Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Boots - ADVICE NEEDE PLEASE

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question regarding new ski boots myself and my boyfriend bought yesterday. We had them professionally fitted from a highly recommend ski boot fitter and paid about £730 between us.

We went to MK snozone to test them out last night and mine were Fab but by Boyfriends boot had a pressure point on his little toe, it was really painful.

My question is: is this something that will go away once the boots have been worn for a bit or do we go back to the boot fitter?
We called him today and said just wear them in and i cant see you until January, Which i felt was a bit of a cop out seeing as we spent that much money there.

Any advice would be great?

Many thanks

Emily
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Emelikate, Sounds like more than a cop out, he needs to sort for you. IME it wont go away and needs some tweaking (the boot not his toe!)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29, it does take a bit of time for a liner to bed in, see below, no cop out, just wanting to make sure that the boot has a chance to bed in before we make them bigger

Emelikate, the boot liner will take a little bit of time to bed in it needs a little more than 2 hours, he is more than welcome to bring them back in to have them adjusted, what we do not what to do though is make too much space there if the liner will bed in.

having just spoken to him to find out about the above he was unaware that you posted on his behalf, as i have explained we are happy to look at them, but suggested another session before we do, this way we will know does it start to get better (it will break in) or does it not (it needs work) we will get him in to do this, it can be put along side another appointment if required, think you spoke to my assistant when i was busy, if he needs to talk to me leave a message and i will call him back as soon as i get free
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was your boyfriend wearing the thinnest sock available? Had he worn them at any time other than for the fitting?

Following a good fitting you can expect your boots to feel "too tight" initially, if they were not then you are incredibly lucky to have such a normal foot/great fitter or too big a boot. I had to wear my boots in around the house for an hour at a time for a while to adjust to them, the initial pressure point faded away after 6-8 hours wear, had I waited until my holiday and worn them 8 straight hours off the bat it would have crippled me for the week!

If I were you I'd lend your man a pair of pop socks and get him to wear the boots round the house for an hour or so a day for a week, if then he still is not comfortable then I would push the fitter for another appointment.

It might be he needs to change socks or persevere, it might be that he needs an adjustment. If he gets the stretch unnecessarily then wears the boots in on holiday and and finds they are now too loose they can't be shrunk back easily! Good luck and Merry christmas. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cross posted with CEM, forget my advice, he has answered you already and he really does know his onions.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Emelikate, I have been bedding my boots for the last month or so. Generally they feel rather uncomfortable for the first few hours but each time I use them they start to feel a bit better.

Tips
Thin socks.
Make sure socks aren't bunched up.
Don't buckle them too tight.
Put your boots on a little bit before you go out skiing so your boots can get warm.
Unbuckle boots on lifts.
If have really specific pressure point try taking boot off, quick sock adjustment and try putting it on again whilst making sure the liner is clear.

If they don't start to feel better after several trips then talk about having an adjustment.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all your Advice everyone.

CEM - thank you for all your help yesterday my boots were FAB, as i have said above, it makes such a difference having insoles that are actually moulded to my feet.

That is good news about the pressure point we will try a couple more go's so hopefully that will help. Just wasn't sure whether it was something that would go away when worn in, or was something that needed adjusting.

Happy Christmas everyone
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rule 5 . . . . . . Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quick question with a similar symptom i.e. right little toe pain, then numb, then cold toes.

Had some new boots fitted and have done about 6-7 hours on them at Hemel. Although the problem has eased slightly, there is still discomfort (never had any discomfort in the past). Left leg/foot - excellent. Right leg/foot, definitely uncomfortable about 20-30 minutes after starting to ski.

I wondered whether it might be related to the custom bed lifting the instep a fraction too high and, as a consequence, pushing my right foot hard up against the side of the boot - at around little toe area.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chasseur, could be footbed, could be shell impossible to say without seeing it, more likely shell, as the instep being high shouldn't push the little toe anywhere (not saying it is not possible) might need a little width in the liner or the shell..what boot is is? might give a clue
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Emelikate, Take them back they don't fit, all this ride up with wear nonsense they don't fit and that's what you paid extra for.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cynic wrote:
Emelikate, Take them back they don't fit, all this ride up with wear nonsense they don't fit and that's what you paid extra for.

read the posts before you respond.... i have already spoken to the actual owner of the boots rather than his proxy, he was unaware she had posted and knows exactly the plan of action, give them another session (they have only skied 2 hours on new skis /boots in a fridge) and if the pressure on the toe is not easing then we will stretch the boot in that area.... the area concerned is at a point in the liner where it may be shell or liner and if liner will settle down in a few hours... stretching a boot shell for no reason is a recipe for a lose fit in the long run... if you fit them like a slipper in the store they feel like a welly on the hillm, but you knew all that and just wanted to add your 2pence worth Little Angel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM, thanks for responding. The boots are Head Edge Adapt Ltd 110. Seems odd that one foot is as close to perfect as one might expect/want.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chasseur, if only feet came out of boxes then both would be the same way... one silly thing to check, the Adapt Edge has a feature on the base to make the shell 2mm narrower by twisting an Allen key ... there are two little plastic tabs which should be protruding either side of the toe pad by about 1mm each side... make sure they are the same on both boots...... if one has been turned then that boot would be narrower.... alternatively a swift attack of a boot stretcher will resolve the problem
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, if only, indeed! Thanks for the heads up (pun intended!)...they're the same on both boots. I'll hold off on the boot stretcher and see whether the liner packs out a bit more following a week's blasting, as opposed to 3 split sessions at Hemel.

The manufacturers foot bed totally alleviates the problem, so if push comes to shove and there is no significant improvement in a few days, I could always revert to one of those as a temporary measure.

Again, thanks for the contribution.
ski holidays
why would too much space around the little toe be a bad thing? I just don't get the idea, just go get the shell stretched, even if the liner packs into a 2 cm void isnt going to effect anything. simple cop out!! we dont want too much space here?? what difference would that make? please dont say boot out!!
ski holidays
CH2O, should clarify, it is 5th met head rather than little toe (according to what the owner told me) if it were little toe then yes agree, wouldn't cause a problem

you seem to have changed your way of thinking?
ski holidays
Heh heh, well handled CEM.

I had boots fitted by a well known fitter round these parts 3 years ago and while they are now the most comfortable boots I have owned (thanks SOLE) the first 30 minutes were almost unbearable.

There you go...

I suppose the take away is that you really do need to have them fitted by someone that you can easily go back to for tweaks.
snow report
Having just sold a pair of 'professionally' fitted boots after enduring two seasons of agony I would say that some moderate pain or discomfort for a couple of days on the slopes is not unusual; unbearable pain is unlikely to resolve itself. I had my boots fitted by Lockwoods in Leamington Spa who convinced me that half a size smaller was the way to go. I'm not a professional skier, I'm an intermediate recreational skier and comfort is everything; unbearable pain will ruin your skiing holiday.
What I learnt from this experience was two things.
1. Don't be talked into buying a smaller size.
2. Listen to your own body and pain signals before you listen to boot fitters.
For some reason when we have ski boots fitted we tend to not trust our own judgement on the issue because the whole discussion regarding fit and 'packing out' of the boot has been terribly over complicated.
snow conditions
joemalone, hear hear!
ski holidays
joemalone, on the other hand, every pair I've ever tried on in a shop has felt okay.

But, the ones that were "fitted" are now easily the most comfortable and "closest" fitting pair I've ever had.
ski holidays
Well I bought my own foot measuring gauge off EBay which allowed me to measure the length and width of my foot. I knew from this that I needed at least 65mm width in the boot. No shop fitter had even told me that I had a wide foot. This allowed me to do my own research and simply order offline. The result being that I got a boot that gave me one day of discomfort on the slopes but was perfect by day two.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Invicta-Foot-and-Hand-Measure-Education-Supplies-NEW-Fun-Shoes-Size-Measurer-/181048605507?pt=Girl_s_Clothing&hash=item2a27567b43
snow report
joemalone wrote:
Well I bought my own foot measuring gauge off EBay which allowed me to measure the length and width of my foot. I knew from this that I needed at least 65mm width in the boot. No shop fitter had even told me that I had a wide foot. This allowed me to do my own research and simply order offline. The result being that I got a boot that gave me one day of discomfort on the slopes but was perfect by day two.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Invicta-Foot-and-Hand-Measure-Education-Supplies-NEW-Fun-Shoes-Size-Measurer-/181048605507?pt=Girl_s_Clothing&hash=item2a27567b43

seriously i hope that the 65mm you typed was a mistake.... 65mm doesn't even register on the width gauge of any foot measurer, so either you have your numbers wrong or there is something interesting biomechanical going on with your foot which makes it function a whole lot wider than its width to be a wide (ish) foot you would need to have 102mm or more width in a size 26.5 and close on 90mm in a size 22.5 would be about the equivalent

please don't tar all fitters with the same brush, the thread was about a small area of pain at the outside of the foot, a pain which was not there in the shop but came on during a 2 hour session , and that can be rectified very simply if it does not subside during another similar 2 hour session
snow report
Ski boots are rubbish, feet are rubbish, bootfitters are rubbish, bah humbug.
snow report
for the record, this winter, so far the greatest amount of downsizing we've "forced" and then "tortured" a client into was 4 whole sizes, not a half, 4 whole sizes. She's amazed, over the moon and regularly stops by to give us each a nosh. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:
for the record, this winter, so far the greatest amount of downsizing we've "forced" and then "tortured" a client into was 4 whole sizes, not a half, 4 whole sizes. She's amazed, over the moon and regularly stops by to give us each a nosh. Toofy Grin

happy ending Toofy Grin
snow conditions
CEM, Yes, she does always have to ask us in which order we'd like our button flies opened in.
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:
She's amazed, over the moon and regularly stops by to give us each a nosh. Toofy Grin
. . . must resist . . . . must resist Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM wrote:
joemalone wrote:

seriously i hope that the 65mm you typed was a mistake....

Errr, yes it was... Got my flex ratings mixed up with my foot width but the point remains the same.
latest report
First pair I bought were comfortable from day 1. After 1 week they were too big Sad In a cupboard somewhere if anyone wants some cheap 27.5s.
ski holidays
joemalone, out of interest, did you go back up a half size with the self measured boots and also why didnt you go back to lockwoods?
latest report
whilst i await a response, some thoughts from me.

I will skip to the first pair of boots i had fitted at a major retailer, i was very happy but always felt that when skiing that i had to cranks the buckles tight to stop my feet moving in the boot. I was happy with the fitting session. My feet were measured for length and i was asked which make and model i would like. I used those boots for a number of years and always had issues, which went from camping to pins and needles or feeling like my feet were flapping about inside the boots, I just thought it was my skiing.

Thinking about this i went to another major retailer for a review, they said i needed custom footbeds to sort out the issues (what do i know these are experts) so i paid the money and spent 2 hours getting these sorted.

next season, didnt really see a huge amount of difference but i had custom fitted footbeds, so as far as everyone else was concerned my boots were great.........

2010 I needed new boots (well that was my excuse) so i went to a bootfitter who also sells boots, 3 or so hours later i am in boots that are a lot tighter fiitting than my original boots (28.5 down to 26.5 ) cut to now... Have i had any discomfort or pain from these boots? Yes

Do i get any pain or discomfort now? Yes but only when i really crank them tight for a particular reason.

In normal skiing do I have any issues. No , and its not just about comfot, its about control

what would i like doing differently? Well i would prefer that all people who say they are boot footing experts to understand the person, the body' the foot and the sport and activity and there be a defined qualification and clear guidelines rather than selling what they have or makes the most profit

I recently made a personal off forum recomendation to go to a fitter around these parts, the fitter after 15 minutes sent them elsewhere as they did not sell boots that would fit their feet,style,skiing level, i very much doubt that a lot of big retailers would have done this,

There is nothing wrong with the quality of a lot of people fitting boots in major or minor retailers in fact for lots of people they will do just fine, and if i am honest i was happy in ignorance when i first bought boots, having had a fitted pair I now know the difference between boots that I fit and boots that fit me.

I have said this before in other threads, it is not required to go to a dedicated and specialised boot fitter as a number of major retailers have some very good folks who work for them but they should be looking to find the right boot for you rather than the boot that you want fittd to your foot.
latest report
CH2O wrote:

What exactly does she nosh?
latest report
joemalone wrote:

Pity that a little intelligence is often mistaken for some intelligence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to a ski fitter......... try boots on.............work out what is more or less what you want..............check it out on Ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
joemalone, 65mm is almost half my 102 mm width accommodating Nordica's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q........................ what drugs you on????????????????????????????

Do they deliver?????????
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
joemalone, out of interest, did you go back up a half size with the self measured boots and also why didnt you go back to lockwoods?

Yes, my ski boot size mirrors my shoe size which is a 9. I didn't go back to Lockwoods because I made a special trip there in the first place and its a fair distance from Nottingham. Also, the boots were so bad that I had the shells blown on about day five of the first holiday. It helped with the width issues but the length of the boot was just too short.
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:
joemalone, 65mm is almost half my 102 mm width accommodating Nordica's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q........................ what drugs you on????????????????????????????

Do they deliver?????????

Because I make a mistake on the boot width? Get a life!
snow report
joemalone, Get a boot that fits, then get a life!
latest report
joemalone, size 9... so what size boots do you have? boot manufacturers don't use UK shoe sizes...what is the mondopoint size (or the mm sole length)? i just want to confirm what i am thinking
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
joemalone, size 9... so what size boots do you have? boot manufacturers don't use UK shoe sizes...

Thanks for enlightening us. Manufacturers don't use UK shoe sizes, who knew?
Seems I've stumbled on a thread inhabited by boot fitting 'professionals' so perhaps you could further enlighten us with your line of thinking?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy