Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
--

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-01-13 0:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might be right DG, or you might just be a bit paranoid.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
--

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 11-01-13 0:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
> There's all to play for.

or not, after 15 years of widespread web use I suspect those that want to connect have, by and large, connected, and the other 97% of British skiers are not the slightest bit interested.

> "working to establish the Ski Club as the source for snowsports news."

why? Are they a newspaper? Do they have journalists on the ground or at the least access to press news feeds?

The ski club would do better to focus on stuff that could be useful to club members, like any other club, that is if they really are a club and just run for the benefit of a few people.

Let's look at this claim.

We should start, imo, by dividing the club into subsets.

1. The Leaders.
2. The executive.
3. The members.

Let's now look at the deal for each subset:

1. They aren't exactly inundated with applications for this. Allowances that fail to cover all expenses, horrible accommodation, skiing at a level well below their ability most of the time and the cost of retraining etc...any takers? 250 out of 1 million UK skiers.

2. I would imagine that the employees get the market rate as far as pay goes. Any takers? 30+ employees.

3. Not forced to join and each get something out of it for their money. Any takers? 30k out of 1 million.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Silly me, I left a subset out:

4. Comedy Goldsmith.

He can explain, himself, what he gets out of it, if anything. NehNeh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
good day.

And I'm told - by a SCGB director - that I have a mental health problem!

Southern Counties Gas Board? Schnauzer Club of GB? And I thought you were all electric in your household and had been banned from keeping dogs. Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PJSki wrote:

I imagine CST did ok during her reign but the club didn't exactly progress under her stewardship.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Well I obviously don't agree with that statement but what appears, to some, on the face of it, an obsession with how the ski club is run might make them think that. Most people would have jacked it all in and taken up fishing, or something. There is a thin line between genius and madness, after all.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
PJSki wrote:

I imagine CST did ok during her reign but the club didn't exactly progress under her stewardship.

Did it really not progress? Seems to me that the club became much more inclusive due to her and attained the highest membership in its history while she was CEO. Also, where's the evidence that she was receiving compensation beyond what she was worth?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Well I obviously don't agree with that statement but what appears, to some, on the face of it, an obsession with how the ski club is run might make them think that. Most people would have jacked it all in and taken up fishing, or something. There is a thin line between genius and madness, after all.

davidof, Amen to that!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PJSki wrote:
davidof wrote:
PJSki wrote:

Did it really not progress? Seems to me that the club became much more inclusive due to her and attained the highest membership in its history while she was CEO. Also, where's the evidence that she was receiving compensation beyond what she was worth?

They seem to be languishing in the 30k membership figure and hitting just a small percentage of the UK skier market, but as I commented to DG earlier, maybe that is about the limit given the fairly high cost of membership.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
having been a member of scgb and a snowhead Im finding it really hard to see what the angle is ...... I log on to the sh forum and it keeps cropping up re the scgb website ??? It keeps getting commented on by someone who supposedly doesnt take all the indignations from the scgb personally, some one who was a scgb member a long time ago but isnt anymore, due to lack of interest or satisfaction from their service (i dont know) , but yet spends an inordinate amount of time analysing their business module and then trawling back through historical data of their forum etc and posting statistics that mean what ???? ..... Not, being funny but I dont get it .... the only thing I can suggest is that comedy goldsmith change your name to Goldsmith as I am yet to find anything comical in your postings..... Oh, and maybe going skiing might help .......

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 1-01-13 23:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi LimeGreen

normally a mod should shunt this topic into a special "ski club" decontamination zone. No idea why they have not done so this time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PJSki wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
good day.

Southern Counties Gas Board? Schnauzer Club of GB? And I thought you were all electric in your household and had been banned from keeping dogs. Laughing

Respect for schnauzers, please.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Edit because I don't want to be taken the wrong way:

DG, I don't understand what all this is about or why it is important to you, but I won't discount the possibility that you are a genius and I am missing something important wink

What I would be interested in is how some of those things went over the holiday season that you posted about as occurring on the Southbank - some of the activities sounded really interesting. Perhaps you could post about those in Apres?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 2-01-13 0:16; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Hey Davidof , Here's hoping ......
snow report
I'm pleased to be a paid up member of Snowheads and SCGB, I have enjoyed some brilliant skiing and met made many new friends through both groups. This thread has become a pitiful and spiteful embarrassment to all concerned Sad
snow conditions
Megamum, He wants el hen's job, does he? And he really thinks he is in the running?

There's a fine line between stupidity and madness.
snow conditions
Megamum .... Is there a key that I need to understand that will make me realise the man has pure genius? ...... Errr, .........Naaah
ski holidays
On the rocks, +1
ski holidays
Ok I will bite. What the hell is this thread all about? I've read the last 2 pages and I'm clueless?
snow report
On the rocks wrote:
I'm pleased to be a paid up member of Snowheads and SCGB, I have enjoyed some brilliant skiing and met made many new friends through both groups. This thread has become a pitiful and spiteful embarrassment to all concerned Sad

Ditto.. I'm a member of both, and this thread is putting me off SH, not because I'm especially pro-SCGB, but the venomous, obsessive narrow-mindedness that seems to be in evidence.
snow report
feef wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

Ditto.. I'm a member of both, and this thread is putting me off SH, not because I'm especially pro-SCGB, but the venomous, obsessive narrow-mindedness that seems to be in evidence.

Ditto. I'm new around here, and have been absolutely astonished by the sniping at the SCGB, to the extent that I considered not staying around these parts, especially after the far from welcoming response I got to my first post. However, I've realised that it seems to be a small number of SHs who have an issue with SCGB, mostly due to something that happened years ago. For those who are SCGB members, let's see if the new Chief Exec can move things forwards; for the rest, I'm not sure why you're bothered by it? Confused
latest report
--

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 11-01-13 0:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
All I can gather (if Im bothered) is that the SCGB didnt follow up on an open forum when the opportunity arose
!! Embarassed Therefore SH was born and here we are .... whats wrong with that ? ,...ones loss ones gain.. so what ?? rolling eyes
snow conditions
My favourite film Nemo has a part where Marlon takes Nemo to school on his first day and they are engaged in conversation by other "parents". They notice that Marlon is a clown fish and urge him to tell them a joke. Marlon obliges, yet mumbles and stumbles through what he believes to be a funny story with a great punchline,.. but half way through he's distracted and the joke fissles out ....... the "parents" (fish) look at each other and say " mmm for a clown fish, you know he's really not that funny "

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 2-01-13 0:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
limegreen1, To be fair, Comedy Goldsmith, can have a great sense of humour. It doesn't show itself in its best light on threads about the SCGB.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 2-01-13 0:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Well I've had a wander around the august, vaulted and strangely scented halls of the SCGB's forums and they have all the activity and allure of watching a dog turd turn white . . . which may explain the odour . . . that or the neighbour's cat has left another pressie behind the sofa Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
--

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 11-01-13 0:44; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Well that vitriol and sniping was put to bed *YEARS* ago. f**k knows why it's come back now.

As I said earlier. Goldsmith can join stanton in that exclusive club of being blocked.

Thread lock please!
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Hi LimeGreen

normally a mod should shunt this topic into a special "ski club" decontamination zone. No idea why they have not done so this time.
Actually, that's not correct.
There is no moderators' policy here to treat topics about the SCGB any differently from topics about any other commercial organisation.
Yes, there is a sub-forum named "Ski Club of Great Britain" in the archives but this was never intended for 'hiving off' topics about the subject.
Historically, that forum was created because, in our very early days, due to the particular nature of our naissance, there was so much conversation about the SCGB that all the topics were cluttering up The Piste and a separate section made sense. Once the frequency of new topics had diminished a separate forum no longer seemed warranted and it was archived. These days we see a handful of topics each season about the SCGB so they fall under the topic of general ski discussion and are fine in The Piste unless they have some specific aspect that makes one of the other forums more appropriate. eg. a topic titled "Do they allow snowboarders at the SCGB?" might be better posted to the SnowBoarding forum.
latest report
feef wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

While it's fair (IMHO) to say that iteration n Goldsmith can be rather obsessive about things, after a quick scan of it, it appears to me that anything in this topic that might be described 'venomous' is actually directed at him by a couple of self-proclaimed SCGB reps. (If I've overlooked anything 'venomous' directed elsewhere, please do point it out for the purpose of my enlightenment)
Would the situation be any better on the SCGB forum? Well perhaps any comments perceived as critical would simply have been censored in the first place and you might think that a better approach - in that though, I would tend to disagree on principle and I've stood by that principle over the years, allowing criticism of snowHeads, or of me personally, to stand - difficult though it has been to hear sometimes.
So, I'm sorry if it's 'putting you off SH' but we allow open discussion here - and always have. If discussion about the SCGB is not something you're comfortable with, it's quite easy to simply not visit this topic or if it's specifically iteration n Goldsmith's views that frustrate or annoy you, you have the ignore function at your disposal. But please don't discredit snowHeads as a whole, because one member (or even a few) is critical of the SCGB and a bunch of it's reps respond by, to a degree, bullying him for it.

Further, before you start blaming snowHeads (individual or in general) for this topic, let's not forget, that it was originally started by a representative/employee of the SCGB.
Gotoma86 wrote:
Wow, Ski Club of Great Britain have re-launched their chat forum and it looks good. Simple sign-up, you don't need to become a member plus they seem to have introduced profiles as well. Well this will be fun, who's going to jump ship and start using the Tea Club forum then?[/url]

Gotoma86 wrote:
In fact they have re-done their homepage and navigation, looks a lot more club focused and big drive for personal profiling.

I like it!
Spotted and outed by the ever sensitive users even before Windymiller looked them up Laughing
Windymiller wrote:
User: Gotoma86
IP: 195.***.***.***
Hostname: 195.***.***.***
ISP: British Telecommunications
Organization: Ski club of Great Britain
Services: None detected
Type: Broadband
Assignment: Static IP
Critically here, in describing the SCGB in the 3rd person eg. "re-launched their chat forum" this person was deliberately implying that they were an objective party rather than an agent of the company they were recommending - this is not only extremely bad forum etiquette but, I think, even became against the law recently.
So, while it would be lovely to simply be saying "Welcome to snowHeads Tea Club Minion snowHead", the fact that they came stomping in with another faux pas, kinda set the tone for the topic. Nevertheless, I thought the first few pages were pretty light hearted and often very funny. It's not that surprising that, in starting a topic to draw focus to their newly re-opened forum, they've erm... drawn attention to their newly re-opened forum. Quite frankly, whatever they're paying Gotoma86, they should really be paying Comedy Goldsmith as he's probably sent 20 times as many snowHeads over to have a look by keeping this topic alive after Gotoma86 apparently sloped off in embarrassment.
ski holidays
Quote:

There are (it's stated) "34,000 members", there are (it's stated) "130,000+ subscribers" to the SCGB online newsletter 'Edge' and (it's stated) over 30,000 subscribers to Ski Club TV. Yet the SCGB chat forum is generating 15 postings on a good day.

So the membership is so elderly it wots not of internet chat fora. So what?

Quote:

I'm told - by a SCGB director - that I have a mental health problem!

How very insightful of him. Consider: you spend your every waking moment obsessing over some ancient dispute relating to the activities of a tiny percebtage of the participants in what is already very much a minority sport. FFS, move on. Get outside. Learn to snowboard or something. rolling eyes
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:
Silly me, I left a subset out:

4. Comedy Goldsmith.

He can explain, himself, what he gets out of it, if anything. NehNeh

Still waiting for this subset to respond. Laughing

Last I heard, he doesn't even ski any more.
snow conditions
feef wrote:

What on snowheads, you must surely be kidding. My posts have always been recieved with utmost kindness and popular support.
latest report
nixmap,
snow conditions
*blinks*

Is this Fred over yet? I am trying to kill another 10 days before I point my car towards Folkestone and this topic is not helping to alleviate the boredom of waiting.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
However, I've realised that it seems to be a small number of SHs who have an issue with SCGB, mostly due to something that happened years ago. For those who are SCGB members, let's see if the new Chief Exec can move things forwards; for the rest, I'm not sure why you're bothered by it? Confused

There are a small number of SH that are generally antagonistic whatever the post. Im sorry you receieved such a poor welcome. Generally the moderators do a good job here, but there seems to be a persistent small group that feel they are exempt and can behave differently.

As I said in a previous post, if the scgb move forward, change their exclusivity rules, provide good information and moderate the site well, then why would we not expect them to have a fair chance of being a lot more successsful in the future?

N.
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
nixmap, ...

thanks for your contribution, which only serves to illustrate why people might consider other forums.
Quite brilliant.
ski holidays
nixmap, You inspire me wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy