Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Col de la Faucille, Jura navigable at Easter?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're planning a mixed car and plane journey again this year and want to pick up someone from GVA on the way.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

...suggests a route via the Col de la Faucille in the Haute Chain du Jura which shows as 1340m. High-ish, but am I right in guessing that this is very, very unlikely to be blocked at the beginning of April?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless there is a huge dump of snow that particular day I'm sure it would be open. In the highly unlikely event it is closed, alternatively you could go over via St Cergue which is a bit lower
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis, if there's a fair old dump of snow I wouldn't go over either of those routes - would be better to stick to the motorway. But normally there'd be no problem, it's mostly a good road and much nicer than the motorway. Cheaper, too - lower speeds, no tolls. Lots of picnic spots if the weather is good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our final destination is Termignon in the Maurienne. If we have to drive via the motorway then GVA starts to look like a big detour.

Another option is for the flyer to catch the train down to Chambery where the others pick them up on their way past. A less interesting drive, more expense and more things to go wrong but possibly worthwhile in bad weather. At least it would save the headache of negotiating Switzerland without using motorways.

It would be awkward (but not impossible) to leave the decision until the day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keep track of col closures here: http://www.sport-passion.fr/parcours/etat-cols.php
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, excellent!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They do clear the roads quite quickly as a lot of commercial transport (i.e. slow lorries!) use the routes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
altis, It's actually my preferred route at all times unless there is a forecast of serious snow in front of me. I have done it the day after snow with no problem (fog was a bggr though).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I love the route over the Col de la Faucille, we have done it many times in the winter, often with a caravan in tow. It is, as said above, cleared very quickly. One time (not with caravan)we followed a snow plough up from Gex to the top and even though it was snowing heavily we did not need the chains on. We had to put them on to go down the other side though as the snow plough turned round at the top!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy