Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Legs too close together

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hammerite, when you say John Wayne do you mean a bit bow-legged? In which case a bit of canting could help you to get closer together. Very mild adjustment, mind. I've heard about an approach for testing out if that would help, before spending on professional adjustment, by sliding a beer mat (or similar thickness) down the outer side of your boot, inbetween your shell and liner.

Anyone know more about this to explain in a bit more detail? I heard it can help 'O' shaped skiers but don't have the technical knowledge to say more than I have already.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Canting should be adjusted to accommodate your natural gait, not force it into a different alignment.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, sure but sometimes a person's natural gait may be misaligned by pronation or, in the case of an "O", supination. That's what orthotics are for and, I've heard, minor canting adjustments can help too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
flowa, would you want your boots forcing you into a position which was unnatural? Sounds like a shortcut to stresses and strains. There are other ways to sort out alignment if your natural stance means your skis don't run flat or your movent is restricted.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, no, I definitely wouldn't want my boots forcing me into a position which isn't natural. However, I would be interested if they could help me out of an unnatural position. I'm not professing expertise here and I get your point but I still think there's a possibility for a minor adjustment to help bring alignment to where it naturally should be. (if that's even the case here, anyway Puzzled )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
flowa, You're right, adjustments can be made to bring a person into proper alignment, but I think Rob was saying that
it isn't done by adjusting the cuff of the boot. The cuff should be adjusted to follow the angle of the lower leg.
Any adjustment to make the skis run flat in a knock kneed or bow legged skier should be done lower down by placing cants either the bindings
or by grinding the boot soles.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flowa, I wouldn't say I'm bow legged that I'm aware of, interesting thought though as I do use orthotics in my running shoes for over pronation. I don't think this is the problem

gatecrasher, it's possible that could be the cause.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hammerite, when you become aware of something like that (a very narrow stance or wide stance for example) then you can begin to correct it. Its only when I see myself on video that I can really assess what I am doing and see how it compares with what I 'think' I was doing. Getting your spouse(or friends or instructor) to video you is great learning aid. Its humbling but it is important to understand where you are at if you want to improving your skiing.

Seriously, a little coaching & some dedicated practice will go a long way. Some guidance and a bit of effort will go a long way.

[If you are really keen on improving your skiing then I would recommend having your boots professionally fitted (by CEM or someone similar) and sooner rather than later. Just to be sure that you have the right boots for your feet to begin with. ]
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boots by CEM check.

No video of myself skiing but the OH did take some hi speed burst shots (I couldn't stop a pig in an alleyway!), have already checked rob@rar's website as I'm pretty close to Hemel, will get some video next time I'm away too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hammerite, cool - just putting it out there as a possibility to try before seeking further help. Interesting that you're over pronated but skiing like a cowboy? Would you post up vid when you get some?

jimmjimm, cheers. Minor point of clarity, I wasn't suggesting doing anything with the cuff - I meant low down but didn't want to give too-specific directions as I'm not an expert - was hoping someone else who's tried it and knows what they're talking about would chip in.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Close together = more camp
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
22 dropout wrote:
Close together = more camp

The technical term is "Gay Euro Mincing"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
French ski team encouraging closer stance to speed edge change, come in Mario Matt your time is up.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flowa, yes will do. No idea when I'll get round to videoing, not away in the snow until Easter, but might head to MK or get a lesson at Hemel.

Who knows, given that I'm very conscious of it I may be able sort it out and post up a near perfect position Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy