Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In search for WARM skiing clothing

Poster: A snowHead
I get cold very easily in general, even when its summer outside. On the slope, I just keep freezing! So right now I start on a quest for warm skiing equipment:) Base layer, middle, etc. Don't really care for wicking qualities, but for the warmth and being reasonably comfortable. What would you recommend?
PS, I'm at Vancouver, Canada
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marina_v, welcome to the madhouse...... wicking qualities are really important, what makes you cold is the transient moisture on your skin drawing heat from your body, so having something that moves the moisture is critical

best material to look at is merino wool, you don't have to buy the most expensive brands but none of it is very cheap, wool has a great ability to move moisture and regulate temperature very well, so you are not likely (if you ever were likely to) overheat, have a merino base layer and mid layer then add a micro fleece or a good insulated jacket over the top... they make 3/4 length leggings in merino too and these are a bit better for ski boots as they do not go down into the boot and cause pressure points

also make sure that you have got good gloves and a good hat/helmet (not going to get into the argument about which one) but you can get a helmet liner which is a thin hat to give more insulation

good luck in the quest, you are in a place used to cold temperatures so should be lots on offer
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marina_v, Take a look at this recent thread, some good tips there. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2162336
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Patagonia Primo Down jacket fits the bill!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Vancouver Arcteryx outlet should kit you out, plus 1 for merino.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why is everyone feeling the cold this year?

Has the corporation been secretly slipping ice cubes into the water?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You may be able to get some good cheaper stuff at MEC
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This thing will keep you too hot.

http://www.sweetprotection.com/webshop/en/ski-and-snowboard/technical-clothing/mens/insulation/saviour-suit/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marina_v, what CEM said. Stay away from man-made fibres, they get very, very stinky and you don't want to be 'that' person on the trip. With merino you can wear base layers for days without them getting smelly.

Icebreaker, from New Zealand, do an excellent range of all layers in various weights. Here's a link, I'm sure if you look you'll find a stockist near you. http://ca.icebreaker.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-IB-CA-Site/en/Home-Show
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't say synthetics are THAT stinky and totally avoid them. Just make sure you take enough changes and you'll be fine. Personally I change my base layers, socks and underwear every day anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure merino wool is better for snow sports. I'm looking at investing in a merino mid layer this season. It's just very expensive IMO and therefore wouldn't avoid everything else.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RichTraff, indeed - with merino you don't have to have so many items to change them everyday. So, in the end, the costs are about the same as synthetic because you buy less but you get much better bang for your buck. I've had the same (only) base layer top for easily four seasons. I can happily wear it everyday for a week and not worry about it. Less packing, less expense. Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone after some Merino trundle off to your local Aldi and see if they have any base layers left. Sure it isn't quite as good as Icebreaker etc but it is a fraction of the price and does a good job!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not sure they do Aldi in Canadadavkt, Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MEC seems to have best prices for merino clothing, and their quality is usually good, so I think ill head there first Very Happy Thanks everybody!!

hope to find my XXXXS sizes in there... concerning base layers, does it matter if they are a bit too big?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I do love my Icbreaker stuff. I wear some of them for work as our pharmacy is very cold. I've even got some non-skiing stuff now.
snow report
Quote:

with merino you don't have to have so many items to change them everyday. So, in the end, the costs are about the same as synthetic because you buy less but you get much better bang for your buck. I've had the same (only) base layer top for easily four seasons. I can happily wear it everyday for a week and not worry about it. Less packing, less expense.

A very valid point.
snow conditions
Ok. I was going to invest in 2 more Under Armour Cold Gear Tops and Leggings.

Are you saying I could buy 1 SmartWool Base layer and Leggings instead, and that would last me 6 days skiing without washing??

If you say yes, then I'll trust you and do it. If not, then I will find you and demand a refund.
ski holidays
RichTraff, yep, merino base layer and leggings should last you 6 days, especially if you hang them up to air properly overnight. I actually have two of my base and mid layers, and alternate them, but that's probably not necessary. (I don't in fact wear merino leggings, but compression tights - for their compression properties: they certainly stink and get washed every day.)
latest report
I tested these - http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/ss08479pantsmen/SubProducts/ss08479pantsmen-0006 & these http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/ss08498lsmens280/SubProducts/ss08498lsmens280-0002 whilst on the PSB. Both outperformed expectations. Shame they weren't the right colour wink
snow report
I am partial to Nordic designed ski wear because Nordic country residents must endure long cold winters. They also ski a lot in frigid conditions under lights only during the dark days of winter when the sun rises late and sets very early. Because the Nordic nations are each relatively modest in size in terms of their populations, winter wear clothing brands can not stay in business long if they make poor quality goods. The word will simply get around to quickly. The Nordic nations enjoy a good reputation beyond their national borders for designing quality things.

I'm most familiar with the Swedish ski/outdoor wear brands having been in Sweden often during the winter months. Peak Performance, Cross, SOS, Haglöfs, 8848 Altitude, Tension, Fjällräven, Hestra, and Craft (in no particular order), come to mind and there are others. Some clothing and gear lines are more pricy than others but each of those names I've mentioned offer products that are well thought out, functional and of durable quality. 66 Degrees North, an Icelandic brand also produces excellent quality products. There are also Norwegian brands that enjoy excellent reputations like Kjus and Dale of Norway although both are rather pricy.

As regards base layers, there must be a lot to commend merino wool since people are buying and using these products. However, merino wool can cause irritation to some who are particularly sensitive to wool generally. Because it absorbs rather than wicking moisture it will get somewhat heavier during the day depending on how much you perspire. If a merino wool product is combined with synthetics in its manufacture, it may be possible to enjoy the benefits of both.

For myself, I find that Patagonia Capilene base layers are the most comfortable of the various synthetics that I've tried. Patagonia Capilene base layers come in four different warmth/weight categories and have none of the scratchiness associated with some synthetics . Patagonia and quite a few other synthetics now include odor control properties. However, I've not yet gone a week without washing a base layer that I've used so I cannot vouch for how effective their odor control properties are or how they compare with merino in this regard.
ski holidays
I'm a delicate little flower with sensitive skin, and can't stand the feel of merino against my skin, so I use synthetic baselayers. They get a bad rep, mostly due to old lifa thermals ("smelly hellies"). I also expect that some people's sweat chemistry and skin flora are particularly bad in combination with synthetic fabrics.

I use powerdry base layers, because there are plenty of manufacturers (Marmot and Patagonia are ones I've used), the fabric is reasonably robust, keeps its stretchiness well, feels nice against the skin and can be pretty warm. Modern anti-ming treatments (polygiene, silver threads, cocona, etc) are pretty effective, to the point where I've not had problems with my thermals even after several days of use. People who really punish their gear (and I'm not sure how... extra abrasive skin?) report that merino wears out much faster than synthetics. If you're doing a trip that doesn't give you the opportunity to dr your stuff in the warm, merino will stay wetter for longer. Incidentally, you only "don't care about wicking qualities" because you've either never got sweaty or because you've only used decent kit in the past. Don't believe me? Wear some neoprene. Super warm, and it'll be warmer than anything else when wet. But don't complain when you experience the end result of "not caring about wicking" Twisted Evil

Get a decent high-loft fleece mid layer; thermalpro is one of the best materials to use here. It'll be much cheaper than a primaloft midlayer (unless you buy patagonia or arcteryx, in which case you're clearly not worried about cost) it'll last a lot longer and it will be much more breathable which will stop you becoming a sweaty mess, or staying wet if you get snow down your neck.

Get a primaloft or down outer layer. Go for "primaloft one" (at a weight of 100gsm minimum) and high fill power down (500 and 600 rated down isn't worth it). Down will be more expensive, but potentially much, much warmer. If you don't ski in the rain, get down.

If you're in Vancouver, go hunt down MEC for cheap kit and Westbeach for good snowsport-oriented stuff. Westcomb looks good too. Premium brands (Arcteryx, Patagonia, Norrona) make nice gear, but the vast premium you pay for it will be hard to justify unless you're feeling rich.
snow report
I also used Patagonia Capilene a lot in the past and found it the least smelly of the synthetic lot (even sitting on the sofa for one hour I started smelling in some of them and I normally do not sweat a lot). About 6 years ago I got into Icebreaker merino tops. On one ski trip I wanted to see how long I could last without washing the top....I skied 10 full days and even went to dinner with the same top and there were no complaints from my friends. As has already been said airing the shirt during the night removes smell and reconditions it for the next day. It's true that the feel of the merino takes getting used to, I can feel a bit of scratchiness on the skin and it's not as durable, most my tops have some minor holes (easily fixed) except my favourite t-shirt which I have only hand washed so I suspect that machines are not so good for them even though it says that they can be machine washed.

Serriadh, a couple of weeks ago I bought 2 baselayer tops from Patagonia, they do a 60%merino/40%synthetic blend and it feels great on the skin (better than Icebreaker). It combines the best of both materials, so far I used them for regular wear and for a couple of runs. Looks like I have a new favourite.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy