Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Comedy Goldsmith, problem is flower . . . they start to smell . . . the Club's just a dead horse that doesn't know it's path leads to the glue factory.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OliviaDB, you can only ignore entire sub-forums from a search afaik, but ignoring "The Piste" from a search might be a bit silly.

(I normally just ignore thread like this, unless it's not goldsmith/stanton as the last poster)

edit: might have to resurrect my dodgy piece of Greasemonkey coding (for VBulletin forum s/w), which used to hide all threads which matched certain conditions (like hide everything by a user you'd prefer to ignore). Firefox/Chrome required though, and I've never hacked it for phpBB.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andy wrote:
OliviaDB,

(I normally just ignore thread like this, unless it's not goldsmith/stanton as the last poster)

Which is not very often, so best ignored.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree about ignoring stanton
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I checked the SCGB website this morning and discovered that the minutes of the 2012 annual general meeting have now been published online, within the 'members-only' section of the website.

Index: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/structure/clubstructure.aspx#.UQjLq_J7TTo
Document: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/assets/files/documents/agmmins2012.pdf

Clearly, most of the content is 'privileged' (to adopt a legal adjective) in terms of being the property/interest of those who pay subs to the club. However, as I've mentioned previously, the SCGB has officially adopted the role of "spokesbody of British skiers" and "voice of UK snowsports" so its affairs are relevant to the general British ski population (which it is dedicated to serve). Inasmuch as media and new media affairs concern the competitive scene between the SCGB, snowHeads, Winterhighland, Natives, SCUK (and so on) ... a couple of general points are worth extracting:

- The club has a Media Task Group, which made several recommendations in February 2012 concerning user-generated content and social media (amongst several other points). Clearly those recommendations led to the renaissance of the Club's 'chat forum' (incidentally, I think "chat" is the wrong word for what is often very significant stuff. 'Discussion' is more respectful).

- There's been a significant shake-up in the staffing of media activities within the SCGB. Printing, Ski+Board magazine and digital activities are how combined under the 'communications' division of the Club, headed by Lucy Jennings. According to a profile on the site, Lucy has worked winters in the French and Italian Alps and has also worked a season in New Zealand. She qualified as a BASI instructor at the age of 19. The only photo of Lucy I could find is ...

Other staff who have been given key divisional roles are:

- Simon Henwood, who has looked after the club's resort operations and leaders (formerly reps) for many years, is now in charge of all 'partnerships'. On the website he remains listed as head of resort operations.
- Jonny Cassidy now runs Ski Club Freshtracks (of which he remains general manager, according to the website) and 'leader logistics'.
- Al Morgan is now in charge of member services, snow reports, information, events and the online shop. On the website, Al is also listed as information manager.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
incidentally, I think "chat" is the wrong word for what is often very significant stuff. 'Discussion' is more respectful
but 'tumbleweed' more accurate.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

the SCGB has officially adopted the role of "spokesbody of British skiers" and "voice of UK snowsports"

Perhaps that role has now passed to snowHead s now that Simon Calder has joined our ranks and requested information on insurance issues Very Happy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97105
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
halfhand, he seems to have signed up purely to help him with his research, not because he intends to contribute in any way - all take, take, take. Plus, only wants to hear the bad news stories which doesn't feel very balanced.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

doesn't feel very balanced.

This is snowHeads! the only way to get balance is to visit Bicester Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Putting on a journalistic hat (it's pink: a folded copy of the Financial Times) ... it's interesting to see the editor of Ski+Board now falling within the line management of a digital division of the SCGB. Going back in history - not that far - the editor of the Club's magazine was directly appointed by the elected Council and held an 'ex-officio' position on that committee, reflecting the importance and independence of the role in journalistic terms. In that sense, the editor was independent of the secretary or general manager of the Club. That kind of independence, in an earlier era, was the basis on which Arnold Lunn worked.

Sir Arnold Lunn, inventor of slalom ski racing. He is holding a 'slalom onion'. The first slalom course in the world was set up by Lunn in Murren in 1922. Lunn edited the SCGB's publications.
Photo copyright Murren Tourist Office.

This may be of zero interest to most people, but independent decision-making is the basis on which most editors work. Of course, in the new online world the role of editors is diminished, though the truth needs to emerge from all the anarchy, chaos, fun, facts and falsehoods.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller wrote:
halfhand, he seems to have signed up purely to help him with his research, not because he intends to contribute in any way - all take, take, take. Plus, only wants to hear the bad news stories which doesn't feel very balanced.

It's even worse than that, Swiller. He only wants bad news stories about travel insurance. Somebody should take him out for a damn good lunch and put a stop to this negative nonsense.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Document: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/assets/files/documents/agmmins2012.pdf
Interesting stuff. Not sure they intended it to be open to non members but it is.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, I think snowHeads rather exposed their lack of IT ability/awareness when they started this thread Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A slight pick-up in SCGB forum activity yesterday: 7 postings from 6 posters. However, this level of traffic (which mustn't fall below 25 postings per 24 hours) continues to render all postings illegal under the 4% rule. SCGB member Len Owens has bravely ignored the rule this morning to post the following:

Len Owens wrote:
Why has the club down graded my skiing standard?

The issue of skiing standards defined for Freshtracks holidays has dominated the forum since it publicly reopened in mid-December:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/The-Ski-Club?discussionID=14146#.UQj9i_J7TTo

This was the official position given by Jonny Cassidy, the SCGB's general manager of Freshtracks, on 3 January:

Jonny Cassidy wrote:
Just to add clarification, the grading system. Cards are given out to members at the end of the holiday with the idea that the member should be aware of which holidays they are able to book in the future. As most holidays are open to more than one grade, we have shown this on the card as Blue/Red, Red/Silver etc. If for example, a member is graded Red, Red+ or Red/Silver they will be eligible to go on a Red/Silver holiday but not a Silver/Purple holiday. Ideally when the cards are given out, there should be a verbal explanation by the Leader and the specific grade given if required. The Leader records the specific grade that we update in the database so the new grade is shown online where applicable. This can take some time after returning from the holiday however we do try to have this updated within a week or so. I am aware that members on the Season Start Up holiday probably didn’t have the chance to speak to Dave this year as he had to leave resort earlier than usual however you would usually have the opportunity to discuss this in resort.

I must admit that I'm out of touch with this aspect of the Club's operations. At the time I took the Club's tests - bronze and silver - in the 1960s, there were three grades: bronze, silver and gold (as in Olympic medals, though not necessarily comparable). The testing at that time - and therefore any regrading - was done by SCGB reps themselves, who ran the tests at the end of each skiing week (with the exception of gold, which was a rare award for a very high level of skiing). It seems there's now a blue, red and purple, plus combinations of each, but I'm not sure when these came in.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

It seems there's now a blue, red and purple, plus combinations of each

which as every toddler knows forms a nice slushy brown....
latest report
Quote:

the SCGB has officially adopted the role of "spokesbody of British skiers" and "voice of UK snowsports"

I thought the latter was UK Snowsports ?
latest report
thirty06 wrote:
Quote:

This bollox is trotted out ad nauseum on Snowheads, can anyone post a link to where SCGB actually claim this?
ski holidays
On the rocks, It's in a 'Super Secret Place' . . . under the biscuit tin in the Tea Club larder.

All dying entities cling to their lost glories. The SCGB is just 'sheltered accommodation' for "Angry of Tumbridge Wengen" and CG is the old man on the corner wearing corduroy knee britches that always smell a bit of wee and scribbling furiously on the back of a Kendal's Mint Cake wrapper and mumbling to himself.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 30-01-13 13:58; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, way more colours than that - and all easily understandable if you look at the freshtracks site.

No system is perfect - but if you are putting skiers together on holidays where you are trying to push them a bit and have limited teachers/mountain guides - you need some sort of grading. Can get a bit sad - and people have difficulty understanding why they have been downgraded.
snow report
On the rocks wrote:
This bollox is trotted out ad nauseum on Snowheads, can anyone post a link to where SCGB actually claim this?

On the rocks, those two quotes are directly from official SCGB documents. The first is a 1995 mission statement, in the annual report. The full quote:

Ski Club of Great Britain wrote:
The Club will also safeguard and enhance its position as the independent spokesbody for British recreational skiers.

The second 'voice of UK snowsports' quote is from a much more recent communications policy statement. I'll check the reference on that and come back to you.
ski holidays
From a CRM point of view, downgrading customers can never be a good idea, whatever the reason. If it were the SCUSofA, everybody would be regularly upgraded and made to feel good about themselves and warm towards their club. From what I hear, the SH bashes involve a lot of group sliding but no mention of labelling (always read the label) and they seem to breeze along v well - you might call it natural selection. Must admit, I thought all that bronze, silver, gold stuff had died out.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith19 years ago!!! Maybe its time for you to move on and join us all in the 21st century?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 30-01-13 14:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Bode Swiller, I'm regularly labeled 'tosser' . . . I think that's summat to do with my skiing.
snow report
How come Americans can't ski, then?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, The SCGB grading system works very well on instructional or guided trips. I had a great time and progressed greatly on a recent SCGB off piste course just because the skill level in the group was so even, everybody pushed and rewarded to a similar extent. I also really enjoyed the PSB in December because I could ski with different folk at different ability levels on each day.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 30-01-13 14:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Masque, see, you'd be relatively easy to upgrade from there. Next stage is Twit. You badge is in the post.
snow report
On the rocks wrote:
Bode Swiller, The SCGB grading system works very well on instructional or guided trips. I had a great time and progressed greatly on a recent SCGB off piste course recently just because the skill level in the group was so even, everybody pushed and rewarded to a similar extent. I also really enjoyed the PSB in December because I could ski with different folk at different ability levels on each day.
But you can arrive at your own well-matched group without needing the labelling (always read the label).
ski holidays
Bode Swiller,
sometimes, but as a bash newbie I found I only got to know and link up with (roughly) similarly able skiers half way through the week
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the rocks wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith19 years ago!!! Maybe its time for you to move on and join us all in the 21st century?

I assume from what you've said above that you're an SCGB member. This is what our club says, today, on our behalf, 30 Jan 2013:

The Ski Club of Great Britain is the largest snowsports Club in the UK with over 33,000 members. We are the voice of recreational snowsports ...

Source: What is the Ski Club of Great Britain?
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/presscentre/faqs.aspx#.UQkfmfJ7TTo

You're clearly trying to portray me as some sort of dinosaur or fossil. You've got some surprises in store, matey.
snow report
On the rocks wrote:
thirty06 wrote:
Quote:

Link no, but that's exactly the line the club took with me on the phone in past discussions about the accuracy (or rather lack of) with regards to their reports for the five Scottish Snowsport Areas - this is something that has now rumbled on since 2002 and the Club have proved incapable of solving the problems.
snow report
Winterhighland wrote:
... that's exactly the line the club took with me on the phone in past discussions about the accuracy (or rather lack of) with regards to their reports for the five Scottish Snowsport Areas - this is something that has now rumbled on since 2002 and the Club have proved incapable of solving the problems.

Winterhighland, I wasn't aware that your communications with the SCGB re. Scottish snow reporting went back 11 years. I have only been looking into this for 2-3 years, and have communicated with the Club ad nauseam about inaccuracies and apparent misrepresentations. The examples earlier in this thread (particularly concerning the claimed closure of Cairngorm last weekend) are clear enough. I think this one can be nailed fairly rapidly now.

This is what Alyn Morgan, the SCGB's head of information* stated on 26 November 2010 (Ski Club TV Snowcast) ...

Alyn Morgan wrote:
“What makes the Ski Club’s snow reports different is that it’s not just automated data from the resorts – we have a team that gathers and checks the information every day. This is how we can deliver unbiased and accurate snow reports to you.”

... and on 3 May 2012 (SCGB Facebook page), in response to a query from a SCGB member about Scottish snow reports ...

Alyn Morgan wrote:
"Regarding depths, then there are no official depths available from the Scottish resorts so we aim to report representative depths as it states in our site. We do this through various means including talking to skiers in Scotland as well as people within the ski industry who are in Scotland."

A very similar explanation has been given to me by Alyn Morgan, but the Club has declined to say who these skiers are, or who these members of the ski industry are (no person or agency has ever identified itself as a source for SCGB Scottish snow depth figures). It is quite clear that these people are not on the mountains measuring the snow, because the snow measurements differ from those collected by the Scottish Avalanche Information Service (SAIS), or those sometimes taken by Winterhighland or estimated by the ski area operators themselves.

I am emailing Alyn Morgan, in the expectation that he can gain obtain permission to reply directly to this thread and set out the facts - which should be possible in a couple of sentences.

Further background on this, on these two Winterhighland threads:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,142607
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,148384

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* and now head of member services, events and the online shop, according to the 2012 AGM minutes)
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Masque, see, you'd be relatively easy to upgrade from there. Next stage is Twit. You badge is in the post.
You got the spelling right there Puzzled
snow conditions
Masque, I see Tosser and Tw4t as being fairly interchangeable (like BASI and CSIA). I don't really care as long as the resulting chart of skiing ability is unfathomably complicated and likely to lead to arguments.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I think you're not applying the Tea Club of Great Britain's parameters . . . I could be an incompetent tosser and rise to accomplished t**t . . . a substantial change, you'll agree?
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing
snow report
I'm sure a pink/purple+ was missing there
snow conditions
Masque, no, sacre bleu, listen, you can either be an off-piste tosser, an on-piste tosser or a total tw4t. And it's the rep that decides.
latest report
Quote:

You're clearly trying to portray me as some sort of dinosaur or fossil.

I was speaking to a former employer of yours just the other day. The mere fact that you are his former employee indicates that you most definitely must be a fossilised dinosaur. Laughing
latest report
Lizzard, the HMRC will confirm to you - with my consent - that I haven't had an employer between 1976 and 2008 (32 years). Since the 2008 employer is my current employer, there's only one person you could have spoken to, since all the previous employers are now dead.

You're either a clown, a bullshitter, or you communicate with the dead.

[Edit: that was an authentic Comedy Goldsmith posting, using the wrong username. We apologise for any confusion]
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

I assume from what you've said above that you're an SCGB member. This is what our club says, today, on our behalf, 30 Jan 2013:

The Ski Club of Great Britain is the largest snowsports Club in the UK with over 33,000 members. We are the voice of recreational snowsports ...

Thanks for digging that out and proving me wrong, however that assertion does not seem to be as prominant as it once was and is maybe part of the rearguard to try and maintain some advertising income? FWIW I spend as much time promoting Snowheads on my SCGB trips (where surprisingly most members arn't even aware of the SCGB forum let alone use it) as I seem to be sticking up for the better aspects of SCGB on here. I'm often the first to agree that the SCGB has many faults but I am seeing things improve as they drag themselves (some more reluctantly than others) into the 21st century, and well worth the perseverence for loads of brilliant skiing I have enjoyed with them

Quote:
You're clearly trying to portray me as some sort of dinosaur or fossil. You've got some surprises in store, matey.

I really look forward to it and an opportunity to bely the impression one gets by only knowing you through your posting record of apparently just being obsessed with the history of the SCGB.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy