Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Rosey44 wrote:
Quote:

never seen them come up in my online ski searches

Not sure what you're searching for, but I've just googled 'Snow Reports' and 'Ski News' and in both searches the Ski Club was the second result. Not paid, but organic search.

I wouldn't normally google anything so generic - I might have googled 'snow report/weather for x resort' once years ago, but once I have obtained a source years ago I would generally stick to it. I'll generally google specific questions such as "snow conditions for Belle Plagne in April" for example. To which ski club don't appear. Now, to be clear, I'm not saying they should do. I'm just saying they are not on my radar, in anything ski related that I do, so I'm never going to know what they do or whether they are relevant to me.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gerry wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Valkyrie wrote:
@Gerry like @Hurtle I've got no interest in the Ski Club, but if I had then your contributions here would certainly put me off joining. I'm telling you this just for information, I don't expect you to change as you seem incapable of accepting feedback.

I would never judge any large group of people (25,000 in the case of the Ski Club) on the basis of one individual from that group. If you do then that’s a problem your have.

Bit of a naive thing to say.

I'm not so naive as to imagine people don't think like that, it's just I don't personally do that. For example, I don't think that every bloke who drives X make of car is a wanker, nor do I think that all Dutch people think like Stanton. People who do think like that are the very people I don't want to know.

And that's good, unfortunately a lot of people do and a lot of time (like you) they don't think they do. Not in an obvious way like you've stated. But if someone has one bad experience of something, sometimes that will put them off doing it again. Even if it would have turned out that it was just a one-off. If you've never done that, then I applaud that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LaForet wrote:
'I really love the Rep/Leader idea and elevate to god-like position those who perform this role.'

All the reps I've come across have been of a type: failed public schoolboys with a plummy accent and ingrained sense of entitlement whose pitch is along the lines of 'of course, anyone discerning would want to be a member, yah?' and a total inability to justify the cost/benefit of membership. I rejected joining when I was 35 and in the intervening 30 years, whenever I've revisited SCGB, I have seen nothing to change this. If anything, the market has moved on and I see even less benefits for the cost of membership in the Internet age.

And if you can't make a succinct case after 132 pages of posting, then I'd say the odds are that the proposition is no longer convincing.

When I did the Reps course there was a cross section of society. When I joined in 1989 after skiing with a rep, the rep in question was just an ordinary and friendly bloke. What is a 'failed public schoolboy' anyway? How did you find out where they were all educated? The more some of you blame the Club for your not wanting to join and further explain your reasoning which seems to be some antiquated form of inverted snobbery in your case, the more I think that I personally wouldn't want to have you in anyway.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Valkyrie wrote:
@Gerry like @Hurtle I've got no interest in the Ski Club, but if I had then your contributions here would certainly put me off joining. I'm telling you this just for information, I don't expect you to change as you seem incapable of accepting feedback.

I would never judge any large group of people (25,000 in the case of the Ski Club) on the basis of one individual from that group. If you do then that’s a problem your have.

Bit of a naive thing to say.

I'm not so naive as to imagine people don't think like that, it's just I don't personally do that. For example, I don't think that every bloke who drives X make of car is a wanker, nor do I think that all Dutch people think like Stanton. People who do think like that are the very people I don't want to know.

And that's good, unfortunately a lot of people do and a lot of time (like you) they don't think they do. Not in an obvious way like you've stated. But if someone has one bad experience of something, sometimes that will put them off doing it again. Even if it would have turned out that it was just a one-off. If you've never done that, then I applaud that.

Like me? Give an example. There are loads of snowHeads, in my experience, some of them are wankers, most of them are not.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LaForet,
Quote:

All the reps I've come across have been of a type: failed public schoolboys with a plummy accent and ingrained sense of entitlement whose pitch is along the lines of 'of course, anyone discerning would want to be a member, yah?' and a total inability to justify the cost/benefit of membership.

That is a really stupid generalisation, apart from being completely untrue.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gerry,
Quote:

When I did the Reps course there was a cross section of society. When I joined in 1989 after skiing with a rep, the rep in question was just an ordinary and friendly bloke. What is a 'failed public schoolboy' anyway? How did you find out where they were all educated? The more some of you blame the Club for your not wanting to join and further explain your reasoning which seems to be some antiquated form of inverted snobbery in your case, the more I think that I personally wouldn't want to have you in anyway.

For once I totally agree with you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gerry, I think you've summed it up nicely. How do you know they are w*nkers? You've based it on a limited amount of interactions you've had with them. They might actually be very nice people, but all you can do is base your opinion on the knowledge and evidence that you have to hand at the time. I'm not saying that's bad - it's just human nature.

Hence you can't really have a go at Valkyrie if he's based his opinion on the only information he has to hand at that time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Handy Turnip wrote:
@Gerry, I think you've summed it up nicely. How do you know they are w*nkers? You've based it on a limited amount of interactions you've had with them. They might actually be very nice people, but all you can do is base your opinion on the knowledge and evidence that you have to hand at the time. I'm not saying that's bad - it's just human nature.

Hence you can't really have a go at Valkyrie if he's based his opinion on the only information he has to hand at that time.

I'm not judging a larger group of people to which they belong solely on my experience of them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You're right - you're not judging a group of people based on your experiences with 0.004% of the population. You're judging people based on a small amount of interactions with them (say 0.004% of their total interactions with people). Essentially the same.

Unless anyone can show they've run a t-test to demonstrate that their findings are robust to a 95% confidence interval, then it's all based on assumptions however way you want to cut it.

Anyway, no doubt this conversation could bounce backwards and forwards to no end, which isn't particulary productive for anyone.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Handy Turnip wrote:
You're right - you're not judging a group of people based on your experiences with 0.004% of the population. You're judging people based on a small amount of interactions with them (say 0.004% of their total interactions with people). Essentially the same.

Not the same at all. Negatively judging an individual based no the rubbish they spout isn't the same as negatively judging a large group (ethnic, religious, race etc) based solely on the actions of one member.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Effectively it is, unless you’ve got a large enough sample of interactions that is robust enough to prove statistically that the interactions you’ve had are indeed representative of their true character. And to be fair you might have, I don’t know.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
See, my comment was a test. To see what the reactions would be. Of course any individual experience isn't generic. The response I was looking for was along the lines of

"LaForet - I'm sorry that your experience with SCGB wasn't a good one, but it was a while ago and I'd like to think that in the intervening time we've diversified and expanded our Rep profile to be more professional and diverse. And while in your particular case, our offerings don't necessarily look attractive, they certainly do for many other members. So all I'd ask is that people reading the forum go to our website and look objectively at what's on offer. For some, I daresay it won't be a good match, but for others it will. And there's nothing like actual experience: if after a season as a member it's still not for you, then you can leave, or perhaps work with us to change what needs to be changed ..."

What I got was

'inverted snobbery',
'I personally wouldn't want to have you in anyway'
'really stupid'
and so on.

If these comments are from members, then it perhaps explains why the SCGB doesn't have the best of public profiles and really doesn't go very far to persuade me that I'm wrong or that I should take another look. If they are from representatives of the Club then they are unprofessional and counterproductive.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LaForet wrote:
See, my comment was a test. To see what the reactions would be. Of course any individual experience isn't generic. The response I was looking for was along the lines of

"LaForet - I'm sorry that your experience with SCGB wasn't a good one, but it was a while ago and I'd like to think that in the intervening time we've diversified and expanded our Rep profile to be more professional and diverse. And while in your particular case, our offerings don't necessarily look attractive, they certainly do for many other members. So all I'd ask is that people reading the forum go to our website and look objectively at what's on offer. For some, I daresay it won't be a good match, but for others it will. And there's nothing like actual experience: if after a season as a member it's still not for you, then you can leave, or perhaps work with us to change what needs to be changed ..."

What I got was

'inverted snobbery',
'I personally wouldn't want to have you in anyway'
'really stupid'
and so on.

If these comments are from members, then it perhaps explains why the SCGB doesn't have the best of public profiles and really doesn't go very far to persuade me that I'm wrong or that I should take another look. If they are from representatives of the Club then they are unprofessional and counterproductive.

If you spout a load of outdated inverted snobbery then right thinking people are going to judge you negatively. Yet you expect to get your arse licked and that's a bit entitled of you, imo. But to be clear, had you gone directly to the Club with your original statement then the response would have been along the lines of the one you drafted. The staff are paid and trained to deal with idiots like the one you simulated.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, are we supposed to congratulate you on a successful troll, or what? (I'm not a member of the Ski Club, btw, although I was for some years. )
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gerry,
Quote:

If you spout a load of outdated inverted snobbery then right thinking people are going to judge you negatively. Yet you expect to get your back bottom licked and that's a bit entitled of you, imo. But to be clear, had you gone directly to the Club with your original statement then the response would have been along the lines of the one you drafted. The staff are paid and trained to deal with idiots like the one you simulated.
That's another good response. Are you feeling OK? Shocked
snow conditions
Rosey44 wrote:
Quote:

never seen them come up in my online ski searches

Not sure what you're searching for, but I've just googled 'Snow Reports' and 'Ski News' and in both searches the Ski Club was the second result. Not paid, but organic search.

Ditto, skeeb was on the front page at least. However the search for: middle england gaper fest and boring ski discussion
brought up Snowheads as the top results.

I don't know if that is significant, or not.
ski holidays
Davina Goldballs wrote:
Let's remember that the Skeeb also has its 'Line-S' division going ...

https://www.line-s.co.uk/

Quote:
With over 20,000 members, we are the the largest student snowsports club in the UK.
Proudly part of the Ski Club of Great Britain

And, further down the page ...

Quote:
Started in 1903, the Ski Club of Great Britain is the oldest and largest organisation of its sort in the world, with over 28,000 members.

Line-S is now 4 years old (founded 2015) and the same questions continue:

1. Are Line-S members (paying no subscription fee?) also members of the SCGB?
2. Do Line-S members (students) ever graduate?
3. When they graduate, do they cease to become Line-S members?
4. How many Line-S members have converted to become conventional SCGB members?

[that's enough questions - Ed.]

From memory:

1. Line-S is a free tier of Ski Club membership. They don't get to vote at the AGM.

2. Only if they pass their finals.

3. Yes.

4. I have no idea. This is (as I understood things in 2015 anyway) a long-term initiative and the expectation was that people would come back to the Club later in life after establishing careers etc.
snow report
davidof wrote:
...However the search for: middle england gaper fest ...

I don't know if that is significant, or not.

It is a good reminder to reduce my online footprint Little Angel
latest report
@davidof,
Quote:

However the search for: middle england gaper fest and boring ski discussion

Does that make you feel at home? Or at least home from home. Or something.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:

Does that make you feel at home? Or at least home from home. Or something.

well not being middle england, not so much I'm afraid. I've never understood what a "gaper fest" is, something from our friends at TGR I think. Maybe boring ski discussion is more fitting.
snow report
@davidof, I think it's supposed not to be cool to wear sunnies with a helmet and it's even less cool to have a gap (hence gaper) between the top of your goggles and your helmet; a person who is guilty of one or both of these crimes is a gaper and therefore very uncool. But you knew that really, didn't you? (Personally I'm only guilty of the first, my goggles fit pretty well when I'm wearing them.)
Your ski discussion isn't boring.
I think it's OK here really.
ski holidays
Following the departure of Darren Neylon (CEO from 13 Mar 2018 to 15 May 2019) ...

... the Ski Club of Great Britain is once again advertising the position of Chief Executive.

https://www.facebook.com/TheSkiClub/posts/10157500912463109

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/jobs/chief-executive-officer-vacancy

Quote:
The Ski Club is the largest and oldest snowsports club in the UK and the largest in the world ...

... The new appointee will follow in the footsteps of a successful CEO who has led a significant transformation of the business in the last 12 months and paved the way for further growth and expansion ...

... Whilst relatively small in size, The Ski Club is highly influential, having affiliations with over 2,000 organisations, and working very closely with other sporting bodies in the UK and overseas."

The same recruitment consultants as last time - Warren Partners - have been appointed to find the new person.
snow conditions
"Are you going to apply for the job then David?"

http://youtube.com/v/I3fF91jGdPM
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
I think it's supposed not to be cool to wear sunnies with a helmet and it's even less cool to have a gap (hence gaper) between the top of your goggles and your helmet;

a strange tan line is sub-optimal (as the Americans would say) but I can't see it really being that important either.

I wouldn't think there are too many gapers on Snowheads either, given what people spend on gear here.
latest report
thegnomewithnoname wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/I3fF91jGdPM

He could be just what you guys need.
But just look at Man Utd; the team are unmanageable. Too well paid, too comfy, no accountability, targets or spark, sunk to perennial underachievers. Can't just blame toxic players...it's the system that's created them. They need a complete clear-out, but too shameless to admit it. So they'll stay below top5 for a decade and staff will keep taking the easy money til retirement, talk bollox til they find something more interesting (like CEO did).

Or hire Mourinho to fix you up; he might be cheaper, less arrogant n high handed than DG in managerial style. wink
snow conditions
Skipping back 3 pages to revisit some breaking news of 24 April ...

Davina Goldballs wrote:
The Ski Club of GB has just announced the resignation of its chief executive Darren Neylon, who joined the organisation in March 2018.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1734907723278774/

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2019/04/resignation-of-darren-neylon-chief-executive-officer

... it's notable that the Skeeb continues to advertise for a new CEO 2 months later ...

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/jobs/chief-executive-officer-vacancy

... and with no closing date for applications.

Current job offers also include 'Head of Operations' and 'Operations Executive' ...

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/jobs

As previously reported by the Club, Ian Holt (SCGB treasurer) is currently the CEO but - interestingly - this is not expressed officially in an 'acting' capacity ... at least as described on the Club's staff listing ...

Quote:
SKI CLUB STAFF
Chief Executive Officer
Ian Holt

Source: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/ski-club-council-and-staff

If the Club is serious about hiring a new CEO there is presumably a deadline by which applicants must be short-listed and then interviewed. But I wouldn't claim to be an expert in this field.

No
snow conditions
Davina Goldballs wrote:
...I wouldn't claim to be an expert in this field.

That's never stopped you spouting crap before.

Doubt he'd be qualified unless CEO is code for part time theater usher.
snow report
adithorp wrote:
Davina Goldballs wrote:

Chief Excrement Originator?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Davina Goldballs wrote:

No
"Do you quite like that ubrain chap?
Do you like what he's done with that Snowheads of his?"

adithorp wrote:
Davina Goldballs wrote:

C**tish Entrance Officiator ?
snow report
Midsummer update on

SCGB membership vis-a-vis snowHeads membership

SCGB membership

Last August, the picture was a bit confusing ...

Davina Goldballs wrote:
The SCGB is currently publishing 3 different membership figures simultaneously ...

Quote:
around 27,000 members

Source [recruitment bulletin for members to join the Club's elected Council]:
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2018/08/become-a-ski-club-council-member

Quote:
over 28,000 members

Source ['About the Ski Club']:
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club

Quote:
over 30,000 members

Source [LinkedIn recruitment ad. for new accountant]:
https://uk.linkedin.com/jobs/view/accountant-at-ski-club-of-great-britain-742420946

My hunch is that neither of those figures is correct, and that the true figure is significantly lower than 27,000 ... but let's see if the new accountant can count!
By (recent) tradition, the SCGB will publish a membership figure in its 2018 annual report, due in the autumn, but (as I understand it) this will not form part of the audited accounts of the Club (if the past is anything to go by).

This June - 2019 - the 'About the Ski Club' page is again quoting an "over 28,000" figure:
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club

NB. The "over 28,000" figure has been cited in various SCGB press releases etc. since 2016, as explained here:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=5000#3243059

The SCGB's page on LinkedIn is again saying "over 30,000":
https://www.linkedin.com/company/ski-club-of-great-britain

In addition (?) there's the Line-S student division of the SCGB ...
https://www.line-s.co.uk/

... which says ...
Quote:
With over 20,000 members, we are the the largest student snowsports club in the UK.

It remains unclear how those members are replaced when students graduate, or how many Line-S members (believed to be on free memberships) convert to paid SCGB subscriptions.

snowHeads membership

The only membership figure quoted by this site is the cumulative number of "registered snowHheads" clocked on the home page. Currently:

Quote:
There are 55710 registered snowHeads

There was a discussion of what that figure might mean in reality. This is what achilles said:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=5040#3258208

achilles wrote:
@Davina Goldballs, the sH membership list is ~ 54K. Now as you know, some are sock puppets - others will have left the scene long ago. It is difficult to do a straight like for like comparison between the two organisations, since financial support of sHs is voluntary, in contrast to the SCGB, where a subscription for membership is required. Even so, my guess is that the SCGB are being a little over optimistic in their claim.

Of course, what really matters is the number of active/engaged people in any organisation. As pointed out last year, this thread attracts about 76 views per post. Some other posts/topics would have a higher hit rate ... and others much lower (Apres Zone posts/threads typically run at 10-15 engaged viewers).
The number of different people going on sH bashes would be another figure - presumably a few hundred each winter.

[end of update]
snow report
Davina Goldballs wrote:
this thread attracts about 76 views per post.

but that might be you clicking refresh 75x and my view 75+1 = 76

it doesn't really break it down very much more than that.
ski holidays
comfy chair at the ready
snow report
davidof wrote:
Davina Goldballs wrote:

I just clicked refresh another 25 times because I was bored at work. Does that help?
snow report
SKI CLUB GB AXES ITS LEADING SERVICE

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148065#3420834
https://www.planetski.eu/news/11899
snow conditions
jellylegs wrote:
davidof wrote:
Davina Goldballs wrote:

I just clicked refresh another 25 times because I was bored at work. Does that help?

you'll kill the hamsters !
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
'....All the reps I've come across have been of a type: failed public schoolboys with a plummy accent and ingrained sense of entitlement whose pitch is along the lines of 'of course, anyone discerning would want to be a member, yah?' ......

You seem to have a very limited knowledge of SCGB leaders. For a start, a couple of the best reps I skied with were women not ex-schoolboys; they were extremely good skiers, and I struggle to imagine them failing at anything. Of the blokes I skied with, there were a wide social variety. The last rep I skied with was a postman - a more than competent skier, but not posh. And if you think Gerry is posh, you have never met him.
ski holidays
PlanetSki reported the latest developments at the SCGB on 2 July ...

Quote:

It's former CEO, Darren Neylon, resigned at the end of April after just over a year in the job.
A search for his successor is underway and we understand the first round of interviews took place last week.

If the first round of interviews took place in week commencing 24 June, it seems odd that the job's still being advertised by the Club:

Quote:
The Ski Club is the largest and oldest snowsports club in the UK and the largest in the world. Established 115 years ago, the Club's founding mission and values remain at its core today: to be relevant to skiers and snowboarders at all levels, supporting grassroots skiing and athletes alike.

To grow and be sustainable there is a constant need for The Ski Club to 'refresh' and appeal to new audiences by driving innovation and seizing new commercial opportunities. Examples of recent successes include the introduction of ski insurance packages, a dedicated student website and membership package, and the acquisition of Mountain Tracks, a niche tour operator. All have enhanced the Club’s offering and generated new revenue streams, complementing the established member benefits including on-snow leading activities in 30 resorts worldwide and club holidays.

Looking ahead, the Club is ambitious to continue to raise its profile both in the UK and internationally. The new appointee will follow in the footsteps of a successful CEO who has led a significant transformation of the business in the last 12 months and paved the way for further growth and expansion.
latest report
Davina Goldballs wrote:
If the first round of interviews took place in week commencing 24 June, it seems odd that the job's still being advertised by the Club:

Maybe they haven't found anyone yet? rolling eyes
latest report
Or they are just poor at keeping website content current, its not unknown especially when HR have anything to do with providing updates. .
ski holidays
10 days later ... 18 July ...

It seems that the SCGB CEO job (along with 3 others) remains on offer ...
... despite (as above) a short-listing taking place in the week of 24 June. Perhaps martinm (above) is correct that a good candidate hasn't yet materialised.

There are also vacancies (announced today) on the SCGB's governing Council ...
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2019/07/become-a-ski-club-council-member

Quote:
Contribute to governing the Ski Club: consider joining Council, the non-executive Board.
Proposals are invited from individuals to join Council as an Elected Council Member at the next AGM in November. Generally two Elected Council Members step down every year, creating two vacancies.

The non-executive Council provides a critical, fundamental function to support and ensure the long-term survival, stability and growth of the Ski Club.

The AGM is on 14 November ...
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/events/2019/11/annual-general-meeting-2019

... and SCGB members will want an update on the Club's 'strategic plan', designed to double membership by 2021 ...
https://issuu.com/skiclub/docs/report___accounts_18/6?ff&e=12827994/68053478 [page 3]
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy