Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead

This isn't hugely relevant to the subject at hand, but WTF Ski Club [see previous page] has an exclusive this evening ... which we're honoured to share with the New snowHeads of Great Britain [SHGB] Chat Forum ...

Click below for WTF Ski Club Slackline Ski-training (Summer Course) ...

Advanced pole technique [see right] begins at 0:42 ...

http://youtube.com/v/AATc6IgwWLc?t=42s
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
While we're awaiting further SCGB developments, any comments on the video above would be appreciated. His poles looked a bit short to me, as they don't touch the ground.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Perhaps I shouldn't have said that. Says YouTube ... "This video has been removed by the user. Sorry about that."

The Ski Club of Great Britain 2013 Media Pack: commerce or comedy?

As the autumn falls, and winter wends its way, the SCGB is placing its revenue-earning faith in this glitzy-graphicked 18-slide production ...

2013 Media Pack
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/advertise/aboutus.aspx#.Uigtun9q3IU

Well worth a browse, if you want a snapshot view of what the SCGB is up to these days.
The focus of the Media Pack is data and demographics, and that's where the surprises start ...

Slide 3:
SCGB 2013 Media Pack wrote:
The Ski Club of Great Britain is the largest skiing and snowboarding membership organisation in the UK with over 30,000 members ...

Figures 'over 30,000' have arisen since the Club switched to including 18-24 year-olds into family memberships. The SCGB is believed to be unique in that respect, since a high proportion of people in that age group are not within a family household unit - they're studying or working elsewhere. The forthcoming SCGB 2013 annual report will give the definitive membership figure and it will be interesting to see how far over 30,000 it actually is.

Slide 3:
... UK's leading snowsports website - with nearly 2 million unique users per annum.

Highly improbable. For one thing, there are fewer than 1 million 'unique skiers' in the UK. The SCGB's website skiclub.co.uk is audited by ABC Electronic, which limits the data capture to one month. The monthly total of "unique browsers" - as distinct from "unique users" - was 386,208 for January 2013. Much more info here ...
http://www.abc.org.uk/Certificates/18786624.pdf
ABC go to great pains to point out that extrapolation of monthly data is a bad idea, and that there is great difficulty in measuring "unique users", since the web (via multiple IP addresses per user) generates so many apparent different "users" for the same person.

Slide 4:
Over one million people in the UK take a snowsports holiday each year ...

Not according to the Crystal Ski Industry Report 2013. Its figure is 899,700.

Slide 5:
The Ski Club are [sic] the largest snowsports organisation in the world ...

We established on an earlier page of this thread that the German Ski Association DSV has over 600,000 members - over 20 times the size.

Slide 7:
87% Alpine skiers

This seems odd. Are 13% of SCGB members not involved in Alpine skiing?

Slide 15:
Ski Club members have a combined yearly income of over 1 billion Euros

This is particularly surprising, since one would expect members of a British ski club to be primarily resident in the UK, earning Pounds Sterling. If the SCGB is advocating Britain joining the single European currency, this is news to me and quite a controversial position, I'd have thought. Perhaps this should be raised at the AGM.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Slide 4:
Over one million people in the UK take a snowsports holiday each year ...

Not according to the Crystal Ski Industry Report 2013. Its figure is 899,700.

That "1 million people" figure is trotted out by most connected with the business and by the media. Crystal are referring to trips, not individuals. Many take more than one trip. I reckon the number of UK individuals who go on a ski or snowboard trip each year is closer to half a million than a million.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, There really is no method of counting is there, people like me who take the family for 4 or 5 weeks and sometimes another family comes with us are missed out from any figures.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tell me something, Swiller - you seem to know many things.
How come there's so much spin around these days?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin wrote:
Bode Swiller, There really is no method of counting is there, people like me who take the family for 4 or 5 weeks and sometimes another family comes with us are missed out from any figures.

I think they get numbers from Eurotunnel and Dover Harbour etc re approx skier numbers... eg. cars with roofboxes

National tourist boards publish figures - overnights and nationalities.

But, yes, you oligarchs probably slip through the net.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, Talking of Oligarchs, we had a drive around Courchevel 1850 last week, there are some huge Chalets there now and not all Russian owned.
eg, Have a Google "White Pearl Courchevel"! I bet their guests don't get counted!

Shame the rest of the place looks like a building site, there certainly is no recession at the high end. We had a look at Knight Frank's window and every Chalet or appartment was marked as POA, except one 90sq m appartment that was e2.5million!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 5-09-13 13:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, please don't waste my time with places that are only 45,000 Euro a week, I have high standards you know.

http://www.chaletwhitepearl.com/ - what a crappy website for a nice pad.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, Prefer Black Pearl myself Toofy Grin
Rent both for 20 guests Shocked
Is that the next location for your AGM? Laughing

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 5-09-13 15:50; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, for us that would stand for Austrian General Meeting (nothing to do with dressing up as Austrian Generals you understand - although that's not a bad idea)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, you have a typo in your link xx
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shimmy Alcott, Ta, sorted.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Obviously it's for the Ski Club of Great Britain to thoroughly check the correctness of what it publishes, but I'm guessing that the fiction quoted above was also the responsibility of ...

Agency Publicom
http://www.agencypublicom.com/Case-Study-4

This distinguished body of academics, librarians and monks claimed ... in 2011, on its website, concerning the circulation of the SCGB's magazine ...
Quote:
Ski and Board advertisers benefit from reaching almost 100,000 affluent ABC1 readers"

Would anyone care to guess what "almost" amounted to, in thousands?
Clue: the ABC circulation of Ski+Board from Jan-Dec 2010 was 22,996
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Comedy Goldsmith, well, that just means they are claiming a pass-on readership of roughly 4 times... ie allegedly 4 people see each copy. Some publications claim double that.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
This distinguished body of academics, librarians and monks claimed ... in 2011, on its website, concerning the circulation of the SCGB's magazine ...
Quote:
Ski and Board advertisers benefit from reaching almost 100,000 affluent ABC1 readers"

Would anyone care to guess what "almost" amounted to, in thousands?
Clue: the ABC circulation of Ski+Board from Jan-Dec 2010 was 22,996

Approx 91,984 on the generous assumption that each copy is seen on average by four people....?

Edit: Bode Swiller beat me to it (again!) Laughing
snow conditions
I'd be surprised if 1 in 4 copies of that rubbish made it out of the selophane at all, frankly.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, you gotta get up earlier.
snow report
An average pass-on readership of over 4 would have to be explained for Ski+Board, for the following simple reason:

Back in 1988, the Ski Club's previous magazine Ski Survey had an ABC-audited circulation of 26,624 (of which over 10,000 were sold on newsstands). A total readership figure of 54,050 was published to advertisers on the basis of readership research. Of those 54,050 readers, a proportion would have been ABC1.

In other words, the pass-on rate was around 2 - probably below 2.

Remember that over half the copies of Ski+Board posted out to members go to individuals (rather than families). Those copies would not normally be read by more than one person.
snow conditions
Perhaps they are all schizophrenic?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Perhaps they are all schizophrenic?
And perhaps they're counting all the surnames of those schizophrenic identities.
Harrington-Smythe meet Smythe-Harrington.
snow conditions
Yes, I think the overall ABC1 readership of Ski+Board would be - at the very greatest - 50,000, rather than the 100,000 that Agency Publicom claimed in 2011.

Note also Agency Publicom's description of the strength of skiclub.co.uk ...

http://www.agencypublicom.com/Case-Study-4
Quote:
1.9 million unique visitors each year

... using the phrase "unique visitors" rather than "unique users" (the SCGB's phrase) or "unique browsers" (which is the term of the SCGB's auditors and auditing governing body, ABC).

This figure of 1.9 million is just a ballooned fantasy, as far as I can see - dressed up with the word "visitors" to convey that 1.9 million different human beings are engaged with skiclub.co.uk each year. This is an incredible hyperama for a substantial professional media agency, and worthy of a Queen's Award for British Spin.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith,
Quote:
Of those 54,050 readers, a proportion would have been ABC1.

Dahling,
given the very wide scope of definition of ABC1, ( http://www.abc1demographic.co.uk/ ) I would have thought 99% of the readership would come somewhere into the category ( with due deference of course to the occasional visit by a C2 wink ) Naturally the skibums and gappers don't count: but then again, hardly target market.

Unless of course you are refering to the magazine 'pass-on' to the offspring of said ABC1 - who have no direct spend and therefore no categorization (but do engage in pester-power and have signficant influence over purse / wallet of said mummys and daddys).

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 6-09-13 8:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
This figure of 1.9 million is just a ballooned fantasy, as far as I can see - dressed up with the word "visitors" to convey that 1.9 million different human beings are engaged with skiclub.co.uk each year. This is an incredible hyperama for a substantial professional media agency.....

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what a hyperama is. Many years ago I saw a Cinerama film, is it something like that....? Toofy Grin

There is a Hyperama wholesale store in Nottingham though. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Bananarama we're quite popular.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
Bananarama we're quite popular.

Are you a member? (of Bananarama of course)
snow report
rogg, yes, I'm the tall one and I especially used to enjoy doing TOTP when Jimmy Savile was on.
ski holidays
Just an 'events note'. This thread - New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum is rapidly approaching 100,000 total hits. That makes it perhaps the most popular thread (admin, can you confirm?) thread ever started on snowHeads' Piste section. Gotoma86, who began the thread on 18 December 2012 and then promptly vanished (hopefully not in any sinister way) should be very proud of the success of the New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum.

When the 'new chat forum' launched (relaunched) last December, people said it couldn't possibly work, but here it is and look at its success. A tribute to Gotoma86 and all the Great British posters who have posted here.

Perhaps Gotoma86 [are we any wiser as to who this inspired person is?] would like to arrange a celebratory function!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

popular thread

Most populated with posts thread but popular (as in likeable/liked)? I'm not so sure wink . It's hugely entertaining though.

Quote:

Perhaps Gotoma86 [are we any wiser as to who this inspired person is?] would like to arrange a celebratory function!

Free drinks to super-snowheads and above? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
News this morning that the SCGB is planning a new entry-level membership category ... in a news story about the Go Ski Go Board campaign

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=8967#.Ui2rxX9q3IU
Quote:
The Ski Club of Great Britain are also fully behind the campaign, with plans to launch a new beginner tier of membership to help more people get into wintersports.

Nothing in the 'join' section of skiclub.co.uk so far. Standard individual membership is £62 (direct debit) or £67 (otherwise).

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 9-09-13 12:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
How on earth does
Quote:

a new beginner tier of membership to help more people get into wintersports
??
snow report
Provisional SKGB License, comes with free 'L' plates and a little device to go between your goggles and helmet so you get the appropriate gap.
snow report
Richard_Sideways,

How may gopro mounts does it have?
snow report
musher, NONE! Go-Pros are STRICTLY RESERVED for full members and permission can be obtained by filling out form SCGB-OBD-1-11DF "Permission to film snow related activities"
Do not confuse with form SCGB-OBD-1-11DE "Formal proposal of sexual congress with drunken chalet maid", although both forms will have to be signed if you intend to film said proceedings.
Complete any/all relevant forms and return, along with signed cheque or postal order to the Ski Club Central Beaureau of records, Unnecessary Interferance Division, Wimbledon.
ski holidays
Surely all SKGB members are dentists so the pass on readership is almost infinite?
snow report

Who runs the Ski Club of Great Britain?

The 'spokesbody of British skiers' [1995 mission statement] and 'voice of UK snowsports' [2008 communications statement] is run by eight members of Council, elected from the SCGB's membership, plus the three Officers of the club shown here. Each elected councillor becomes a director of the Club for a period of four years (previously three). The board meets every month or two - a frequency which varies from time to time.

As noted above from the Club's 2013 'media pack', the Club - current membership "over 30,000" - not only asserts its status as a 'spokesbody' or 'voice' of 600,000 to 900,000 British skiers, it also claims to be "the largest snowsports organisation in the world" [slide 5 of the media pack].

Frank Gardner, BBC Security Correspondent, was elected President of the SCGB at the 2011 AGM and gave a great acceptance speech, bristling with wit and anecdotes. In awful contrast, reporting for the BBC in 2004 from Saudi Arabia, Gardner was shot six times, paralysing his lower body. As a keen skier, he took that as a challenge and is now an impressive sit-skier. At that 2011 AGM he astonished the audience by rising to his feet. He'd unfolded an aluminium frame resting on his lap, quickly pulling himself up and out of his wheelchair with a pull from his arms. An impressive way to start a speech!

Frank Gardner's role as SCGB president could be various things, according to tradition. When I served on the Council, the Club's president sometimes attended meetings and obviously had a vote. Over the past three decades, generally, the President has chaired the SCGB AGM.

What's odd though is that Frank Gardner is presented (right) as a director of the Ski Club of Great Britain. Companies House has no record of his directorship. A minor point, but it's important to get these things right!

Source of page clip shown here: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/structure/councilmembers.aspx#.UjA_fH9q3IU
snow report

Who runs the Ski Club of Great Britain? Part Two

The 10-strong all-male board of the SCGB is completed by the eight members of Council (right). In fact, you'll see that there are currently seven because the one female board member (Harriet Bradley) elected in November 2010, ceased to be a SCGB director during 2011 (according to Companies House).

The Club's chief executive is Frank McCusker, appointed in July 2012 after the 16-year CEOship of Caroline Stuart-Taylor.

Below the CEO is a 27-strong executive staff (some may be part-time) running the office, finances, communications, marketing, PR, website, social media, video content, IT, member services, membership subscriptions, information and events (summarising job titles listed). According to the 1998 annual report (the Club had about the same number of subscription payers 25 years ago) the SCGB had 17 full-time staff in that year (therefore the 27 and 17 may not be comparable figures).

Then, of course, there are the leaders in the resorts (formerly 'reps'), who also act as leaders on club holidays. 303 leaders are listed on the Club's website.

All in all, then, one could say that the SCGB is not short of leaders, staff, managers, senior managers, directors and officers.

Regional representation is an an issue, since the club is a national membership body. There is, as such, no regional structure so - for example - the Club is not represented in Scotland and has no Scottish director on the board. For most of the 20th century I believe the Ski Club's control was more reflective of its diverse geographical roots.

As indicated above, there's a distinct male dominance at the White House (the Club's HQ), given that only one of the eight members of staff seemingly at senior management level is female. In total, 11 out of 28 executive staff are female.

With a total of around 340 people listed as working for the SCGB (many part-time/voluntary) one could reasonably ask how the organisation is getting along in terms of productivity and membership trends: growth or decline?
snow report
Quote:
There is, as such, no regional structure so - for example - the Club is not represented in Scotland

Scotland isn't missing much as far as I can see, but quite frankly I've thought for a long time that it should be known as the 'Ski Anywhere but Great Britain Club'. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Winterhighland,

Didn't you know there's no snow in Scotland wink
snow conditions
... in July and August. Expect snow above 3000ft on the Scottish mountains this coming Monday and Tuesday. Best snow on upper slopes. Wax up your skis.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy