Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens to Moutiers: 3 Hour Transfer Nightmare

Poster: A snowHead
Fellow snowHead Bergmeister has been in Val Thorens since Wednesday (on a lads' trip) and was due back last night.

Was is the word. For reasons that he couldn't ascertain, their private transfer to Geneva, which left around tea time, took 3 hours to reach Moutiers Shocked (it's normally about 40 mins....). Bumper to bumper stationary traffic apparently. Once they got to Moutiers everything was fine and they reached Geneva five hours after leaving the resort - but well after the flight had left Sad .

I was roped in to book an airport hotel online but haven't heard anything further today - I assume they're sorting out options with easyjet.

All seems a bit odd though - especially in low season. Maybe it was an accident Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict, there were reports on another thread on multiple accidents blocking the road both ways either side of Moutier - but then Steve Angus seemed to get through OK although he mentions 'taking the back roads'...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict, I think yesterday was a fairly chaotic day, and possibly the police weren't hot enough on insisting that no ill-equipped cars could travel. People were chaining up in the middle of the main street of Les Saisies yesterday evening - leaving it far too late. It snowed quite hard, but wetly, and gradually turned to rain leaving difficult road conditions which, certainly round here, were passable only with care, even with 4 new snow tyres. Christmas isn't low season. It's not AS busy as New Year, but still one of the key weeks of the year for crowds.

A lot of resorts opened yesterday, with superb snow conditions, so there might also have been quite a few local day trippers in some places.

Steve Angus reported that Geneva airport was chaos, as might be expected, with half hour queues to get into the parking.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ta for the replies.
Quote:
Christmas isn't low season
I know - but had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that outbound from resorts would be a lot quieter than inbound - arrivals on 15th Dec would surely have been a low season week?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Outbound from Les Arcs to Moutiers was OK, just a bit slower than usual because of a few cars which insisted in driving at 10mph wearing chains even though there was just a bit of light slush on the road. Traffic coming in to resort was a bit chaotic with too many cars were sliding around because they should have fitted chains earlier, or had stopped in stupidly inappropriate places to fit chains. Didn't see any police managing traffic and requiring chains to be fitted at an appropriate time. However, the real bottleneck was approaching Moutiers, with a long queue of stationary traffic on the N90. Happily I was always going against the traffic Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Transfer yesterday from Grenoble to La Plagne was HORRIBLE!!!

Moutier was apparently blocked up (we went the back roads around Albertville)

Then came to a grinding halt in Aime. The police were stopping everyone to put chains on to go up the mountain. This was about 9pm though.

However, traffic was backing up in the Moutier area on the way TO the airport.

Our coach driver said that not only did we have the issue of great snow and resorts opening fully, but it was also the first day of the French holidays.

Its not a transfer I fancy doing again Sad Sad But I did hear and learn some 'interesting' new French words!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A few accidents (not weather related) made it worse. There was a three car accident just outside Salins, which queued taffic in both diections for about 6km. It had a knock-on impact in Brides, and the 2 gendarmes diecting traffic there made it 10 times worse. We can see about 6km of the road from Moutiers to Val Thorens from our kitchin window. At 9pm last night, nothing moved except the blue lights
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One of the guys from a restaurant in Plagne centre had to go down to Aime and back. Took him 6 hours Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing wrote:
One of the guys from a restaurant in Plagne centre had to go down to Aime and back. Took him 6 hours Shocked

Yup - doesn't surprise me after the way Aime looked last night Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chaletgirl, Aime to Longefoy took 2 hours and that really is just a 10 min journey!
The locals are blaming the Police for not acting quickly enough when the snow started and then not 'relaxing' the 'special equipment' when the snow had stopped.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hopefully it was all a bit of freaky day and a bit of a one off.... Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

a bit of a one off...

fairly standard for a snowy Saturday in Feb/March that there are significant hold ups somewhere along the line. And somehow, the worst of the snowfall seems to happen on Saturday.
When will people start being sensible and staggering arrivals and doing flexible holiday lengths? Still, if the world and his wife insist on Sat/Sat holidays, they have to put up with the traffic jams. Sunday is much better, though Geneva airport was still very busy today - cost me a fortune to stay in the departures car park and wait for a slightly late plane (I was stopped going into P1 because I was overheight, though actually I'm fine with a 2m barrier). Geneva town wasn't busy, so finding Cornavin station wasn't a problem, and the train from Milano was punctual, to the minute. But traffic back up the mountain, through Megeve and Praz sur Arly was still busy, and a lot of slush on the road higher up meant still travelling at pretty cautious speed. Lots of vehicles still in chains.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, apparently its unacceptable! According to one of the guests in resort. Not sure how I can affect the airport, road traffic and weather on a day that includes first day of French holidays, Christmas week and first full day the resort is open. But there you are. We should have done better on the transport!! LOL
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chaletgirl, I suppose that's the peril of the job - having to deal with rude and ignorant people. Trouble is, TOs do tend to give some over-optimistic transfer times. Rather than saying "this transfer would take 2 hours if you'd like to come in mid January but up to half a day at busy times, and if you're really unlucky you could spend the night in a school sports hall in Bourg St Maurice. "

Very few operators seem to give honest information - so maybe it's their own fault?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chaletgirl wrote:
Well, apparently its unacceptable! According to one of the guests in resort. Not sure how I can affect the airport, road traffic and weather on a day that includes first day of French holidays, Christmas week and first full day the resort is open. But there you are. We should have done better on the transport!! LOL

Are you saying you won't take responsibility for the snow/lack of snow.........shame on you and your employer!
snow report
Maybe. We advertise a 3 hour 45 min transfer from Grenoble to La Plagne DEPENDENT ON CONDITIONS - which I think is pretty fair really.

People just don't like sitting in coaches and to be honest I agree, its pants. But then if I was coming out to a ski holiday I think I'd get the snow train! Very Happy
latest report
ArgyleSki wrote:
chaletgirl wrote:

Are you saying you won't take responsibility for the snow/lack of snow.........shame on you and your employer!

I know. Its rubbish really innit!!!

Last year I was told that my problem solving skills were poor because I couldn't tell some guests when the lifts would be open on the last day - I couldn't see the chalet 60 yards away through the snow but apparently I was supposed to be able to give a time that they'd be able to go skiing.

Maybe I should get a different job - or a hotline to a 'boss' up there somewhere!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Just tell them they're open chaletgirl, wave them off and get out of the chalet- also possibly find a new employer
snow report
don't think the employer can do much about the complaints either!! some people just like to moan!!! Smile
snow report
As Patch, said there were a few accidents.. the one in Salins (just outside Moutiers towards Courchevel) was horrific, some of my guests drove past the wreckage and wished it had been covered with a tarp.. (I won't go in to the details). Sad

It made us all think how lucky we were...

Wishing you all a Merry and safe Christmas
x
snow conditions
Quote:

When will people start being sensible and staggering arrivals and doing flexible holiday lengths? Still, if the world and his wife insist on Sat/Sat holidays

Slight chicken and egg situation isn't it - most of us punters do Sat to Sat as that's when all the flights/transfers/changeover days etc are, so is very difficult to do otherwise. Even the DIY approach is tricky as everyone 'lets' from Sat to Sat.

There are other factors as well, to get a 6 days ski holiday with Wednesday as change over, I would need to take 6-days off work. Sat-Sat is only 5 days and with limited leave, this is a big factor. And lets avoid the Feb half-term being fixed for many people as the only week possible as time off in school is a no-no.
ski holidays
Silver ski and ski Olympic do Sunday changeover and this was always a massive selling point for us. Quiet transfers and empty Saturday on the hill.
snow report
Some of the TOs do Sunday transfer to Serre Chevalier. For the reasons Frosty the Snowman gives, it was one of the reasons we started going there, and when we bought our own place, chose to be flexible with arrival day,preferring a Sunday if possible. I tend to find people still ask for Sat-Sat dates more often than not, some can be steered towards Sunday arrival but some can't.
snow conditions
I used to offer flexible rentals of my apartment, starting on any day of the week (subject to a minimum stay of 7 night). Few people took advantage of this, so mostly it was Sat-Sat bookings. The company does the cleaning and linen service charge me more for turning the apartment around on a day other than a Saturday, so a couple of years ago I switched to Sat-Sat bookings. The last couple of seasons have had the highest number of weeks booked, so clearly switching to the 'normal' booking pattern hasn't harmed my rentals.
ski holidays
The rental company we use, CIS Immobilier, advertise Saturday to Saturday, but we do see odd other bookings, usually an extra day or two tagged on to a week when the next week is quiet. Very rarely we will see a 2 or 3 day booking come through in mid jan.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy