Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

lessons or 'just go for it'

Poster: A snowHead
background:

I learnt to ski approx 4 years ago on a ski holiday. I went with a few friends who 'taught' me to ski by strapping a pair of blades on me and pushing me down red runs for a half day until I picked it up... though crude it did seem effective.
Unfortunately I've not managed to get onto the slopes since but an looking at booking a trip to St. Anton for next season.

the question is... do I get an all day pass at hemel or MK, hire some real ski's and just attempt to blow the cobwebs off that way then maybe get a few lessons in after to tidy things up or are lessons essential? I was reasonably confident (and safe) on all runs by the end of the week but that was a while ago!

the reason I ask is that i really don't want to waste £90 or whatever a lesson costs on someone teaching me how to snow plough...

opinions please
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if you can snowplough already, you will learn something more interesting doing lessons. you may have learnt all the right things on your last trip but IMV it is highly unlikely. taking some lessons will pay dividends in the long run
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally speaking get lessons, ideally before you and out there, as you will get more from it that way. Especially if you are going out for the week beginning 14th April.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you don't want to "waste" some of whatever the trip in total is costing you, then "invest" now in lessons for "return" from here on in. Pre trip lessons from good recommended instructors best in my humble opinion.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lessons it is!

cheers
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally I would go out and book a private lesson for day 2. Blow the cobwebs on day 1. Have the private lesson to get guidance on what corrections you need to make and work on. Then spend the rest of the week putting that into practice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
New poster, taught by his mates on snowblades on a week's ski holiday 4 years ago, was competent and safe on all runs by the end of the week, hasn't skied since, is heading to St Anton where all the young guns with big baws go to do air, have sex and drink beer as they're hucking off giant moguls, dancing on tables and telling their mates and snowheads what ski gods they are ...

.... wants to know if he should take some lessons. Toofy Grin

Very funny. Laughing

But you all enjoy getting sucked into it if you want. wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 19-12-12 13:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moffatross wrote:
New poster, taught by his mates on a week's ski holiday 4 years ago, was competent and safe on all runs by the end of the week, hasn't skied since, is heading to St Anton where all the young guns with big baws go to do air, have sex and drink beer as they're hucking off giant moguls, dancing on tables and telling their mates and snowheads what ski gods they are ...

Very funny. Laughing

You are probably right -- i ll go back to lurking the weather threads....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you can invest in some lessons inat HH or MK before you go and find a recommended group lessons for mornings and practice what you have learnt in the afternoons. Far better to invest at the start getting the foundations right rather than spend a fortune later correcting bad habits!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross wrote:
New poster, taught by his mates on snowblades on a week's ski holiday 4 years ago, was competent and safe on all runs by the end of the week, hasn't skied since, is heading to St Anton where all the young guns with big baws go to do air, have sex and drink beer as they're hucking off giant moguls, dancing on tables and telling their mates and snowheads what ski gods they are ...

Very funny. Laughing

Ha aww come on man... I was just asking for some help and advice from seasoned skiers, not stereotyping and sarcasm. Everyone as to be a beginner at some point.

If you must know I learnt on blades as I was told(apparently wrongly?) that they would be easier for a beginner to handle, I have not ski'd for 4 years because I've been doing a master degree and therefore could not afford to go, and I've picked St. Anton because I've recently relocated to Muenchen and was under the impression from trawling the forum that it was the best resort within a few hours drive... Please feel free to correct me if you think otherwise.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
robski0724082, Forget St Anton until you can really ski the normal size skis. There are plenty of resorts within much easier reach of München than St Anton. The German resorts would suit you fine at your level and you can get a combined BOB train ticket and ski pass from the Hauptbahnhof which will take you to Lenggries. Buses go from Sport Scheck every weekend with their own ski school to places like Sudelfeld, Ski Welt (Austria), Garmisch.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I went with a few friends who 'taught' me to ski by strapping a pair of blades on me and pushing me down red runs for a half day

So ... what you're saying is that you cannot, in fact, ski for toffee. Laughing

Samerberg Sue is right - 'best' in the context of ski resorts usually means either biggest, most expensive or most fashionable. Or possibly all three. You'll get more out of your ski budget if you spend it on a cheaper lift ticket and more tuition.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robski0724082, Laughing

Welcome to snowheads, as you were.....go and take lessons, a few years back we had a relative beginner with us, she'd had only a couple of lessons on plastic and thought she would be ok, once in the resort and on the first run it was very clear she wasn't really ready, she had no control and I had to put myself between her and a big drop off she was heading for....

As they hadn't booked any other lessons for her in the resort, they decided to try her on blades as a possible solution for that week, well on the blades she had no problems.... shallow reds being her limit.

The moral....blades are blades, skis are skis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can get a Bayern ticket to Garmisch for €42 which includes train and ski pass, pretty good value, why don't you head there for a few days and get some lessons. As Samerberg Sue says there is also the BOB to Lengries and a few others as well. I also agree that a bigger resort is a bit of a waste until you can ski it all, and get off the blades, learn to ski.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sport scheck and sport schuster and others do ski lesson packages where they sort the bus, the lessons, the skis, etc for you. friends did this when they moved there and it really set them up well. do NOT bother with stanton until you can really ski. you have more great ski areas within 2 hours than you can wave a stick at once you're competent.

i miss living in muenchen Sad
ski holidays
robski0724082 wrote:
moffatross wrote:

Very funny. Laughing

Ha aww come on man... I was just asking for some help and advice from seasoned skiers, not stereotyping and sarcasm. Everyone as to be a beginner at some point.

If you must know I learnt on blades as I was told(apparently wrongly?) that they would be easier for a beginner to handle, I have not ski'd for 4 years because I've been doing a master degree and therefore could not afford to go, and I've picked St. Anton because I've recently relocated to Muenchen and was under the impression from trawling the forum that it was the best resort within a few hours drive... Please feel free to correct me if you think otherwise.

That pointless sarcasm has already been done many times for the same stereotype, it's a favourite snowheads passtime. So, sorry if you are for real, and I genuinely mean that.

But, you did post into the same section of the forum at precisely the same time that the hottest thread was one in which the collective snowheads ski gods were busy patronising another poster for considering that he/she could become an able skier without formal instruction. You told the snowheads you'd learned on snowblades which if you do a google for "snowblades" site:snowheads.com will reveal more collective snowhead sneering than "borovets" and, although you've finished your 'Masters' and in your second post revealed that you've moved to Munich, in your first post, you were asking the snowheads if it was worth taking a lesson at Hemel Hempstead which even a wee thicko like me knows is a long way from Germany but is a place where snowheads are known to hang out en masse.

Apologies for being cynical. Little Angel

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 21-12-12 18:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
robski0724082 wrote:
and I've picked St. Anton because I've recently relocated to Muenchen and was under the impression from trawling the forum that it was the best resort within a few hours drive... Please feel free to correct me if you think otherwise.

Well, it is... but not for you. Until you're skiing offpiste regularly, there's little point in you going all the way to St Anton. Ski Welt (or similar) has more suitable runs for you.
ski holidays
robski0724082, I think you've made a good decision in getting lessons. If I'm being honest I'm glad I wasn't on the same bit of mountain the day your mates were:

Quote:

pushing me down red runs for a half day

I hope that you approach your lessons with the viewpoint that you may have picked up the odd 'bad habit' with this approach that might possibly need to be...... err.....unlearned!
snow report
It's such a shame that ski instruction has such a poor reputation.
'Why would I waste £90 ..."
Legacy thing, the vast majority of ski instruction these days is excellent.

Take the cost of your holiday per day.
Would you spend roughly £20 per day to have a much much better time ?
And the benefit carries forward to all your future holidays too.

Take a 2 hour private lesson on day 2.
Any decent instructor will make such a difference they will transform your holiday.

Lol, I am pretty much fully booked for the season already, but I feel quite strongly about this.
If we can actualy make the lesson happen, I'll guarantee it.
If you can stand face to face with me at the end of your holiday & say your lesson wasn't worth the money, I'll refund it.
Any other instructors want to rise to the challenge ?
latest report
The only way that you are going to be in control is to take some instruction, there are lots of ways of getting it, and I don't care which route that you go, but it scares me a lot skiing alongside self taught skiers, and I include some of my mates in that group. Self taught skiers tend to use muscle rather than technique to maintain control, and sometimes strength is not enough. Strangely I am less frightened of self taught boarders!
latest report
DavidYacht wrote:
Strangely I am less frightened of self taught boarders!

That's 'cos weez got natural grace and eleganz and a tru zen conekshun wid de powpow Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Masque, Cutting lines above others etc
latest report
Cynic, natural selekshun man . . . natural selekshun Twisted Evil
ski holidays
DavidYacht wrote:
The only way that you are going to be in control is to take some instruction,
...........nonsense. Instruction might help but its not the only way to be in control. I'm a pretty reasonable skier and never had a professional lesson. I'm not unsafe and I don't beleive I've ever caused anyone I'm skiing alongside to feel unsafe or in danger from me. There are different types of learners and we don't all need expensive lessons which I can't afford for sure to enjoy safe skiing. Sorry but I get a bit itchy with the blinkered view that "only instruction will do"!

Edited to add that I accept for a probable majority of folks lessons are the way to go but its not necessary for everyone so I wish people would consider that a little more before insinuating that anyone who doesn't take lessons is a menace. If I'm honest the only reason I didn't take lessons was financial...quite simply I couldn't afford them. But as fortune sometimes favour I found I was pretty good from the outset and sensible enough to develop my own learning. It is possible.
ski holidays
jirac18,
Quote:
I accept for a probable majority of folks lessons are the way to go but its not necessary for everyone
Actually it is, we all take lessons either informally from our peers or formally via professional instruction and you may well be able to ski safely. . . within a limited skills and conditions window . . . and THAT is not a guarantee of you not hurting yourself of being a danger to others. Some of the things I slide on I've had to learn myself because there are no instructors to teach me. That doesn't mean that I can't apply skills I've been taught from other disciplines. The arrogance of stating that you don't need lessons is the obvious indicator that you do and at some point you will ski outside your competence and with any luck the damage you do will be just to yourself and stop you from putting the rest of us at risk. Your positioning also indicates that are almost certainly a risk taker and probably quite competitive . . . another 'red flag' for a ski-bourn sociopath.
snow report
robski0724082, Well, as others have said, welcome. Do go for lessons. Go for a day trip to SkiWelt etc. you won't be learning to snowplough all over again. Any instructor is going to want to see you do a couple of turns and assess where you are up to. The instructors would rather move around the mountain so they won't want to stand on the same patch of snow all day whilst you snowplough.
As Alan McGregor suggested, a 2 hour private lesson is likely to be money well spent.

In fact, the money you save by not going to St Anton (yet) will get you ready to cope with St Anton all the sooner and increase your chances of not only getting back without broken limbs, but actually enjoying St Anton.
snow report
Masque, like I said before....nonsense. I'm not a risk taker at all. I used to be very competetive but having competed at a very high level of sports I find that now retired and in my mid forties I'm really not competetive certainly when it comes to skiing. You've really demonstrated amply my argument that people like you with your attitude think you know what's best for EVERYONE. You don't. You speak for most people but not all so climb down off you "you must have lessons or be a danger to others" high horse. I am a self taught skier and quite content with my lot, not expert never will be have no designs to be but I can certainly enjoy two weeks a year skiing safely and appropriately for myself and those around me. Wife and kids all have professional instruction because it's what they need.
Trust me when I say that if you saw me ski I know you'd find things wrong with technique as you might with lots of people but you'd also think bloody well done for skiing as well as you do with no lessons. That's not being arrogant so please don't take it that way. I got down to a 6 golf handicap and have never ever had a minutes tuition in my life. Could I have made scratch with lessons......yes I could have but for how I wanted to play and enjoy the game lessons were just a waste of money to me.
snow conditions
jirac18, I'm not trying to speak for Masque but he/she is right with the comment that we all learn either from professional instruction or from our peers - by watching others.
If you have leaned without paid for lessons then good on you.
I can only speak for myself and my children. I'm glad that we did have lessons since that has helped us to achieve a level that I don't think we would have reached safely unaided.
Each to their own.
Enjoy your skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Exactly each to their own....but I just get knarly when people make sweeping assumptions that if someone hasn't had lessons that they are a danger to everyone else and themselves...its simply not true. I am a very consciencious father and husband and object to be brnaded directly or indirectly as being reckless. And just because you or anyone else might not be able to safely learn to a point doesn't mean I or anyone else can't. You and masque may well be for all I know way better skiers than I, probably are, but thats not the point.

I fully understand we all learn from watching others, thats exactly what I've done with friends who are better skiers than me. But in essence I learned by just doing it and having very good natural coordination, balance, athletic ability but most importantly an attitude and intelligence to learn. So to call me a "ski-bourn sociopath" is frankly ridiculous and unecessarily unfair!
snow report
I've skiied for three weeks and had lessons each time and I'd do the same again, but I think in my third week (and to some extent my second week) I developed much more by reading and thinking and experimenting on my own than I did from the lessons.
ski holidays
Going slightly off post but still relevant, the sports and social club were I work were organising a trip to chill factore and asked me for some input.

I suggested that the none skiers/boarders could tag along and take a session on the tobaggon run, but they should forewarn the staff at CFe that it would be an adult party. The look of astonishment on the faces when I said this was unbelievable. The reply from someone was

"NO NO NO we are not farting about doing that, we want to have a do at skiing. I mean how hard can it be if a fat old fart like you can do it"

I said well crack on lads and book a session on the slopes, but trust me you will very quickly be thrown off when it is evident you have never skied before.
snow report
jirac18, The day that ANYONE says they've nothing left or have no need to learn just demonstrates their ignorance and you quantify your own arrogance . . . and I've many more years than you and also competed at national level in 'sports' rolling eyes . You may be "content", I'll call it self satisfied smugness. I've no problem in people saying they don't want lessons, I do with some fookwit who says he don't(sic) need 'em!

As an afterthought,
Quote:
sports
Quote:
at at a very high level
requires at least some dedication to training and skills updating so either you couldn't be arѕed, you got canned from the team or you just didn't hack it. . . in any way you are a hypocrite Evil or Very Mad

Yer a dick to join a thread where someone who's not been on snow for 4 years and then admits to careening around the hill with his mates on blades as the sum total of his experience is asking for serious advice and YOU! God of all self-taught mediocre, masturbatory technique basically pouts his feathers up and shouts LOOK AT ME, I don't need lessons. I know everything I need to know about skiing . . . in my wee bubble.
I change my opinion about you, you may have once been a competitive risk taker . . . now you're just a prick with delusions of adequacy . . . ѕhit! You must be less fun to spend time with than me rolling eyes
snow conditions
jirac18, PS there's a 'G' in gnarly . . . fook! Old enough to be his father and even I can get it right . . . Confused
latest report
Masque,
It's Sunday morning, shouldn't you be at church. snowHead
latest report
Kel, just re-editing my sermon now, then a 6 mile run to get some dawn pics of the Anastasia lighthouse . . . sorry, are you being facetious? . . . Shame on you my son Sad
snow conditions
Masque, did you realise that 'facetious' is one of the two words in common(?) use in English that contains all five vowels in alphabetical order?
Can anyone name the other?
Clue - it certainly cannot be applied to me.
Prize - a pint of Weizen to be collected when and if I can get myself to a bash
ski holidays
Kel wrote:
Going slightly off post but still relevant, the sports and social club were I work were organising a trip to chill factore and asked me for some input.

I suggested that the none skiers/boarders could tag along and take a session on the tobaggon run, but they should forewarn the staff at CFe that it would be an adult party. The look of astonishment on the faces when I said this was unbelievable. The reply from someone was

"NO NO NO we are not farting about doing that, we want to have a do at skiing. I mean how hard can it be if a fat old fart like you can do it"

I said well crack on lads and book a session on the slopes, but trust me you will very quickly be thrown off when it is evident you have never skied before.

I'd like to have seen how long they lasted before getting booted off. Laughing
latest report
If one does not have good orthodox basic technique and have not been to ski school several times until they are a strong parallel; years later when they think oh I will become a ski instructor when I retire, or I will have some advanced technique lessons, they find it is too late. The sinking feeling of someone wanting private lessons to sort out self taught technique from a book or learnt to plough and guessed the rest, now I want to carve please? Still it keeps the fancier ski schools in business catering for the later middle class customers once the kids have flown.
snow report
JohnHSmith,

Abstemious, I claim my pint
snow report
Kel, baѕtard Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy