Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talking myself into a black hole . . .

Poster: A snowHead
So, I'm sitting here bangin' on about BASI and since I'm planning on a season next year, should I go sleep with the enemy and join their courses?

Am I even remotely capable of meeting the ski competency requirements? . . . and of course would it be possible to keep my gob shut for the instruction period?

Some of you have seen me ski . . . most of you have seen me sprawled over the hill.

So verdict: Am I adequate to enter the program and should I put my boots where my gob is?

I'm at your mercy. Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Masque, I've not seen you ski so can't comment. But what would be your objective in doing BASI?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, Research Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

And I think it's time to evaluate my skills level in a less than benign and more stringent circumstance than a bash . . . Oh, and build a bigger soapbox Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Video please.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, somewhere others have vid of me from last xmas.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
Video please.

Popcorn....!

"no really I'm hungry!" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, when are you next over here; if you aren't here already??
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, can you ski with any BASI folk, even in a fridge? They'll be able to tell you if you'll get thru Level 1......
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just do level 1. Anyone who can get around the place on skis should be capable of doing it. Your technique may well be a dog's breakfast, but half the purpose of the level 1 is to try to sort that out and give you a good foundation to build on for the subsequent levels.

I have a theory that people tend to turn up for the level 1 confident that they are AWESOME, for the level 2 thinking they are pretty good and for the level 3 knowing just how much they truly suck.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc, kitenski, still over here in the land o'guntards and biblehumpers so I won't be skiing with any BASI folks this season . . . though I've not absolutely ruled out the EOSB but I've no idea if any basi folk will be there.

stevomcd, I can
Quote:
get around the place
on anything board, telemark, telemark-snowboard and alpine . . . which has probably given me a somewhat unique perspective . . . let alone 'technique' rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, I'd personally say go for it, assuming you are willing to listen, learn and change!

Doing my L1 fixed some bad habits I had - but not enough to pass my L2 though Sad

Worst case, you fail, but have a great week of ski coaching! The 3 that failed my L1 all improved and had very specific things to work on.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 21-12-12 13:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, ditto! I did my BASI 1 snowboard after ten years of being entirely self-taught. It was an eye-opener!

On skis, I consider myself pretty useless, but can get around, do almost any piste, even sensible blacks (i.e. not moguls of doom, although I'll tackle bumps if I have to), a smidge of off-piste, kid myself on I can carve a little bit. Will be doing L1 on skis pretty soon as a second discipline and not expecting to struggle too much.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
Masque, I'd personally say go for it, assuming you are willing to listen, learn and change!

waiting. . . .

waiting . . .

yup I can hear the laughter beginning . . . wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still awaiting the video...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, I haven't any but I'll put out an appeal for some from last January in Les Arcs
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
kitenski wrote:

waiting. . . .
waiting . . .

yup I can hear the laughter beginning . . . wink

oh come on .. it was only the last 4 words that had us in fits of giggles!
snow report
Be interesting for you and Fatbob to take your L1's on the same course , he annually threatens to have a go and you two would make a great pair of candidates for some lucky Trainer Toofy Grin
ski holidays
skimottaret, now there's an idea Very Happy
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
Be interesting for you and Fatbob to take your L1's on the same course , he annually threatens to have a go and you two would make a great pair of chalenges for some lucky Trainer Toofy Grin

Fixed . . . wink

Though I am seriously considering it, though my preference would be a Gap course in the three valleys, give me time to work (informally) on my other two disciplines in the same opportunity. I'll see how the summer goes with work and money. I still need to get better upper body strength and maybe see if this shoulder can be improved with surgery.
snow conditions
Masque, you can't start on the excuses until you've booked the course Wink Happy Christmas!
snow report
kitenski, cheers, have a good 'un too Toofy Grin

It's not that bad but getting worse with time, can't do a full push-up with it (proper painful now, about a 7) and I throw a ball like a little girl . . . but I've bought a kettle bell and slowly working on some specifics for it in building better muscular support for the lack of tendons. I'd like to postpone surgery for as long as feasible.
ski holidays
Masque, I've seen you ski, you technical skiing ability is very strong, but you've sort of got your own style. What will be the deciding factor is whether you're versatile enough to change to the BASI way of doing things?

I'd say go for it.
snow report
Masque, you'll be glad to know I didn't do any push ups or throw balls on either my L1 or L2 Wink
snow report
kitenski, They've stopped the morning warm-up aerobics? Shocked Thank goodness, I'm not ready to get back into lycra shorts.
ski holidays
Masque, well on the L2 we did do some 'interesting' warm ups Wink
latest report
Spyderman, I've improved a lot since then but I use boot pressure and balance a lot more than most skiers. It's a legacy from boarding with its very subtle use of mass within quite a narrow range of movement and obviously from mostly telemarking now I stay more central over the ski and use the balls of my feet as pretty much the sole control point for any maneuver initiation and with marked separation of movement at my waist. It may be difficult to adapt, especially to a pure alpine technique that demonstrates a more active use of my body.
snow report
AT bindings . . . adequate for L1/2 use/abuse?

Edit, looking through the various forums its clear that any Alpine binding that has support under the bellows to stop any flex pre-release of the NTN boot will work just fine with the boots. The only safety ? issue being lateral release stiction from the Vibram sole which has proven in practice to 'not' be an issue. Some use a Zardos puck over that area just as an additional safeguard.

I'll contact BASI to see if they have any specific criteria regarding this. I'd like to reduce the quantity (and weight) of all the crap I schlep around the airlines.
ski holidays
Masque, folk with AT bindings ended up hiring skis for the fridge L1 I did, might have been more to do with ski width than the binding IIRC

BASI pre-course info here http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/Level_1_Instructor_More_About_the_Course_July_2011.pdf
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
why a gap course why not just take the exams? If as spyderman says you are strong technically what will you be after from a gappy course? (I ask for a reason as we are considering doing a mini gap course for adults, no Xboxes in the chalet, no "swag" and anyone called Pippa or Brionney will be be barred Wink
latest report
Masque, Would it really hurt that much to turn up with similar kit to everyone else ?
snow conditions
rjs, Not much of what I have is similar kit to everyone else, I'd have to buy new alpine gear just for the course, in fact some of my kit is downright weird. Twisted Evil

skimottaret, I want a season and I quite like the extended shadowing. I was a trampoline coach maaannnny years ago so I have some 'very rusty' x-applicable skills but better to start fresh and try to reboot my head rather than try to meld with old concepts. Though keep me informed about the mini-gap 'cos if I do go down the qualifications route I'd like to look to second disciplines (telemark & snowboard) in the same season while the BASI core concepts are still fresh. I think that Spyderman's an old flatterer wink I will have to make a very conscious effort to break with my current technique as effective as it is I doubt that you or anyone else would want to use it as a teaching example.
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
rjs, Not much of what I have is similar kit to everyone else, I'd have to buy new alpine gear just for the course, in fact some of my kit is downright weird.

I guessed that.

The sort of skis that people recommend for these courses are what you would want to teach on after you pass, there are plenty of threads with suggestions.
latest report
Quote:

I will have to make a very conscious effort to break with my current technique as effective as it is I doubt that you or anyone else would want to use it as a teaching example

if it is "effective" why would it have to change?... BASI isnt to into forms any longer and are pretty open minded on most things especially the further along you get.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
if it is "effective" why would it have to change?... BASI isnt to into forms any longer and are pretty open minded on most things especially the further along you get.

Really Shocked That's very interesting and rather comforting, though I presume I would have to able to deconstruct it and show the progression steps in applying it. At the moment it's an alpine/tele hybryd that completely flummoxed one of the NewGen lads at last year's EOSB Twisted Evil

Keep me in the loop re. courses, I'll send an email to your business branch with contact details.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy