Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opening day on the Aiguille du Midi

Poster: A snowHead
With loads of snow on the ground and the Midi opening it is time for some fun.

Opening the gate

The ridge is a bit sharp in places

I'd rather be on 2 edges 170cm long than 24 points 1cm long

A bit narrow and steep

Some nice powder off the ridge

No one's skied the Vallee Blanche yet?

Round towards the Col du Cosmiques

A few narrow steps to enter

It's a bit airy on the entrance

On the face, lovely conditions but still an intimidating 45+ degrees

The arete separating the face from the Exit couloir

Dropping in to the exit couloir

Onto the Glacier de Bossons

Winding through the Crevasses and Seracs

Out of the crevasses

From here on down we roped up and skied into the glacier du Bossons, followed by the woods and then roadside back to the parking!
Unfortunately weather dictated no more pics Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Idris, Nice, was that today or yesterday?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great pictures, what sort of ski poles are they, I'm guessing that is to self arrest ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great stuff!!!
+1 about ski poles.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks great!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Would love to do it, but i wouldnt be able to. Looking at those pictures, how people say that an "intermediate skier" should be able to do it is beyond me!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, that's not the route that intermediates can do Wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, oh good. That entrance part would make me literally freeze. I wouldnt be able to move.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Idris, Fantastic TR, as always

Ricklovesthepowder, In fact, the beginning of the Vallee Blanche was what Idris was showing in just that picture. The rest of it was a completely different route straight down the mountain to Chamonix via the Glacier de Bossons. If you've driven up the Chamonix valley, this is the HUGE glacier on the right before you reach Cham itself. A characteristically impressive ski from Idris. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Idris, when I read the title I just knew who it would be, fantastic pics. The photo out of the crevasses looks intimidating with the weather closing in too! What sort of ski poles are they, I wouldn't want to fall on one!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Patch, That was this morning.

jbob, snowball and2planks, the are Black diamond Whippets, but Grivel and others make similar ones.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WELSH CAKE!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
That entrance part would make me literally freeze
Perhaps literally 5h1t€ yourself....but metaphorically freeze surely wink ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So is the route skied here called the 'vrai vallee blanche' as opposed to the tourist route of the 'vallee blanche' that everyone knows of. Or is it another route?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skir67, its the Glacier Rond.
snow report
Idris, great start am super jealous.
ski holidays
Idris, nice early season stoke. Out of curiosity, what's the snowpack like? I would expect sound up top but interested to hear what conditions were like as you headed closer to 1080 m.
latest report
skir67 wrote:
So is the route skied here called the 'vrai vallee blanche' as opposed to the tourist route of the 'vallee blanche' that everyone knows of. Or is it another route?
No, this goes in a completely different direction (almost the opposite direction). The 'Vrai Vallee Blanche' is still quite easy - though harder than the main tourist route.
snow conditions
Nice pics - wish I had the knowledge, skill and cojones to do routes like that !
snow conditions
zammo wrote:
Idris, nice early season stoke. Out of curiosity, what's the snowpack like? I would expect sound up top but interested to hear what conditions were like as you headed closer to 1080 m.

Ugly to unpleasant, but better than walking
snow conditions
idris...nice route and nice snow conditions!! Well done!!

Pretty amazing conditions in chamonix all december! Praying for more and more!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
Scarver wrote:
Nice pics - wish I had the knowledge, skill and cojones to do routes like that !
My sentiments exactly!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Arno, oh good. That entrance part would make me literally freeze. I wouldnt be able to move.

Yes it's pretty airy. I've gone through the entrance but then had to crampon up and climb back out due to ice.

Pucker inducing location.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy