Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car-hire from Geneva to 3 Valley

Poster: A snowHead
So we finalized our plans this year.

We are a group of 6-8 that will be traveling from the US to the three valleys (St. Martin de Belleville) in the first week of Feb for about 8 days. A car hire seems like a good alternative to an airport transfer.

This site has been very helpful for me, but I just want to make sure I have everything covered.

I checked out the hertz site and saw a van that seats 9. Would that auto be adequate in the valleys?
It seems the consensis is that I should hire from the swiss side in geneva and take the highways instead of thru the city
Chains should be included, but I should call to confirm. Same with the ski/snowboard rack

Did i miss anything?

any comments would be appreciated

regards,

koon
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Did i miss anything?

er, yes. The sticky on this in the Travel section of this site, and search function in the user facilities drop down (top left of this page).
The info you're looking for has already been requested and answered many times on this site.

Welcome to Snowheads, by the way.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
koondog, yep...don't book direct with Hertz, you'll pay much more than you need! Check out http://www.fleeteurope.co.uk/main.aspx?page=wwh a discounted route into HolidayAutos, we use them all the time and they seem to offer the best deals....chains will be extra though!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
koondog, glad that you're finding snowHeads helpful. When you collect the car, check that the chains are there, and make sure that they are at the top of your luggage.....better than having to unload the whole car to find them!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
homphomp, I have checked this site which have good headline rates but which charge an additional €34,00 per day for snow chains, tyres and ski rack. Seems excessive!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bernard Condon, Certainly does....we payed 21 euros for a week last year!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As far as I'm aware all car rentals in Switzerland must come complete with winter tyres and chains. When hiring from Geneva between 1 Dec and 1 April I've never paid a supplement for chains and they have always been in the car when I collected it from the rental garage. I've used that Fleeteurope link a lot but recently found that ebooker.com has been consistently cheaper.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
koondog, before you hire a car, check out jonboy at www.3vt.co.uk. It will cost you around £70 return and is reliable and hassle-free. Might even be cheaper in the end, and you won't have to dig the car out of the huge snowdrifts there are going to be there that week in preparation for our arrival on the 11th! snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks for all the hints... look forward to an awesome week in france
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Make sure your car/var has a Swiss motorway permit (I think a "Vignitte" but not sure of the spelling), otherwise you may get charged during the journey.

Have also heard that hire rates for one-way hires are much cheaper if pick-up and leave are both in France. The journey is only a litte harder from the French side of the airport, as I recall just a couple of road junctions and then you are back in Switzerland and on the road going past the Swiss entry to Geneva airport.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Adrian, NOoOOoOOOoOoooo! Never hire from the French side!

You Don't get the use of the motorway
You Don't get winter tyres/chains included
You Do get to be totally lost in Geneva airport finding the dodgy back route to the car hire pickup
You Do get to be horribly lost in Geneva trying to find France and avoiding all the nice fast straight motorways you are not permitted on
You Do get to nearly miss your flight driving ever decreasing circles around Geneva trying to find the French bit of the airport (repeatedly driving past the nice and easy to find Swiss side drop off)

Any slight saving in € is probably wiped out by chain hire, and NOT WORTH it for the other hassles!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fragglerock, try reading what I said. Try reading road signs.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Although I've not hired from the French side of GVA, three of my friends have. All of them got lost on the way back to the airport and two of them got lost on the way out. These are not normally the kind of drivers that make a habit of getting lost, so you can read into that whatever you want. All three of them now hire from the Swiss side Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk,

I too thought Snow chains compulsory from CH/GVA, Last two weeks of Jan 05 hired a car from GVA via holiday Autos got a 'BUDGET' car and guess what i didn't check for chains doh!!! Second week it dumped all week!!!

When I phoned Budget they said you only get them when you ask and pay for them!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk, I have hired on both sides of the airport, got lost from French side not on Swiss. Took ages to get back through Geneva to get to French side to avoid motorway.

Also the Swiss side has more cars, child car seats, ski racks so you do not get let down when you get therekoondog, Swiss side for me now every time.
ski holidays
NorthWestFace, thanks for that - I'll double check before leaving the rental garage. It's been a little while since I was allocated a Budget car, mostly National or Hertz which have always come with chains.
ski holidays
Adrian, Sorry if what I said seemed like a personal attack! it was meant to be obviously over the top Neh Neh

If you do hire from the French side you wont have a motorway ticket and so following the road signs will get you into trouble!

Compare and contrast the directions for French/Swiss hires on this page

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~dougmacarthur/FromGenevaAirport.html
ski holidays
NorthWestFace, Ditto...but I spotted it in the airport. Having spent half an hour treking back up to the desk to arrange them, finally got underway only to find the driverside window wouldn't open and I couldn't get out of the car park! Back to Budget....sorry Madam, it's the only car available, tell you what, we'll give you the chains for free? Okey dokey says I, spend next week getting out of the car in the cold and rain to get toll tickets, pay tolls, enter/exit car parts. Get back to blightly and what do I find....a bill for snow chains. Grrr!
ski holidays
homphomp wrote:
koondog, yep...don't book direct with Hertz, you'll pay much more than you need! Check out http://www.fleeteurope.co.uk/main.aspx?page=wwh a discounted route into HolidayAutos, we use them all the time and they seem to offer the best deals....chains will be extra though!

homphomp, I checked out the prices at fleeteurope and it looks good. Just one question, I couldn't find if the minivan (9) seater had ski/snowboard racks or if we could add them to the van. we will have 8 people and 8 pairs of equipments. any ideas?
Also, do i add the snow chains when i get to geneva?

koondog
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy