Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing buddy might be cancelling, should I still go !?

Poster: A snowHead
Disaster !

My friend who I am sharing a room with has just phoned to say that he is suffering from a really bad frozen shoulder.

Just the two of us are meant to be going to Ischgl on 12/01, staying in the hotel Fliana. I'm hoping he will get better but if he doesn't make it I have no idea whether to go solo or cancel. Any ideas or experiences would be most appreciated.

Thx

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There would be no question of not going for me!

You could try advertising for a buddy in the 'Solo Skiers' section of the forum.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thx, problem is its a bit pricey Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go, either find someone on here as a new room share or just go and have fun!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why would it be pricey? Has he not already paid?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Would love to go but as my buddy has already paid £1700 all in, I don't think he will be willing to pay for someone else when he can get cancellation paid by insurance.

If he cancels and I still go I would have to fork out an extra £1100 for the single supplement. So I think the easiest way is to fully cancel the holiday and book myself onto a snoworks course or something like that.

If there is anyway this thread could be moved into the solo skiers section that would be great !

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 19-12-12 13:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm, it somehow doesn't seem right that if he cancels (and had the can cancelation paid for by insurance) that you then get charged extra to still go?

Saying that 12th jan is low season and you may be able to a descent last minute bargain.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never done it (touch wood) but to claim, do you have to show proof of cancellation ? If so, does proof of getting someone else to go instead count ? If so, put someone down as going - they may or may not ultimately turn up... Or is that too simple ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

£1100 for the single supplement.

Wow, no wonder people complain about single supplements. I doubt I have ever paid half this for a ski holiday
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

So I think the easiest way is to fully cancel the holiday and book myself onto a snoworks course or something like that.

if you can do that, without penalty, that's definitely what I would do.

But if the hotel are not out of pocket, you shouldn't have to pay extra? Or if they are charging a cancellation fee which is less than the full amount, you should only have to pay the difference, shirley?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd cancel then book somewhere else. Plenty of late deals available in Jan. If this booking has cost you £1900, you'll probably have enough left over to go again in Feb... and probably March as well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
£1100 for a single supplement!

Blimey. Last year I paid £1400 for three of us in a fully catered chalet in val disere with flights and transfers.

But yes, if his cancellation insurance pay him the money back then the hotel shouldn't charge you the supplement. They've already had the money. Sit shouldn't make any difference to them if one or two turn up.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm going to speak to the TO tomorrow and see what the cost diff is for underoccupancy of the room. I guess if I cancel best for a solo skier is a chalet or club hotel. Thx for your suggestions as really Peeed off !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2planks, There is no under occupancy as your mate has paid.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the hotel have already been paid - as far as theyre concerned its all good -they dont have to give the money back, the insurers do. Call the hotel and explain- i'll bet there will be no problem at all.
ski holidays
2planks, Be careful what you ask TO. They're likely to give a reply thats suits them.

Unless i've missed something:

Holiday for two booked and paid for.
One pulls out due to injury.
Injured party claims on insurance for loss of holiday.
Other goes on holiday as planned, with an empty seat alongside on flight and empty bed in hotel. Couldn't claim on insurance if they wanted to.
latest report
It's possible, I suppose, that the TO has not yet paid the hotel. I'd definitely speak to the hotel before the TO.

Some travel insurance policies will cover you if a companion can't travel, but I think it might have to be a Significant Other rather than a mate. But that's worth trying, too.
latest report
2planks, If you can't get your money back. I would tell your friend to man up or get a new mate.Twisted Evil
You don't ski with your shoulder, upper body should be kept still, get cortisone injections & pain killers.
If he still can't ski he can keep you company at the bar & drink with his other arm. wink
snow conditions
Circusthing wrote:
2planks, Be careful what you ask TO. They're likely to give a reply thats suits them.

Unless i've missed something:

Holiday for two booked and paid for.
One pulls out due to injury.
Injured party claims on insurance for loss of holiday.
Other goes on holiday as planned, with an empty seat alongside on flight and empty bed in hotel. Couldn't claim on insurance if they wanted to.

DITTO THIS.

I'll get a cheap flight out there and will check in with you as your mate!! Sorted.

I doubt the hotel will even know.

One things for sure i dont think you will have to pay the single supplement.
snow conditions
Circusthing, he is claiming from his insurer not from the TO direct
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, Exactly, the package is taken care of. Mate claims from insurance as he can't go. Nothing changes for 2planks, other than they now go alone. 2planks, is unlikely to get a refund or insurance claim.
latest report
Another way of looking at it, his mate had paid the under-occupancy supplement charge for 2planks. So he should just enjoy the room by himself.
ski holidays
Sorry- misread your post Circusthing,
snow report
On your own, double bed never know you might get lucky.
snow conditions
Circusthing wrote:
2planks, is unlikely to get a refund or insurance claim.

but will not be charged a supplement
ski holidays
Cynic, Austrian twin Laughing

Correct if I just travel on my own then yes no single supplement and maybe one of you get a v.cheap trip to Ischgl but.....my friends insurance company might want a cancellation letter confirming he has cancelled his part of the holiday. Its doubtful he will make it as he cant even drive. I have no idea what to tbh

Lechbob best idea yet snowHead will suggest it
snow report
It is paid for and you won't get a refund. Even if the insurance company want a cancellation letter, they will either give him or the TO the cash, so you will not have to pay any more. Just go. If you are lonely, buy me flights and I will keep you compnay
latest report
Your friend may not be successful in claiming on his insurance. Just because he has a frozen shoulder doesn't stop him going on the holiday even if he won't be able to ski. Insurance companies can be quite strict about this sort of thing. His options maybe to go and spend the time in the bar, or sell his holiday for what he can get (maybe a small proportion of what he paid) and depending pn what the TO charges for changing the name on the booking
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll cross check again with insurance co but they did say today that I would be covered for cancellation due to mate being a bit of a woosse and the policy does mention companion but we all know they say one thing but then try and wriggle out.

Be interesting to see how this works out, you never know maybe one of you will be able to get to Innsbruck airport for the evening of 12/01, jump on the transfer coach and get free room, pass Toofy Grin

But I ain't paying for flights no way Jose Cool
snow conditions
If you do go you're in for a treat. The Fliana is one of the best hotels in Ischgl and situated right next to a gondola.
ski holidays
A few years ago I was in a similar situation in that I had dislocated my shoulder and was waiting for an operation to reattach the rotator cuff tendons. I just skied with my arm in a sling. The difficult part was actually getting my boots on one handed.
ski holidays
On the rocks wrote:
Your friend may not be successful in claiming on his insurance. Just because he has a frozen shoulder doesn't stop him going on the holiday even if he won't be able to ski. Insurance companies can be quite strict about this sort of thing. His options maybe to go and spend the time in the bar, or sell his holiday for what he can get (maybe a small proportion of what he paid) and depending pn what the TO charges for changing the name on the booking

My insurance company wouldn't pay out for a cancellation following popping my ACL. They said I could still go on the holiday I just couldn't ski. Needless to say I've since changed insurers.
snow report
Can you name and shame?
snow conditions
Still waiting for my friend to decide whether be will cancel....he thinks its a trapped nerve from the severe pain he is in.

Did speak to my insurance (natwest ad gold cover) and they will cover cancellation, just need a medical note stating he is unfit for the holiday.

Going to speak to the TO again as he might need some documentation to prove he has cancelled, and question why I would be charged an underoccupancy charge when we have paid the full amount, it's not as though the TO will be losing any money.

So a bit of a wait and if I can get away without my mate cancelling officially, there might a free room going for someone wink

Can anyone remember whether Austrian hotels check the passports of all the guests or only the lead name ?
ski holidays
you wouldn't get away with it with an airline, but why on earth should a hotel worry who you share your Austrian twin with? Tell them you've had a tiff with your friend who's horrid and untrustworthy but your new friend is helping you get over him?
snow report
so the holiday on 12 Jan cost £1900 per person all in? For one week? Wow.
ski holidays
The issue you may have, is that if the booking was made as a single transaction for the two of you, then if one cancels and claims on the insurance, then the other party is "deemed" to have cancelled too.

My pals had to do this 2 years ago when their eldest daughter popped her collar-bone 1 week before we were due to go. They all had to cancel to get any money back. We had booked the same accommodation separately, so we still went. On the second day, a couple turned up having booked the newly available room as a last minute deal. They got an absolute bargain!
snow report
Your mate needs to toughen up a bit. Trapped nerve stopping a trip to Ischgl Shocked Hasn't he read the snow reports ?
Ischgl is also one of the world's leading resorts for providing alternative anaesthetic to any sort of problem particularly between 4pm and 4am. I can recommend the Trofana Alm as being particularly highly skilled in the provision of pain relief.
snow report
jamescollings, This is the scenario which I'm trying to find out more info about.

downhillalltheway, Don't..... I know I know Confused
ski holidays
Phew ! I can go even if my mate cancels. snowHead The TO explained as it is so late in cancelling and the cancellation charge would be 100% of the holiday cost, the room is already paid for.

Thanks for all your advice, it's now a waiting game for me.....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy