Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any personal recommendations for decent ski area nearest to New York City??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there --am thinking of visiting old friends (yes ..really OLD friends of my youth!! Blush ) in the USA during the first months of 2013 and would like to combine city life with a few days of ski somewhere nice and not too far from NYC. Any personal tips and recommendations welcome! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can try Hunter Mountain or Wyndham for the closest places. They are...ok.
But...I would advise you to NOT go on a Saturday or Sunday. It is just painfully crowded and you'll spend half the day waiting in line. Not a lot of fun..
I'd instead recommend taking a full weekend and driving/taking a bus to Vermont. Much better skiing, IMO. Or head to far western NY. There are some buses that run from Paragon Sports in Union Square directly to different mountains. It includes your lift pass in the price. You can also look further west in NY as well, however I'm not as familiar with those mountains. There are some trains that run that way and then you'd take a cab to the mountain.

Good luck!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lkeyes, thanks for that. Very Happy
Yes, I think I'd opt for Vermont; did a weekend in Stowe many years ago... seemed uncrowded at the time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also look into Killington - can be freezing cold, but there is some skiing to be had. Hunter 'mountain' is a joke. Little Angel
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FranzKlammer, Thanks, will investigate that! Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Julieanne, don't forget your banjo if heading to Wyndham or Hunter... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name, oo--sounds like fun! Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Such a lot of snobbery about the various New England spots.

Hunter can be great fun, personally I used to prefer Gore.

Anywhere can be flippin cold IF you go when it is flippin cold (one time in Gore it was so cold that you simply could not ski in the shade, the small marginal difference between sun/shade was the marginal difference between possible/impossible).

I'd love it if I could have a hill of the quality of Hunter just 2.5 hours from where I live in the UK.

OK...you wouldn't go there on holiday, but for a weekend, even a day trip, when the conditions are good....great fun.

For a weekend trip, NYC based, bear in mind Okemo, Mount Snow, Jimminy Peak, Stowe, Killington and a few others that don't sping to mind.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp wrote:

For a weekend trip, NYC based, bear in mind Okemo, Mount Snow, Jimminy Peak, Stowe, Killington and a few others that don't sping to mind.

Wow-- that's really what I need-- some tips of places nearby-- as my time will be limited. It's a mad idea really-- to combine seeing old friends (who don't ski.. Sad ) with being selfish and needing to sample snowy hills...but hey--it's winter, so cold is no problem....oh--I'm getting quite excited!

Thanks for the help. Very Happy Very Happy !!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did Killington by Amtrak from Manhattan a few years ago and was pretty cheap and a nice way to travel.
The skiing wasn't bad at all, not a huge area but certainly good fun for a few days and the après was good by N. American standards.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Julieanne, I headed to mount snow last time I was in new York, it seemed to be the best mountain closest(ish), to nyc
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steve.S, kitenski, Thanks-- both these sound good, will do some research and may decide where to go once I am over there. But will make sure to avoid weekends.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Julieanne, killington probably bigger but further away.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, yes, I imagine Killington would be good for a longer stay. But as I'd only have a few days I googled Mount Snow which looks ideal, as there is a ski in ski out hotel--and only 4 hours drive from NYC. Sounds ideal!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Julieanne, same conclusion I came to Smile and I did loads of research. You can probably find some closer hills that have night skiing.
ski holidays
Don't go there on a weekend!

In fact, don't go to any of the above mentioned on a weekend, unless you fancy standing in your ski boots in the cold a lot.

Depends on how many days you have for skiing, and exact days in January you're going. Keep in mind there's a public holiday in January that you should AVOId.

Almost all of the mountains are best reached by hiring a car. The locals take the PATH train across the river to Hoboken, NJ to pick up the car. You can easily save 30%! Or you can also try the new ZipCar.

Assuming you want to do it on a mid-week day, here's the list:

1) Day trip distance (2-2 1/2 hr one way) -- Hunter, Windham, Belleayre. Of these, Hunter is the largest and has the most varied terrain. All three will be madly crowded on weekends.

If you decide on a single day at Hunter (best of the 3), PM me. I have a good friend who has a season pass there and religiously skis every single day condition allowed. He'll be more than happy to give you a full mountain tour.

If you must do one day on the weekend (can't see why), there's a hidden gem named Plattekill that's a bit further than Hunter but still doable as day trip. It doesn't do much man-made snow, so check how many trails open vs the total to gauge how much snow there is to decide if it's worth taking the trip. It's a mountain for intermediate to advance skiers. But if I remember correctly, we've met in one of the EoSB and you ski well enough to enjoy it. It's not open mid-week.

2) 2-3 days (4-5 hr drive one way)-- Mt. Snow, Stratton, Okemo, Pico, Killington, Gore, Whiteface. Killington has the most extensive terrain. Mt Snow is not too shabby either. Stratton probably has the best grooming on motorway cruising type of runs, with Okemo not far behind. All can be quite crowded on weekends.

Haven't been to Gore but heard it's got nice terrain. Whiteface in Lake Placid, NY is quite nice and less crowded than the more popular Vermont mountains. Gore and Whiteface are in a different climate zone from the VT mountains, so sometimes it has more/better snow, sometimes less/worse.

Pico is the sleeper in the bunch. Right next to Killington, it's often overlooked by tourists. It's got a bit of everything, enough to entertain for a day or 2. Totally uncrowded, even on weekend or holiday. Oh, it's close middle of the week. So if there's big snow storm on say Wednesday, you'll be the first for all the fresh snow when it open for the weekend (they open on Friday, I think)

3) 3+ days -(5-6 hr) - Sugarbush, Stowe, Mad River Glen. All have fantastic terrain and gets quite a bit more snow than the southern mountains. Less crowded than their southern siblings too.

We're expecting a big storm tomorrow. And staying cold till well into the new year. So depending on when in January you're coming, you maybe in luck. There is, unfortunately, a "tradition" of warmth and rain 2nd half of January. So, be flexible with your plans.

ski holidays
Plane to Jackson.
snow conditions
Is sugarbush different from sugarloaf. If so, i recommend sugarloaf. http://www.sugarloaf.com/index.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy