Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet La Plagne - recommendation and those to avoid - please help

Poster: A snowHead
hi all,

Just been looking at La Plagne for beginner trying to build confidence and for me to develop further.

Can you guys recommend a chalet and/or list the ones to avoid?

I am looking at 2nd week of Jan (5th or 6th Jan).

Help is much appreciated

rb51
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
redbaron51, Chalet Balcons (Sp?) in Belle Plagne is practically ski in/out. Crystal are the TO. Nice chalet, great location with some very easy beginner/progressor stuff in BP.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
redbaron51, haven't stayed in Chalet Balcons in BP but second BP as a good location for you and the beginner. But it's really big - no a normal chalet. I think Crystal only handle a part of it.

(I've stayed in what is now the Mercure hotel, formerly the El Dorador, just up the slope several times). BP is not however great for night life.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks guys,

we are not keen on apres...just like to have a nice hot bath/shower and chill out in the chalet really......

What is the difference between BP and Plagne 1800???
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
redbaron51, Why choose a muhassive ski area as a beginner? You could save on money and convenience by choosing a smaller, less well known resort.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dubaian wrote:
redbaron51, haven't stayed in Chalet Balcons in BP but second BP as a good location for you and the beginner. But it's really big - no a normal chalet. I think Crystal only handle a part of it.

Correct. Large building sub-divided into smaller catered chalets. Right behind a blue piste, 6 minute walk into centre of BP (covered walkway mostly), I believe there is access to the swimming pool which should be included in the holiday cost.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
redbaron51 wrote:

What is the difference between BP and Plagne 1800???

About 400m Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, Can everyone please recommend some to me?
It is mainly for the OH to build her confidence. I was told Cervinia-IT is great but it seems a bit expensive....

Please help us with recommendations

rb51
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
redbaron51, BP is prettier (to my mind) and higher. It's at about 2000m. (Not really a significant advantage in early Jan with the snow they've already got this season). Good access to many of the higher areas. Not many queues.

1800 is more of the central bit of what is overall a really huge area - wouldn't call it a resort. The French term 'domaine' is better.

BP is the end of the line as far as road transport is concerned and Chalet Balcons is right on the roundabout where the buses stop. Cars go underground to a vast car park and are never seen again for the duration of the holiday.

If your beginner is taking lessons, he/she might have a little walk to get to the meeting area - but nothing too strenuous.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
redbaron51, from my experience Cervinia is vastly cheaper than La Plagne, where are you looking?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I found the route from Belle Plagne to the chairs in Bellecote really difficult as a beginner. If I was to learn again and on holiday, then I'd go to Plagne Centre (if looking at the La Plagne group of villages).

The nursery slope is walking distance. The green is easy to get to and from and there are LOTS of blues that come directly back to Plagne Centre Very Happy

No specific recommendations as I haven't worked up there. Maybe VIP Ski? Or Mark Warner have an hotel in Centre but its a bit more of a walk from there to the green.

There may be better resorts but I only know La Plagne (and not very well it seems!!) sorry
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
redbaron51, Why choose a muhassive ski area as a beginner? You could save on money and convenience by choosing a smaller, less well known resort.

+1
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dubaian wrote:

If your beginner is taking lessons, he/she might have a little walk to get to the meeting area - but nothing too strenuous.

Good point Dunaian, the meeting point is essentially on the other side of BP. It isn't that far, but may well be a bit of a trek for a newb. That said, once one has the basics, a short walk turning right out of the chalet (assuming exiting on the piste side), uphill, following round to the right and one gets to a very shallow decline most of the way to the ski school meeting area. Nice little practice run.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

+1

To be followed by some constructive suggestions, perhaps...? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chaletgirl, agreed there is a short nasty steepish bit right behind the Balcons - not beginner terrain - but there are other easier ways down to Bellecote from BP.
snow report
queen bodecia, I have been browsing for TOs on the net as I normally DIY....Cheapest i found was £475 Flights/transfers/Accom.
La Plagne can get for less than £400 it seems.

chaletgirl, thanks for the tips. She can link parallel turns but always afraid of speed and steepness. Although she does not need nursery slopes, I think she will feel more confident on easier slopes.

I will start a new thread for resort suggestions.
snow report
redbaron51, the difference is probably catered and self-catering. There's not a great deal of self-catered accommodation in Cervinia whereas La Plagne is full of it. You might find that unless you really want to shop, cook and clean for yourselves, self-catering is not necessarily a cost-saving exercise.
ski holidays
Have you thought about Montchavin/Les Coches? Good area for beginners and links well to the whole paradiski area.
snow conditions
queen bodecia, Agree, hence me looking for a catered ski holiday. We do want catered accommodation, this is a requirement.

annaski, No I havent. I have skied 4 weeks (1 in Flaine and 3 in la Rosiere) the OH skied 3 weeks in La Rosiere. We do not know much about good resorts for improvers, etc. Any chalet/hotel recommendation?
snow report
Montchavin/Les Coches are two villages part of the La Plagne ski area but close to the the link with Les Arcs, so have good access to the whole Paradiski area. Montchavin is a pretty, compact village with everything you need - shop, pharmacy, bars, restaurants etc though not with a big apres ski scene. Lots of independent chalet companies operating in the area at various price points.

Frosty the Snowman makes a good point about not paying the premium for a large ski area - Peak Retreats website has lots of useful info about smaller/lesser known resorts in France.
snow conditions
Quote:

Peak Retreats website has lots of useful info about smaller/lesser known resorts in France.

indeed they do, but focussed on self-catering. How about starting from a different point of view, and looking for somewhere with a ski school which can provide exactly the right kind of small group lessons for you both to progress? Les Gets, for example, with BASS. At the stage you describe choice of ski school is more crucial than choice of resort (or kind of accommodation).

Self-catering doesn't have to mean a life of slavery. Most resorts have a range of pleasant restaurants and bars and shops where you can buy really easy, tasty, stuff for when you don't want to cook yourself. Eating compulsorily in the same place every night isn't everyone's idea of a good time. wink

As a suggestion for catered accommodation with tuition thrown in, how about Simon Butler Skiing in Megeve?
ski holidays
redbaron51, I think La plagne would be great now you've defined that you're not quite such beginners, Personally I'd be looking at Belle Plagne, as it's well located, Centre as that puts you in the middle of things or potentially one end of another like Monchavin/les coches. I'd avoid 1800 as it can be a bit tricky to return too, and it can be a pain in the butt walking up and down all the stairs.

Not sure whether it's in your budget, but you could do a lot worse than this hotel - http://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-resorts/france-ski-holidays/la-plagne/hotel-terra-nova-plagne-centre/ right on a green slope, a short walk (or a dead easy chair 'n' slide) to the ski school meeting point, ski hire on site etc
snow report
thank you all for the tips, much appreciated...

OH is changing her mind and might not want to go as she prefers to spend cash on sofa, furniture, etc....

will put a thread on Solo skiers forums and start again from scratch....unbelievable
latest report
redbaron51 wrote:

will put a thread on Solo skiers forums and start again from scratch....unbelievable

I take it you mean a new relationship...? Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

she prefers to spend cash on sofa, furniture, etc....

Shocked
latest report
Chasseur wrote:
redbaron51 wrote:

I take it you mean a new relationship...? Toofy Grin

Nice!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy