runs weren't closed because of lack of snow - lack of people?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
michaelr, Usually a mixture of both situations. Why keep the time-consuming grooming going on the valley runs when there are not many people using them? Most mainlanders stop skiing after Easter and head for the sun and beaches of the Med instead.

That leaves the upper and very extensive run options for us to play on in peace and quiet - enjoy it. It will be fun enough skiing from the top of the glaciers back down to the Giggijoch top station! snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lack of snow, not people. Thawing too quick below 1500 metres.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Too be honest the runs back to base in Solden aren't the best anyway, all the best skiing is >2000m.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I you really want to be able to ski down to the valley you can try Obergurgl (15km from Solden). I went there in second part of last April and no problems at all. Actually I found Obergurgl (its ski area, not the village itself) a bit more interesting than Solden.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i always go march solden. went last year in dec and the snow fall was mad. lots of runs closed, blizzzrads etc. early march is a great choice in my experience. april youll find yourself with restrictions as bottom runs will be melted most likely
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peterjones3, If the slopes are still managed, the snow stays longer. But as the number of customers falls, the resorts stop managing the least favoured runs and lifts. So it is actually a mixture of both. The valley runs in Sölden are not that popular and the vast majority of people download even when the runs are kept open. It is difficult to keep melting runs open but other places manage at lower altitudes because they are popular runs. Ski Welt (Wilder Kaiser) is a classic example of where they keep the valley runs open by managing them right up until the last day of possible. I've skied down from the top of the Ellmau and Scheffau slopes on the last day of their seasons before now - always slushy but very much open!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy