Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this one of the best starts to a season for years ? French Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Is this one of the best starts to a season for years ? I have been keeping an eye on the 3 vallees and Espace Killy in particular.

It looks epic.

Instead of the "what no snow" thread should it be "what too much snow" thread ? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It was.

Now it's not, quite so much.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Much the same as last season so far. Due for a warm spell and probably a wet interlude, but there's a solid base so I don't think it will have much impact on the piste conditions which are generally excellent.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't jinx it! Morzine is peeing it down at the moment and more rain forecast.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm,

I'd say so.we had almost no snow last yeat until the middle of the week before Xmas week and then it all came at once.

The snow this year gas arrived earlier and in more consistent quantity.

I've certainly skied two epically good powder days (Avoriaz and Flaine) whicih I hadn't been able to do last year by now.

Forecast rain seems to have materialised in Jura and Cham town as more snowy than expected.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, forecast rain isn't really forecasted to arrive till tomorrow evening.

Last year the December snow came in a smaller number of heavier falls.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I remember 2 years ago there was a big dump around Christmas in Courchevel. We arrived on the 30th Jan and not a single flake had fallen since, it was probably the worst conditions I have ever experienced.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
russ_e wrote:
I remember 2 years ago there was a big dump around Christmas in Courchevel. We arrived on the 30th Jan and not a single flake had fallen since, it was probably the worst conditions I have ever experienced.

you sure it was 2010 - we were in VT and had daily whiteouts until new years day
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It is for me in that I got two powdery days in on 8&9 Dec which I don't usually!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Loads of snow but sometimes heavy, and generally poor visibility. Expensive ski passes for too few open lifts. Plus occasional rain.
What was the question again ?
I reckon it looks better on the webcams than it really is, although there have been a couple of epic days - both in L2A and VT a couple of weeks back when the sun came out. Smile Smile Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
I'd say so.we had almost no snow last yeat until the middle of the week before Xmas week and then it all came at once.
Doesn't that mean that the snow arrived (just) in time for most resorts scheduled opening times? I know some of the resorts in France which usually open at the beginning of December had very little available, but for most the resorts in France the opening week and the rest of the month were amazing. This is what it looked like in Meribel on 8 December when I arrived:

I had three or four epic days last December, and about the same this December.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, breaking my own rule and applying an objective opinion to a limited data set, the skiing in Chamonix and local area has been better than last year so far.

So I think I mean what you thought I meant. Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, OK, I understand. The opposite is true in Les Arcs, IMHO, but really not much between the two years and I'd be happy with these last two or three weeks at any time of year, in any year!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The snow today (opening day for the Espace Diamant) is fantastic. Everything open, wonderful quality snow, nobody around. Millionaire skiing. Started snowing now though, and blowing a bit and I have shopping/cooking/bedmaking to do. It's going to rain all night so it won't look so good tomorrow but the vis might be better and the pistes should be fine. So far so very good. snowHead
snow report
pam w, Very Happy Very Happy Have a great Christmas!
latest report
pam w, enjoy!!
snow report
Pedantica, under a new name, thanks. Tomorrow is into GVA airport to pick up daugher, SIL and two babies, then my Italian-based son from the central station in Geneva. My sister and BIL drove in last evening to pick up their daughter who flew in at 11 pm having been on duty in a London hospital till 1630. They said Geneva was absolute bedlam at 2330, especially with the arrivals car park out of commission. With two of them, one could sit in illegally parked car whilst the other went in search of passenger. I shall be on my own - no shortage of willing volunteers to help me but I have only 6 seats, and 5 people to pick up.

Provided the roads to Bournemouth airport aren't flooded, the flights OK, the trains from Genoa via Milan to Geneva are on time, and neither of the babies is sick, I shall be back here by this time tomorrow, with all guests present and correct. I am not planning a lot of skiing over the next few days. But I shall certainly enjoy it all.

The resort was very busy this evening. One disconsolate Frenchman in Intersport, where the very cheerful and willing (not to mention very pretty) girls were vainly trying to identify the chains he needed for his apparently very unusual size wheels. He seemed totally nonplussed. The weather has done exactly what it was forecast to do, for days, he has just driven to a ski resort, he is French, he knows about snow, why do people leave it so late?

At one point at about 6pm in the centre of Les Saisies there was a ski bus, an ordinary "car" up from Albertville, one guy putting chains on in the middle of the road, a blue-flashing ambulance trying to reverse out of a parking space and a picturesque touristique "horse and carriage" all trying to negotiate the same roundabout. the boulangerie had totally sold out of bread. Yesterday the place was absolutely deserted.

The Christmas season has begun!! It was snowing hard, which added to the festive chaos, but is now raining.

Happy Christmas! snowHead
latest report
it's been a crap start coz I'm injured NehNeh Sad
ski holidays
skir67, Sad oh dear. Sorry to hear that. What happened?
snow report
pam w wrote:
skir67, Sad oh dear. Sorry to hear that. What happened?

flat light on an easy section of a blue, skiing too fast for the prevailing conditions (my own fault) I hit a depression in the piste, first I knew about it I was taking air and then hit the downhill face of the 'hole' which pitched me straight forward onto my face. Unfortunately I've ruptured my right achilles tendon. Sad So at least 6-7 weeks of no activity and my march trip might be off altogether.
snow report
skir67, merde. That's poor luck.
snow conditions
skir67, that's tough, take it easy, get better soon.
snow report
skir67, that's bad luck. I was nearly pitched off my skis in a similar fashion, yesterday, schussing in a spot where I knew the alternative was a long pole. Going a bit faster than I could see properly - shoved me almost back onto my bottom, the way you see young kids with much better knees than I, mucking about. The knees are bad today and the recovery from that won't have helped them in the least, but I was luckier than you were. How many days into your trip did that happen? Hope you got good treatment.
snow report
pam w wrote:
They said Geneva was absolute bedlam at 2330, especially with the arrivals car park out of commission. With two of them, one could sit in illegally parked car whilst the other went in search of passenger. I shall be on my own - no shortage of willing volunteers to help me but I have only 6 seats, and 5 people to pick up.

I've done a couple of GVA pickups in the last week or two, and the alternative Arrivals car parking (level -1 of P1) has always had loads of spaces available. If anything, it's been easier than before when it was often 1-in-1-out in the usual outdoor bays! Maybe I've just been lucky. Hope the knee improves.
snow report
Mr Piehole, thanks. snowHead They said there was a big queue for P1 and they dived off left before getting stuck in it, where the tour buses and transfer guys go. Illegally. Today should be better than then, and better than yesterday will have been.
snow report
I was turned away out of the queue for P1 (the guy said I was overheight, though I don't think I was) and had to go round again and in the queue for departures, which cost me 15 CHF by the time the plane was a bit late. The airport was very busy. Why do all those dickheads crowd around the exit doors so that the people who have already queued for immigration, and waited to get their baggage, then have to fight their way out of a rabble of people who can't wait another 20 seconds to rush up to Aunt Mabel and kiss her on all four cheeks. :evil

When I am God I shall install electric fences.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
I was turned away out of the queue for P1 (the guy said I was overheight...

The 'guy'? It's only been ticket-issuing automata when I've been!

Sounds like a right bum-ache.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Piehole, there was a big queue, and the "guy" was walking up wagging his finger at me. He waved me through where only coaches are allowed, and folks down there waved me through and out the other side. I was early for the flight - about 30 minutes - so the time I spent driving round again then queuing before getting the ticket was actually quite helpful. the time spent waiting to dive into a space after paying, and hanging round the airport afterwards, was a bit of a pain. But given that there are major flood problems in the UK and I had a family with two babies coming into Geneva by air and a son coming in by train from Italy, the fact that they all arrived, I found them, and got them all back up the mountain with only minimal tears (when trying to persuade the 2 year old she really could do a wee in a snowy layby in Praz sur Arly.....) doesn't make me too inclined to moan!
snow report
under a new name, nozawaonsen, pam w,

Thanks for the kind words folks snowHead

pam w treatment was pretty swift in the medical centre in le lac as it was with the NHS back home. Leg is currently in a split cast with pointed toes to shorten the tendon I guess. I'm back into hospital for an MRI scan tomorrow morning at which point they'll either decide to operate or it will be a series of different casts.

French doctor was adamant it was an operation job. Brit doctor was saying there was no evidence that either approach was better. So I'll find out tomorrow I guess.

I was just out on a short break (no pun wink ) and it happened near the end of the second last day and the last day was just a half day so not a massive loss. However if my March trip goes belly up then I'll be rather upset to say the least Sad . Both doctors reckoned 6-7 weeks, which I'm hoping includes physio (but I'll bet it doesn't), but a nurse in the fractures dept reckoned 9-12 weeks! Shocked
snow conditions
Just done some interweb searching and found a nhs doc which states no sport for 6 months. I am now very sad! Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
latest report
skir67, commiserations Sad
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
skir67, commiserations Sad

thanks, 'tis a pain in the @rse as I'd been getting right into race training and bumps skiing up at chill recently along with regular roller-skiing and gym sessions. Now all that work is going to go for nothing.

Though I guess once I can walk and drive again I could get back in the gym and just do stuff that works the upper body alone.
snow report
skir67, poor soul. Did mine years ago. I'm afraid march trip will be out. Your calf muscle will shrivel to sod all. Good luck with recovery.
ski holidays
dobby wrote:
skir67, poor soul. Did mine years ago. I'm afraid march trip will be out. Your calf muscle will shrivel to sod all. Good luck with recovery.

Yes, I'm sure you're probably right. Got another figure of 6-8 including physio today from a nurse, but when pressed she referred me back to the doctor. They gave me the choice of an op or a series of casts. I've gone for the op as recovery period is meant to be slightly shorter. Apparently I have a 1cm gap in the tendon with the foot in a neutral position. The ultrasound scan looked pretty horrific tbh. Shocked

Foot is now elevated with a couple of packs of frozen peas on it to get the swelling down in readiness for surgery.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy