Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intro to Moguls - how well do you need to be able to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering doing an introduction to moguls session, perhaps at the EoSB if they run one. The thing is what sort of level will they be expecting participants to ski at? It's been suggested that such courses could be run on mogulled black runs and therefore I should be comfortable on a black run (which I am not yet). I wondered if anyone had done something similar and what sort of ability level was needed. I tend to think of myself as a Level 6 on the IO ability scale would that be sufficient.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, I joined the mogul clinic with my ability level firmly set at 'incompetent knob' . . . many assplants later I have risen to 'semi-incompetent knob' . . . very proud o'me'sen Toofy Grin
Tthough I quite like them on a board
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, I was on that mogul clinic with the entity that is Masque.

He speaks the truth Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, Mosha Marc, Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
6 is more than fine. imho.
We did mogul lesson with no moguls. All the bumpy stuff appeared 4 days later.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did the intro bumps classes at the EOSB in 2011. Mostly done on (or off the edge of) red and a few blues, but I don't think any blacks. Learnt a lot and improved a lot. I'm still not good at moguls but I'm not fazed by them. Happy to set of down a moguled black and get down without too much embarrassment (but not a lot of style) now.

Go for it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went on a famous chaps course who taught moguls in a snow plough (for 3 days); to reduce the problem of prelearnt bad habits, I thought it was crap some raved about it. But I had to snowplough/swing down Grand Couloir some years later in big bumps when I had a leg injury so perhaps it worked. Therefore minimum standard for moguls good snowplough
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, there are black runs, and there are black runs... I really doubt the intro to moguls session will be run on black moguls! I'm sure if you can ski blues and reds comfortably, and "get down" something a bit steeper or a red with challenging snow conditions, you'll be fine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, there are black runs, and there are black runs... I really doubt the intro to moguls session will be run on black moguls! I'm sure if you can ski blues and reds comfortably, and "get down" something a bit steeper or a red with challenging snow conditions, you'll be fine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You will be fine and will benefit from the clinic. Starting moguls will help to expose deficiencies in your overall skiing if you have them and will help top get rid of bad habits at the earlier stage. It's not that you are a beginner either, so the timing seems to be good and you will be progressing faster.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, it was on Cascade when I was there. A short black just above resort. You do need bumbs to run a bumps clinic remember wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We started off with the basics on Col and then did quite a bit on Variante and under the Grand Fond lift.

Cascade isn't very demanding as blacks go.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
adithorp, tell that to my arѕe Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, the expression is 'talk to the hand' I think you'll find.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I tend to think of myself as a Level 6 on the IO ability scale

What is that?
latest report
jonm,

1 = beginner,
2-10 = punter
11 = teaches the course
ski holidays
jonm, serious answer: http://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html
ski holidays
Mr Piehole, I would love to put you on my teleboard Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
Masque, It's not that badl It's the first black I ever did.
I did it on my third day skiing but that was because we missed the turn onto the blue at the top (like a lot of others judging by what you can see from the lift). I imagine it wasn't a pretty sight.
snow report
Masque, I remember watching you on that contraption... and off it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
jonm, It got better . . . honest. It's real problem is the acceleration, nothing on the hill gathers speed like that monster Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
do you really need bumps to teach an introductory bumps course? Ok I'm being a bit provocative but personally I'd take an intermediate to the steepest groomed piste that I could find and have them ski rhythmic smooth short turns in the fall line as slowly as possible (fast line slow). Once they could do that I'd throw some bumps in. IME lots of intermeiate skiers want to improve in the bumps but they really need to improve their short turns / speed control on groomers first.

I'm no instructor but when friends want tips this is what I tend to advocate.
snow report
Masque wrote:
Mr Piehole, I would love to put you on my teleboard Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

We've only just met. Let's take it slow for a while, and see how things go, ok?
snow conditions
jedster, wouldn't you be better to teach them to pivot turn in a straight line down the piste?

I think getting the absorbsion/extension thing working is the most important bit. Well for me anyway, I tend to stay absorbing which doesn't feel nice on the next bump!
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, it is Cascades black that I'm thinking of - that's the one I was told about - I've seen it and the moguls on it Shocked I have been down very short sections of official black runs in Switzerland, but it tends to be in terms of whatever works to get down, inc. side slip when I chicken out, rather than in great style. Though I have been down them with proper turns, I tend to consciously avoid them, but these days I'm OK to ski pisted reds in any snow conditions and haven't chickened out of one in the last two trips.
ski holidays
jedster, I agree. Building up mogul skills step by step seems like a sensible way forward. Quick short radius turns, strong pole plant, good rotational separation, strong edge control are all skills that will be tested when you get in to bumps. If you don't have those in place you're unlikely to develop them when you're actually skiing bumps as you will be too busy surviving to actually improve your skills. When you have those skills in place then you should start testing them in bumps, focusing initially on absorbing the terrain, maybe one or two bumps at a time before gradually stringing turns together in a bump field.
latest report
red 27,
Quote:

2-10 = punter

Come, come, customer is the term
snow report
rob - exactly

mosha - "I think getting the absorbsion/extension thing working is the most important bit. Well for me anyway, I tend to stay absorbing which doesn't feel nice on the next bump!"
I know exactly what you mean. To be honest thats why I'm saying short turns slowly rather than pivots. If you ski short turns slowly on a steep piste you create quite a lot of pressure at full angulation (flex deeply, skis across the fall line). You can play with absorbing then releasing this pressure which is actually very similar to absorbing then releasing and turning on/around a mogul.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, my 2p worth is that there's moguls and then there's Shocked Skullie MOGULS.

I'm just back from Tignes in mega snow conditions and although bumps formed on the usual suspects, because the snow was grippy, powdery and generally forgiving my (limited) m-tenchique sufficed and it was even almost fun Shocked

BUT - no snow for 3 weeks and you'll get slick, ovaloid, ice domes on which on a maschochist could derive a perverse pleasure.

so, ....er... book late!
snow report
Quote:

my 2p worth is that there's moguls and then there's MOGULS.

+1 - I'm alright with some fields - it's the overskied forest of ice covered igloos where I keep on getting wedged in the trenchs between mounds that does my head in - not fun.
ski holidays
For what it's worth, Whistler had an amazing powder day yesterday, so the afternoon of my class ended up as a bumps class - level 3 on their six level scale. It was down a blue (European red) - but horrible, although I felt pleased that I'd got down it!
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
getting wedged in the trenchs between mounds that does my head in - not fun.

Laughing I know that feeling
snow report
jedster wrote:
do you really need bumps to teach an introductory bumps course? Ok I'm being a bit provocative but personally I'd take an intermediate to the steepest groomed piste that I could find and have them ski rhythmic smooth short turns in the fall line as slowly as possible (fast line slow). Once they could do that I'd throw some bumps in. IME lots of intermeiate skiers want to improve in the bumps but they really need to improve their short turns / speed control on groomers first.

I'm no instructor but when friends want tips this is what I tend to advocate.

Broadly speaking I agree with this. Bumps are of course put in by people doing short turns in the main, so to be able to ski bumps well you need to be able to do short turns well and accurately i.e turn where you intended to turn.

When someones learning a short rad turn they need to first control speed so: slow speed with a fast tempo, this means good rotary skills to induce skidding and thus speed control combined with edging skills to define the end of a turn, particularly. Vertical skills (flexion/ extension) are required to manage pressure whilst on slopes without bumps and to both manage pressure and retain ski/ground contact when in bumps.

A good well placed pole plant provides rhythm, anticipation, timing and stability in any turn but is even more important in the bumps.

So a red with a bit of gradient to it would work even a steepish blue could be used to teach a decent short rad turn. Then take it into well spaced bumps on similar steepness terrain or slightly steeper if that is all that is available. Then teaching tactics for keeping feet in ground contact and tactics for line selection on the move.

I find pedalling backwards on a cross-trainer machine in the gym gives a close approximation to the movement I use to keep my feet on the ground when extending into the troughs of bumps. If only I could find a machine that did this with both feet at the same time and added the rotary movement it would be perfect!
ski holidays
Sorting out some moguls training for my daughter pre-BASI2, this is what's required for that

http://youtube.com/v/cfn_qImpxzE
ski holidays
That looks a doddle on those fluffy little mogulettes Cool
snow report
"Blue terrain" bumps . . . take me to 'em Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy