Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oh, I buy this which means I need that and then that and then ON NOES OVERLOAD

Poster: A snowHead
This is a "What have I forgotten?" post. Also a oh god why is there never a consensus about ANYthing post.

Alright. I buy skis. Maybe tomorrow.
I buy poles. Any sodding poles roughly the right height. Too many decisions already.

I nick a Ski bag. Or buy one.
Decision: Soft or hard (For Masque - flaccid or erect?). How can softs even protect at all? Surely those with boots must squash the boots into the skis and if not directly damaging give a point about which other things can be plonked on the skis and bend them oddly?

Then the servicing/waxing decision - there appear to be loads of posts (I've spent my afternoon browsing) with different opinions, but while some say don't ski much on new skis others say they'll last a week without needing waxing. Either way, they'll definitely need waxing by the end of the trip.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91364
I'll probably store them abroad at mate's house - so get them waxed in resort, rather than here. Should I learn to wax/invest in waxy stuff?

Storing skis post trips and summer: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=16936

So - what have I forgotten? What other than ski bag should I decide on and buy? Do I need to learn to adjust bindings?

Yes, if I'm this much of a numpty I should probably not get skis but but BUT!

Summary: Is there any obvious kit I'm missing if I have skis, poles, boots, helmet and clothes? (And am not heading off-piste. Yet.)
Is there ANY consensus on ski bags? (Especially given I might have to transport on the tube - what's least likely to get me lynched at Piccadilly Circus?)
What should I research/learn next - when and how to wax?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
well.... so far you've only talked about one pair of skis...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always find it a bit strange that people agonise about ski bags, particularly the hard ones - we all strive to ski as hard and fast as we can and jump off the highest cliff in the world etc., yet we are terrified our skis will disintegrate whilst being loaded onto a plane?

I aint flaming - genuine puzzlement!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly wrote:
well.... so far you've only talked about one pair of skis...

Yes. I might end up with two in a few years. But I don't think I'll be able to ever justify more than two at a time. I live in a shoebox, mate will too.

Razz
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
barry wrote:
I always find it a bit strange that people agonise about ski bags, particularly the hard ones - we all strive to ski as hard and fast as we can and jump off the highest cliff in the world etc., yet we are terrified our skis will disintegrate whilst being loaded onto a plane?

I aint flaming - genuine puzzlement!

I've seen what happens to things in planes. That said - most of the things I've seen bought seats have been musical instruments, so more understandable. I've only seen a cello used to ski (sledge) in a bond film.
It's less the bang thump wallop (of things flung into plane, not anything else, Masque) - more my concern at being bent into an odd shape for hours.

Maybe it's more the 'new shiny precious' worry, that once it wears off I'd be fine.

note: I will not be cliff jumping, except, perhaps, by accident.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 18-12-12 18:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timbobaggins wrote:
rolling eyes

Roll your eyes at me again and I'll lick 'em.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OliviaDB, I'm 17 stone, my skis are eternally bent into odd shapes, and still spring back Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OliviaDB wrote:
........................ Aa oh god why is there never a consensus about ANYthing post.

Think of skis as handbags.................. Vuitton or Mulberry, Dior or Hermes. Patent or Ostrich. Clutch or Tote?

Think of ski boots as heels................. Chloe flat pumps or Louboutin 6 inches. Belstaff knee length, or Acne cubans?

Tell me if you have ALL (and I mean ALL) of the proprietary cleaners, creams, sprays for your handbags and shoes/boots.

Maybe you need more than one sugardaddy! snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maybe wrap them in bubble wrap to ease your nerves! wink

EDIT: Just to be clear, this isn't a serious suggestion.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
barry wrote:
OliviaDB, I'm 17 stone, ............................... bent into odd shapes, and still spring back Toofy Grin

Damn you Barry!!!!!!!! There's ALWAYS a bigger tool!!!!!!!!

[smutty]I'm only 15 and a half stone, and can't bend mine as much as I used to![/smutty] wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimastaaah wrote:
OliviaDB wrote:
........................ Aa oh god why is there never a consensus about ANYthing post.

Think of skis as handbags.................. Vuitton or Mulberry, Dior or Hermes. Patent or Ostrich. Clutch or Tote?

Think of ski boots as heels................. Chloe flat pumps or Louboutin 6 inches. Belstaff knee length, or Acne cubans?

Tell me if you have ALL (and I mean ALL) of the proprietary cleaners, creams, sprays for your handbags and shoes/boots.

Maybe you need more than one sugardaddy! snowHead

... ah. I'm not that kind of girl. I'm more likely to get excited about a beautiful man bringing me a new graphics card than I am a handbag.
I mean, I love a nice pair of heels, but till they invent a pair I can walk in without whining (thus needing hefty bloke to carry me), I wont swoon at the sight.

so ... by that logic ... once I have skis and poles I need nothing more but to ski and rejoice and wave my limbs in excitement.

(I'm excited.)
(I also didn't sleep much as my ceiling started having water coming through the lights (not uncommon, old lady two floors up does it to me every few months) so I may be more hyper-weird than normal.)

RIGHT. WHO IS COMING SKIING WITH ME NOW ALREADY?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimastaaah wrote:
barry wrote:
OliviaDB, I'm 17 stone, ............................... bent into odd shapes, and still spring back Toofy Grin

Damn you Barry!!!!!!!! There's ALWAYS a bigger tool!!!!!!!!

[smutty]I'm only 15 and a half stone, and can't bend mine as much as I used to![/smutty] wink

I used to be able to do the splits with ease, now I need to warm up first.

oh wait, skis. Back to skis.

Cool - that's reassuring.

Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OliviaDB, Actually mine is adjustable from short and fat to as long as a long one and stiffness is taken care of by the spruce in the tools. However I'm going to need a new one @ 2.3m or I'll need to get out the sewing machine and make one.
You do seem to have a very odd impression of me . . . you lot been talking again? you know I can find you . . .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OliviaDB, you're doing it wrong, you're supposed to enjoy procrastinating over all this stuff (or maybe I'm just a massive nerd. Can probably lose the maybe...).

Soft bags are absolutely fine, stuff your clothes/etc inside too for more padding if you're really worried, and to make the most of your weight allowance.

Remember skis are designed to be hurled down a big snowy, icy, rocky, tree covered mountain at speed, they can take lots of abuse.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Remember skis are designed to be hurled down a big snowy, icy, rocky, tree covered mountain at speed, they can take lots of abuse.

Regrettably most of us, can't Sad
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Regrettably most of us, can't Sad

Yup - pretty sure I'd break before my skis!
latest report
Quote:

OliviaDB, I thought waxing came naturally to women Toofy Grin
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

god no! I can take a semi-pulled punch to the face*, but waxing. That's ... more boring than painful. Takes ages. Which emphasises the pain.

*but I'd rather not.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 18-12-12 18:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
OliviaDB wrote:
Timbobaggins wrote:
rolling eyes

rolling eyes
ski holidays
OliviaDB wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

god no! I can take a semi-pulled punch to the face*, but waxing. That's ... more boring than painful. Takes ages. Which emphasises the pain.

Waxing skis is just another form of ironing.
snow report
Callum001 wrote:

Errr - hate to admit it, but I really do wrap mine in bubble wrap, and my boots - I reckon it stops them getting marked and doesn't weigh anything spoo

I can bear them getting marked in action (well actually I hate it) but to get marked needlessly in transit would drive me mad.

Transport them in a borrowed soft case, never had any problem with them - I do wrap ski pants etc around them for extra padding.
ski holidays
Ohhhh! Waxing skis! My mistake Embarassed
latest report
Ohhhh! Waxing skis! My mistake Embarassed
snow report
OliviaDB wrote:
but waxing takes ages.

Wot, like Indiana Jones in the Brazilian rain forest with a machete Shocked mmmmm luxuriance . . . didn't we have a thread about lady garden topiary Puzzled
snow report
OliviaDB, Your skis/boots are robust enough to survive even if you put them in a carrier bag. Stop fussing. On the other hand, the same may not be true of the bag - the edge of my board sliced a hole in my snowboard bag on a flight from Canada this week.

Doing your own waxing is hardly worth the faff and expense unles you're skiing a whole season and need to do it every week.
ski holidays
I got a €14 bag from Sport Conrad. Unpadded. Does the job. Yep the edges sliced the bag a bit, like what Lizzard said, but a bit of gaffa tape fixes that. Gaffa tape is the best tool in the tool box.

I really ought to get hands on with the waxing, so if anyone wants to buy me a lesson with Spydejon for CHristmas, I'd do that. Otherwise, I'll just pay for the overnight "fartage".
snow report
andy, Everybody know that Gaffa Tape is a Brazillians best friend! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I used to be able to do the splits with ease, now I need to warm up first.

thought you were the ninja? Sifu had me doing splits pretty sharpish when I did kung fu.

Quote:

I'm more likely to get excited about a beautiful man bringing me a new graphics card than I am a handbag

gotta spare Nvidia card you can have Wink

Quote:

Surely those with boots must squash the boots into the skis and if not directly damaging give a point about which other things can be plonked on the skis and bend them oddly?

I will admit that (i) I failed English at school, and only scraped a pass on the retake, despite my sig being true, and (ii) I am attempting t sober up after a litre and a bit of Gluhwein. 1 of these 2 facts is preventing me from comprehending this bit.
My boots and helmet go in a special boot and helmet bag, and my skis go in a ski bag. I wack in some spare gloves and a fleece or something to wedge it all in to place. There is no squashing in any other way.
PS I do like the Transpack boot+helmet bag that I won c/o snowHeads raffle BTW Smile snowHead Cool Gets used all the time for skiing and MTBing.

Quote:

oh wait, skis. Back to skis.

err that's probably a good idea.
snow conditions

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 23-12-12 7:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/s8NGYBrdRvU
latest report
skidoodle wrote:
Callum001 wrote:

Errr - hate to admit it, but I really do wrap mine in bubble wrap, and my boots - I reckon it stops them getting marked and doesn't weigh anything spoo

I can bear them getting marked in action (well actually I hate it) but to get marked needlessly in transit would drive me mad.

Transport them in a borrowed soft case, never had any problem with them - I do wrap ski pants etc around them for extra padding.

Do the bubbles survive the pressure changes in flight? Toofy Grin
latest report
Bubbles do indeed survive pressure changes, and supply lots of fun when popping it when slightly under the influence - though I have pointed out to chums this rather defeats the object of having it on the return flight Very Happy
snow report
Timbobaggins wrote:
OliviaDB wrote:
Timbobaggins wrote:
rolling eyes

rolling eyes

We shall meet. You shall regret that.
ski holidays
Quote:

Do the bubbles survive the pressure changes in flight?

That's possibly the most interesting question I've seen on here ever. Do they?
snow conditions
oh good god (no religious intention) think i will hide my camera and memory card collection wink
snow report
blimey. did I really type all that? was "only" 8 Glühweine too (as far as we can ascertain). Embarassed

Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Do the bubbles survive the pressure changes in flight?

That's possibly the most interesting question I've seen on here ever. Do they?

Not a hope in hell's chance if those bubbles are anywhere within my reach.
ski holidays
Skis - ski bag; boots - boot bag; GOOGLES (check they work with your helmet); SUNGLASSES; neoprene face mask or similar; sun protection including aftersun (way cheaper getting it here and you get a choice); technical ski socks - don't use tube socks.

Other bits to consider

bandana or similar
I take a folded square of roofing felt primarily to sit on in the snow but it comes in useful in all sorts of other odd ways
if you like a specifc tea or coffee - take that
multitool/swiss army knife
electrical adapter/rechargeable batteries/charger (- if needed)
deck of cards (if you are that way inclined)
ziplock bags (good for waterfproofing kit you are carrying)

TBH there are loads of othe things people suggest - e.g. wetwipes - but you should be able to work out that sort of stuff for yourself.
latest report
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Skis - ski bag; boots - boot bag; GOOGLES (check they work with your helmet); SUNGLASSES; neoprene face mask or similar; sun protection including aftersun (way cheaper getting it here and you get a choice); technical ski socks - don't use tube socks.

Other bits to consider

bandana or similar
I take a folded square of roofing felt primarily to sit on in the snow but it comes in useful in all sorts of other odd ways
if you like a specifc tea or coffee - take that
multitool/swiss army knife
electrical adapter/rechargeable batteries/charger (- if needed)
deck of cards (if you are that way inclined)
ziplock bags (good for waterfproofing kit you are carrying)

TBH there are loads of othe things people suggest - e.g. wetwipes - but you should be able to work out that sort of stuff for yourself.

Got goggles ... but the folded cloth thing is genius! GENIUS.
After the Tignes trip, facemask is also a brilliant idea. My snowheads buff thing kept freezing in front of my mouth (heavy breather).

Thanks! Happy
snow report
Quote:

Got goggles

but RattytheSnowRat said
Quote:

GOOGLES

Wink

lol @ roofing felt and cards though.
ski holidays