Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
A new day. Purdah is over.

Comedy Goldsmith, ahh, the one and only person (for it is he) who professes such concern for the Ski Club while single-handedly attempting to do it as much damage as possible and thereby validate his Cassandra-like predictions.

CG, are you really Arnold Lunn? I think we should be told.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
DT68 wrote:
CG, I see you dodged the question about the SCGB forum ... rolling eyes

I didn't dodge the question at all. I suggested that the SCGB's staff should always be treated as intelligent and rational, which would not threaten their sanity at all.

Which begs the question, why was this being said about you in 2006:
Quote:
No member of staff may ever have complained to you. But probably every one of them I have ever spoken since the advent of the chat forum (except Arnie Wilson) has told me that your persistent sniping is bad for morale and they DO feel you are undermining their work
?

Is your unremittingly approach a long-standing characteristic? Apologies for asking, but I am a latecomer to all of these things.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DT68, that's your opinion and you're at liberty to express it. You're accusing me of wilful sabotage, which obviously I reject absolutely. I stand by my record (over 35 years) as a journalist for the SCGB, marketing copywriter etc., and council member.

No, I wasn't "arnold lunn". I've only ever been registered with the SCGB website by my own name - David Goldsmith - and that was the only name to by-line posts that I wrote. You won't find anything after July 2007, which is when I was banned from posting.

Have a nice new day.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Comedy Goldsmith, It is wilful sabotage on your part, IMO.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 20-03-13 7:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PJSki, it's neither necessary nor polite to start using words like that.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PJSki wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, It is wilful sabotage on your part, IMO. Treachery wreaks, of catpiss in your case.

Eloquent abuse, of a quality we only see from you every couple of hours. "Wreaks of catpiss" kind of works, but "wreaks havoc" is the usual expression (but inappropriate). There's also "reeks of catpiss" - conventional, though unpleasant. "Wrecks of catpiss" wouldn't make any sense at all.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PJSki, no one would have a problem with you returning to something you've just written to remove the abuse (second sentence). The broader issue is that you have been abusing fellow skiers for over ten years, sometimes as a regular SCGB member and other times (e.g. currently) as a SCGB director. You walk in the footsteps of great men, like Sir Arnold Lunn, but you do them a disservice. The Ski Club of Great Britain was founded and built by people of great intellectual and cultural quality, who saw skiing not only as a nice slide but a means to travel and understand alternative viewpoints.

From what we know of Sir Arnold Lunn's real career - his very interesting day job - it is more than likely that he played an instrumental role in understanding Adolf Hitler, undermining his network, and destroying him. Read his book The Story of Skiing, and particularly the chapter on St Anton during the Anschluss.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Comedy Goldsmith, what were your years of working for the Club in each of the posts mentioned?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You really want to know? It doesn't seem to help!
First wrote for the SCGB (on freestyle skiing) in 1977, and then ski equipment/snowmaking/technical innovation etc. etc. from 1978 through to 1994-5. A scattering of articles since then, e.g. for the centennial edition of the Club's magazine in 2003. All that for six successive editors. Copywriter and member of SCGB Council: need to check dates - will get back to you. I co-edited the SCGB's in-house newsletter 'Write Out' for a while.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DT68,
Quote:

and I had such high hopes of you Sad
Gerry just can' help himself
rising to the bait!

Although it has to be said this thread does wonders for advertising your club on Google et al.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, it's this:

http://youtube.com/v/Feurle7qkfQ
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or maybe this:

http://youtube.com/v/Ge470VPH_IU
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin wrote:
DT68,
Quote:

and I had such high hopes of you Sad
Gerry just can' help himself
rising to the bait!

Although it has to be said this thread does wonders for advertising your club on Google et al.

You're right, goldsmith is just a troll.

Admin, please delete my account.

Looking forward to reading the term and conditions thread when goldsmith gets bored of shitting on his own club.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[That's enough own goals. Ed.]

Post of the Day (to the tune of Match of the Day)
PJSki wrote:
Admin, please delete my account.

Gerry, all you need to do is change your password to something you'll instantly forget. That's what I usually do.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PJSki, Are you sure after 31 pages of 'advertising!! Shocked
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
You really want to know? It doesn't seem to help!

Just thought I would run a quick "Fact Check", because the suggestion that you had been working for the SCGB in various capacities for 35 years struck me as surprising.

The only help provided by the publicly-accessible part of your LinkedIn profile is as follows:
Quote:

Equipment Editor
Ski Survey magazine
1984 – 1994 (10 years)

So I am looking forward to seeing how the figure of 35 years is made up. wink
snow conditions
PJSki-O, you'll be missed. But if you really are leaving could you please first start a thread explaining your decision to go ...
ski holidays
DT68, I've always worked for the Skeeb on a freelance basis, with a 'job title' on the magazine for those ten years. Other stuff has been more occasional. I became a family member in 1962 and then - after a break from about 1970-86 - independently from 1987 (I think - that's the first year I have an annual report for).

All told, therefore, my relationship with the club spans 51 years.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, not good enough: you were not talking about membership of the SCGB but about your experience working for it in various capacities. The earliest date identified by you as working for the SCGB in any capacity is 1977. It is obvious that your "work" was far from continuous and did not extend until 2012 (being, by my calculations - but please feel free to correct me - 35 years after 1977).

So, how is the figure of 35 years made up?
snow report
DT68, sorry, I misunderstood you. I've been writing for and about the Ski Club of Great Britain - i.e. for its members - for 35 years.
snow conditions
DT68, He's written 31 pages for your club in this thread alone Toofy Grin
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:
You're right, goldsmith is just a troll.

ski holidays
Actually, I've just realised it's 36 years now (2013 minus 1977)
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, you could have said "I got it wrong" or "I made it up". Instead you have chosen to suggest that your earlier post means something quite different from what it said.

Quote:
I stand by my record (over 35 years) as a journalist for the SCGB, marketing copywriter etc., and council member

A decade of slagging the SCGB off on this and the SCGB forums does not fall within being "a journalist for the SCGB, marketing copywriter etc., and council member".

You fail the "fact check". rolling eyes
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Actually, I've just realised it's 36 years now (2013 minus 1977)
Of course it is, dear.
snow conditions
DT68, keep feeding rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
boredsurfin, good point well made.
New SDO
ski holidays
DT68, technically, anyone who writes on a forum like this is a journalist. Not a professionally trained, paid, commissioned writer maybe but a journalist nonetheless. CG definitely has written for or about SCGB for all those years. A journalist is simply someone who collects, writes and distributes news and other information. The Internet has spawned gazillions of journalists.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller (are you related to Pedantica wink ?), even if that were a tenable construction of the word "journalist", it would not make HWMNBN a "journalist for the SCGB".
snow conditions
DT68, I'll concede that the last paid piece I did for the SCGB's magazine Ski+Board was about 6 years ago (an article about the A to Z of Zermatt) ... but would argue (rightly or wrongly) that the type of analysis you've seen - even very recently - is for the benefit of the board and the membership. One of the Club's major issues is its historical knowledge/ignorance and capacity to avoid/repeat historical errors. OK, unpaid uncommissioned writing is not 'formally working for the Skeeb', but it's a form of labour for the mutual benefit of the organisation ... one could argue.

Enough about me, though. What about you?
snow conditions
DT68, of course the relationship of unpaid people (i.e. the membership) to the headquarters of the organisation is infinitely more important than any 'players'. The members are the essence of any club, as snowHeads demonstrates so vividly ... every day, year in year out.
snow conditions
DT68, for, of, about so what? He produces more copy about the SCGB than anyone else has (probably ever) which is why this thread has reached 31+ pages and been viewed nearly 64,000 times. I doubt very much it would still be going strong if he hadn't been using his journalistic skills (whether you agree with the arguments or not).
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, the "so what" relates to the casual presentation of assertions as facts when they are not. Some might also disagree with your use of the word "skills", but ho hum.
snow report
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
DT68, keep feeding rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Baiting more like.

I kind of think its getting to the time when someone (mod) needs to step in.

However, I suppose self-moderation would be preferable.

It would be ecouraging if the two main protagonists, DT68 and PJSki put as much effort into the SKGB chat room and perhaps tried to get their members to engage in their forum. Which is currently extremely quiet.

Hey ho, wishful thinking rolling eyes
snow report
Chasseur, if PJSki is who we think he is in another place then he is one of very few who posts there regularly. And so vigorously that a complete thread was pulled recently. And I suspect DT68 (in another guise) has also been involved over there.

It takes two to tango but a whole lot more than two for a ball. Currently the SCGB forum limps as badly as a one-legged Indian in a bum-kicking contest
ski holidays

If Gerry was still with us, I was going to suggest that he "wake up and smell the coffee". It looks remarkably similar when you float the cream on top, but it's better for the working mind at this time of the morning.

[Edit: the photo on the right is not the one originally posted here. This was the original photo, which has been removed for legal reasons:
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/user/profile.aspx/gerry-aitken-1 ]

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 1-04-13 20:35; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Chasseur,
That's what confuses me about the whole thread too... Comedy Goldsmith, why not come up with some stats as to how much the SCGB forum would have been popularised by having had contained this thread... by the month/day/hour/minute... infact as many as you can think of....
ski holidays
flangesax, that's turning the hypothetical into the ridiculous. This thread ... we need to remember ... began as an official (one has to assume) SCGB spam. After 31 pages it's turned into an official (one has to assume) SCGB flounceo.

If MO Day had never happened, obviously this thread wouldn't have happened ... and we'd be happily grazing on the SCGB pasture in springtime.
snow report
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy