Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

just turn up

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
whats the realistic chance of just turning up in a french resort without having booked accomodation? Then just pick a hotel/chalet and see if they have rooms?
Anyone done this? Cheers Rav
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. Depends on dates. Not thinking of Christmas / New Year are you?
Try 'Tourist Information' when you arrive
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ravanelli, if you go to the tourist office they might be able to find you something if it's low season. BUT, even in low season it can be difficult to find accommodation for just a night or so, or for less than the usual Sat/Sat period. Some French resorts have very few hotels, compared to lots of self catering accommodation. I speak from experience having once toured every suitable establishment in Les Saisies (only 4 of them!) looking for a room for one night in deadest of dead mid January. I failed.

At worst, though, you would find you had to go back down to a valley town (Bourg st Maurice, Albertville, Chambery, Sallanches etc).

When are you thinking of doing this? At New Year, or between mid Feb and mid March you could find there was no room at the inn.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ravanelli, lordy, no it's a really daft idea.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ravanelli,
I've actually done it a few times including a couple of times turning up in the early hours in the morning. It has always worked out but not sure if I would recommend it and nowadays with better internet information you will be in a better negotiating position booking a day ro longer ahead and there is no danger of nothing available.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's doable for hotels and ocasionally for b+b type accom but not really for self catered and catered chalets/apts - but only if there is space. Either way, it will be cheaper to book it a couple of days in advance than standing in the hotel lobby!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks for the replies. On balance I will probably book before I go. Have a great Christmas one and all from Rav
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spent three days living in the car in Argentiere one new year till the owner of Gite le Belvedere took pity and gave me the couch in the dining room. Eventually found a place in Chamonix. Don't do it
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Club Med sometimes have something left for car travellers, but it might be a suite.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the pre mobile internet days I use to do this all the time without issue apart from one night between christmas and new year when skiing the 3 vallies stayed in brides up till then. I had to go down to Mountiers and stay in a grotty hotel who despite having a room wouldn't sell it to me as I wanted a single and the room was a treble until in desPeration I told him I would pay for all three beds! (it was about 6pm and I think he's was hopping 3 people would turn up to take the room and a meal)
Now I just use my iPhone and the booking.com app that will easily find you a room from the comfort of the chairlift on the day you need one. Best to have a hire car though in case it's in a different resort.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy