Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ebook about the life of a chalet host

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

I hope this is ok to post here but I have just finished writing my first e-book, Chalet Boy - The Diary of my First Ski Season (Aged 31), and it's now available on Amazon for those with Kindles (or those with smart phones/tablets that can read e-books).

Here is the blurb:

How hard can it be? Serving a few croissants, cleaning a few bedrooms, cooking some easy meals, and then spending the rest of your time snowboarding and getting drunk. Sounds pretty easy, doesn't it? Well Andy Smith thought the same thing as he signed himself up for a four month stint as a chalet host in the French Alps during a career break, and a break from the 'normal life' he found so boring.

Chalet Boy - The Diary of my First Ski Season (Aged 31) gives a truthful and hilarious insight in to the world of the ski resort seasonsaire, a person whom most people view with envy. Working a ski season is seen as an easy job with generous perks from the endless supply of randy holidaymakers, to the constant parties and access to some amazing skiing and snowboarding. Most of that is indeed factually correct, but there's also the flip side - the long hours, the almost embarrassingly low pay and the sordid living conditions.

You will be amazed at the antics of the guests that visited Chalet Montagne during Andy and his friend Dan's time there. From randy middle-aged couples to rampaging lesbians, it's all covered here alongside the the story of a man using his time in the Alps to gain a greater understanding of the meaning of his life, amid a need to escape from the norm.

A must read for anyone considering working a ski season and those who have been on or are planning a ski holiday in a catered chalet, Chalet Boy - The Diary of my First Ski Season (Aged 31) will give you all of the information you need about the inner workings of a ski chalet. And some you really don't.

So if you've just started a season, are contemplating doing one, or a guest wanting to get the behind the scenes gossip of a catered chalet - why not have a read?

It's available here:

Chalet Boy - The Diary of my First Ski Season (Aged 31)

Thanks for looking at this and feel free to review it, share it, encourage others to buy it!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ChaletBoy1980, I hope you've changed the name of the chalet Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Of course lol!!! Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ChaletBoy1980, having read the opening on amazon I might even have to buy it, even if its just to try and work out the company although I have googles it and would have a guess for a prize.

can I confirm its only the name thats changed

I seem to have found a company by pure luck that fits the bill and I'm sure the owners will be good cooks. ( now thats a cryptic clue )
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ok, book bought, free intro bit on amazon looked good enough for £1.91 Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, merry xmas mate, if it reads well and you decide a change is needed from our corporate lifestyles I'll ask the Mrs and work if I can go away for 3 months Toofy Grin

Altenatively for 5000 euros you can hire a pad for the season and just ski Smile

option 2 sounds better
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys - hope you enjoy it! Merry Christmas from Melbourne!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ordered - gotta read it!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did you come back with a CHALET RASH!!!!

The name Chalet Boy 1980 sounds a bit suspect to me!!

You may have luck touting it around SOHO in Londons West End. Try Growlers they may stock it in there shop rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
ok, book bought, free intro bit on amazon looked good enough for £1.91 Smile

Ditto-- but I haven't got a kindle--and don't intend to get one-- I love reading paper books! So do tell me, how could I read it without a kindle? Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Julieanne, there are Kindle Apps for Mac, PC, iPad etc http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?tag=amz07b-21&nodeId=200487860
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Trying to find a way to say 'I hope you got it line-edited/proofread' without sounding a) snarky and b) like I'm pushing my business. (Is my job, innit.)

It might be a good book (I'm not allowed to buy any till I've worked through the current pile) - but I've not met a book that hasn't been improved by a proofread at the minimum. It risks letting your work down if you release a book with errors. There are always errors (even post proofread). I work with self-pubbers who hate being tarred with the same brush as those writing and flinging online without editorial input, as it leads people to assume self-pub = crap. (And professional opinion, I've edited a couple of self-pubbed books that are absolutely brilliant, but may be overlooked because of that assumption.)

That said, if you've had it proofed, ignore all of the above. Skimmed through your blurb. Was a little long. Repetition of randy. Tidied. (Please do not treat as a sample of my work. I is well better than this, innit*. {i.e. I've probably booggered something up and don't want taunting for it}) *repetition of innit.

Quote:

Serving a few croissants, cleaning a few bedrooms, cooking some easy meals, and then spending the rest of your time snowboarding and getting drunk - sounds pretty easy. Andy Smith certainly thought so when he signed himself up for a four month stint as a chalet host in the French Alps during a career break - a break from the 'normal life' he found so boring.

Chalet Boy - The Diary of my First Ski Season (Aged 31) gives a truthful and humorous insight in to the world of the ski resort seasonaire, a person most view with envy. Working a ski season is considered an easy job with generous perks - from the endless supply of horny holidaymakers, to the constant parties and access to amazing skiing and snowboarding. Most of that is factually correct, but there's also the flip side - the long hours, the embarrassingly low pay and the sordid living conditions.

You will be amazed at the antics of the guests that visited Chalet Montagne during Andy and his friend Dan's time there. From randy middle-aged couples to rampaging lesbians, it's all covered here. But it isn't just gossip, this is also the story of a man using his time in the Alps to gain a greater understanding of life, addressing his need to escape from the norm.

Chalet Boy - The Diary of my First Ski Season (Aged 31) will give you all of the information you need about the inner workings of a ski chalet. And some you really don't. If you've just started a season, are contemplating doing one, or are a guest wanting to get the behind the scenes gossip from a catered chalet - why not have a read?

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi there - I had the book copy proofed but not the blurb but I appreciate the feedback. So far the reponse has been positive from those that have read it so let me know if you get a chance to give it a proper read.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was gonna comment on the Soho touting, but refrained Wink
Don't need to now anyway.

Thread theft alert... I need an ebook thingumy, didn't really need access to kindle store, but I see that could be a bonus (and I think I can hack Amazon to think I live in UK). So Kindle? or Kobo? or something else? Have reader on PC but my eyes go square. DO these indie type books appear on all services, or does Amazon do a lock-in? (Gotta reading list too, and want a better way to read them)

Hope the book sells. Will take a look at it later.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ChaletBoy1980 wrote:
Hi there - I had the book copy proofed but not the blurb but I appreciate the feedback. So far the reponse has been positive from those that have read it so let me know if you get a chance to give it a proper read.

HURRAH!

You don't know how much joy that gives me. And not even kidding.
Which is actually a bit sad.

I'm thinking "into" rather than in to. I'm also not keen about my fix for the 'escape from the norm'. Hmm

This story of a man using his time in the Alps to gain a greater understanding of life is inextricably entwined with the antics of the guests that visited Chalet Montagne during Andy and his friend Dan's time there. From randy middle-aged couples to rampaging lesbians, it's all covered here.

Perhaps.

Dunno. I'm off home. Parent time. Woo.

Good luck. Happy
snow report
andy wrote:
Was gonna comment on the Soho touting, but refrained Wink
Don't need to now anyway.

Thread theft alert... I need an ebook thingumy, didn't really need access to kindle store, but I see that could be a bonus (and I think I can hack Amazon to think I live in UK). So Kindle? or Kobo? or something else? Have reader on PC but my eyes go square. DO these indie type books appear on all services, or does Amazon do a lock-in? (Gotta reading list too, and want a better way to read them)

Hope the book sells. Will take a look at it later.

All Soho touting has to go through me. I only charge a small commission. wink

I like Kindle, but I also loathe it, because Amazon makes me sad inside (I can't quit you, Amazon). That said, I do love my kindle, though nothing is as good as a book. If you use Calibre you can unlock most things for use on whatever platform you like. (That's not an encouragement to piracy (ARR!) but a hatred of DRM.)
snow conditions
I use Calibre Wink Mainly cos I use Linux, and have no Win/Mac (actually I do have a Mac, but that's another story Wink )
snow report
michael stocking wrote:
Julieanne, there are Kindle Apps for Mac, PC, iPad etc http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?tag=amz07b-21&nodeId=200487860

Thanks, ok..but as someone else on here wrote" my eyes go square" --from reading a screen-- so I imagine the only way to read this fascinating tale is to download and print out???

ChaletBoy1980, do you perhaps at some stage intend to publish it as an ordinary book?
snow conditions
Julieanne, The Kindle apps (well at least the Mac and blackberry ones) don't have a print function
ski holidays
OliviaDB, can I contact you by PM as I may well be interested in the services of an editor/ proofreader.
latest report
davkt, thanks, but even so, I would rather buy it already printed! Smile
latest report
Julieanne, have you tried a kindle or similar e-ink based device?
latest report
I bought it, and got about 1/3 of the way through on the flight back to the parents today - liking it quite a lot so far!

No glaring errors/lack of proofing like a few odd ones I've downloaded. Yes, it's a bit long and rambling in places, but I quite like the slightly conversational/conspiratorial style it gives it. It's like being sat in the pub for a few (many) beers with a rather verbose friend, but one with some funny stories to tell. It reads very honestly.

I'll def keep going - good job!
snow report
Thanks guys - you're all awesome. Really appreciating the feedback. First time I've written anything but the plan was for it to be conversational so am stoked about that! Merry Christmas.
latest report
Also, if any of those who have been so kind enough to buy it fancied reviewing it when they have finished reading I would be super grateful!!!
ski holidays
ChaletBoy1980, I bought it and have reached the New Year. I like it.

I've shared Chalets with some right cnuts, including one who thought the last Vanoise Express should wait for him at 5pm rolling eyes

I've also had some shocking hosts who grizzled their way through awesome snow in April 2012, miserable feckers. Last week of the season and they plainly couldn't give a toss.

I've had the most friendly hosts who skied with us most days for nothing but pleasure. They let us go first thing and asked to meet at our morning coffee stop. By Christ they must have had some bloody awful clients by the time we stayed with them in February.

I guess it all cuts all ways.
snow conditions
Bladeskier - it really does. As you'll find we had all sorts in the chalet but that was what made it so interesting.

I've been told that this thread may be pulled due to its advertising nature so just in case it does I want to thank everyone that has taken a look at, and maybe bought the book and for the nice comments. It took AGES to write but was a lot of fun and contains some great memories for me, and thankfully seems to be providing enjoyment for those reading it.

Have a great season and stay safe. And treat your chalet hosts nicely!!! Blush Very Happy
snow report
Just bought a copy. Am going to save it for my journey to Meribel on 19/1.... Hopefully it'll stand me in good stead for my week as a chalet punter...! Puzzled snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am 54% of the way through and it is an easy read and quite entertaining. Having run a chalet last season, it is uncanny how the owners are just like some owners we met and the guests - the Welsh guests particularly - were the same as ours.

Thre are typo's in it, but no more than all the other biographies that i have read recently which are published by professional houses.

I would definately recommend it, but there are not many skiing tales to make the seasonnaires chalet hosting worthwhile, it seems that he has only been skiing a few times whereas most of the host i met were out 5 or six full days a week.

Do buy it and support it.
snow conditions
Thanks for the comments Libertine - I'm glad you're enjoying it! I would have loved to have made it up the hill more often but we were always just too knackered! Very Happy

I'm gutted you have found some typos as I had it proofread before I put it up! If you had time to send me a private message highlighting these I'd be really grateful but no worries if you don't have the time.

Thanks again for the support!
snow report
ChaletBoy1980, just read this, I have finished the book so no noting of the typo's or few missed or wrong words. I did enjoy it overall and it has made me feel a bit guilty the way I would drag my missus up the hill almost every day......!! ha ha. she is reading it now.

overall - good effort mate, well done.

so now you are still Melbourne right? I'll look forward to that episode!
ski holidays
Thanks man that's awesome to read, really chuffed. Hope she enjoys it too!
snow report
Just bought it, (was particulary impressed how Amazon downloads it to your Kindle without being attached to the laptop! LOL)

Hopefully start reading tonight.
snow report
Bought it this afternoon - couldn't stop reading until finished - made me very jealous at my own lack of get up and make something happen-ness
snow report
About 80% of the way through, and enjoying it (especially as it's set in Samoëns, where the in-laws live Neh Neh )
A few typos, but nothing horribly jarring (they leap out at me for my brain is weird like that...)
latest report
Thanks again for the comments guys - really chuffed that people are enjoying it! Also a little gutted people are finding errors so will get it proofed again in the hopes of clearing those up!

Hope everyone had an awesome Christmas!
latest report
ChaletBoy1980, good read , about half way through snowHead
snow conditions
Finished, enjoyed it.

Well worth a read.
snow report
Thanks Bladeskier - really appreciate it. Have you made it to the snow this year?
ski holidays
ChaletBoy1980, Just purchased. First few pages are encouraging. Very easy read.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy