Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need some new skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ive been skiing Salomon Foils for the past four years and in general I love them. I ski mostly East Coast spend all day in bumps, glades and if not there than im usually on the edge of the trail trying tight turns over the washed out crud. The only problem with the foils seems to be high speed on groomers (which really isn't my thing) and ICE which on the East Coast is inevitable.It might be me but these skis just slide right out on me when on icy conditions. Any suggestions for something that might fit my needs. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First off, I think there can often be confustion as to what people mean by ice. There is literally ice, whereby the snow has melted to water and then refroze. And then there is snow that is very hard and supersmooth due to the combo of cold, wind, piste bashers and skiers. Someone, an instructor iirc, once told me you can't ski ice. I took "ski" = "turn on" or "edge on". The advice was to simply flat ski over it until you get on something with grip. With small patches that is find but for much bigger sections not safe to do so. Clearly it is possible to ski ice because that is what effectively downhill racers do. But I suspect you would have to tune your kit specifically for it. And to do so would have a downside if you were generally skiing normal slopes. If you are saying that you basically can not ski smooth slopes that mere mortals have no problems with it could be your kit isn't well tuned. Do you get them serviced regularly. Alternatvely it could be technique issue. Sorry I don't know much about the Foils. In general I can get by on boilerplate like slopes. I see them as something to endure if necessary. I've had the sensation of ski's going from under me on occasion. But I've always figured that was normal unless as above I tuned my ski's to the standard of a downhill racer. Be interested if anyway as another opinion.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting thread on the subject of "ice"...

http://www.snowheads.co.uk/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=75012
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Working off that thread it could be your equipment and/or technique. Maybe you could hire a slalom/race ski, tuned for hard piste skiing and see how it feels in comparison.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy