Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

baggage weight restrictions with Thomas Cook...

Poster: A snowHead
Off to snowy Tignes in the new year, and reading the small print of my booking, I see that Thomas Cook have reduced the luggage allowance to 15Kgs this year, tho helpfully will let me have another 5kg for a mere £20 extra..
That on top of the £35 for the skiis.. oh, and extra if you want one of their 'breakfasts' on board.

Is this the start of some tour operators going all 'ryan air' on us, ie advertising a headline price that they know most people cant achieve, or am I just way behind the curve ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
toby wright, have you been locked up for 10 years Puzzled Fill up your ski bag with extra clothes/skis, buy a sandwich before you fly, top up Thomas Cooks margin from the drinks trolley. Enjoy!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
toby wright wrote:
Off to snowy Tignes in the new year, and reading the small print of my booking, I see that Thomas Cook have reduced the luggage allowance to 15Kgs this year, tho helpfully will let me have another 5kg for a mere £20 extra..
That on top of the £35 for the skiis.. oh, and extra if you want one of their 'breakfasts' on board.

Is this the start of some tour operators going all 'ryan air' on us, ie advertising a headline price that they know most people cant achieve, or am I just way behind the curve ?

My fun surprise was finding out Monarch weigh hand luggage (where I carry laptop and other not-light things).
That involved throwing away a book *SOB*, sharing my luggage with friends (fortunately travelling with two others), and generally being unimpressed. Was glad I'd arrived early.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i'm going with Neilson's (part of thomas cook), but the airline is FLYBE and they give 20kgs baggage allowance ....

Regarding Thomas Cook - don't forgot your Hand Baggage allowance...... 5kg
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
toby wright, Yes I thought they were being deliberately tight with the allowance etc. I would rather they charge enough to make a profit & include a civilised baggage allowance and a drink on the plane. I don't need gash airline food on a short flight even though it helps kill the boredom. I got the holiday heavily discounted and a 241 lift pass and would have paid more. They then want to chisel back peanuts in attempt to cover costs. Come on, this just gets my back up & tarnishes their image. I didn't take them up on the extra 5 kg as it was a blatant tout. Ski carriage at £35 is fair enough & you get 15 kg extra allowance which you can mix & match with the 15 kg hold bag. Along with 5 kg of cabin baggage is enough for me.
Yes, it is the Ryanair model which has been financially successful & has spread like a disease but now it is so widespread it is counter productive and alienates its market.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
albob wrote:
i'm going with Neilson's (part of thomas cook), but the airline is FLYBE and they give 20kgs baggage allowance ....

Are you sure? All the trips I looked at with Neilson and FlyBe were 15kg with the 5kg "top up" at an extra £20 pp
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We're flying Thomas Cook on a Neilson holiday on Saturday and I've just checked the paperwork. 20 Kgs hold luggage + 5 Kg hand luggage, and in-flight meals included.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I booked with Neilsons and the paperwork came through with 20kg... but on checking they'd charged me a £20 supplement (x2) for the extra 5kg each. I got it refunded and now have 15kg each, which we're always under anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RachelQ wrote:
We're flying Thomas Cook on a Neilson holiday on Saturday and I've just checked the paperwork. 20 Kgs hold luggage + 5 Kg hand luggage, and in-flight meals included.

So are we - paid the extra from 15kg to 20kg for hold luggage. Meals were included.

Not too fussed at the extra as managed to negotiate a discounted price over the phone.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's not really a 'Ryan Air' model - changes in air fuel prices, recession competition and some interesting legal cases resulting from people getting hit in the head when fellow passengers tried to stuff overiszed/over weight 'hand' luggage (you know who you are) into overhead lockers never built to take that level of strain have all meant that the economy model for airflight had to change. Ryan Air just got in first becasue the were tres stingy - the rest had to follow for the reasons listed above. I gather it's all changing again anyway.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tiger2 wrote:
albob wrote:

Are you sure? All the trips I looked at with Neilson and FlyBe were 15kg with the 5kg "top up" at an extra £20 pp

Yeah - just checked the paper work, 20kgs hold and 5kgs hand (even though the brochure states 15 hold and 5 hand!?!), and i haven't paid any extra supplement......

i'm a bit surprised at all the variations this thread is bringing out !!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Same as us last year and year before with TC, meals included, no extra costs paid. I did know someone who booked a late deal with Neilson and flew TC, they got 15kg hold luggage plus 5kg hand luggage - apparently the norm for late deals with them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was a little annoyed by the T&Cs with Esprit when we booked saying that baggage allowance is normally 20kg but won't be confirmed until you get your tickets through.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

it is so widespread it is counter productive and alienates its market

if it was such a poor business model it wouldn't be so widespread. If I am travelling light, and am happy to take a sandwich, to keep costs down, why should I pay more so you can take shedloads of stuff and have a gin and tonic?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't mind (too much) paying more, I just wish it were clearer and more up front when you book.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
I don't mind (too much) paying more, I just wish it were clearer and more up front when you book.

This. I would have packed less if I'd known about the handluggage restriction before reaching the airport. And was too tired to fight it once there.

(But is odd, as surely the booze you pick up in duty free will change the weight post-weighing?)
ski holidays
It should certainly be clear - but I guess we all fail to read small print! I hired a car in Glasgow last year, pre-paid. when I turned up they wouldn't give it to me because I didn't have a passport with me (had various other ID including my driving licence and their email confirmation). Was very cross, but it was my own fault. Embarassed
snow report
gandie wrote:
toby wright, have you been locked up for 10 years Puzzled Fill up your ski bag with extra clothes/skis, buy a sandwich before you fly, top up Thomas Cooks margin from the drinks trolley. Enjoy!

Is it really that long snowHead

I already do pack my ski bag out with as much clothes etc as possible... but in recent years had started relegating my boot bag to using a single suitcase..

looks like I'll have to consider breaking the bag out again..

I dont care about the mouldy sandwich, I've taken my own for years, but I do care about having to struggle to get under an arbitary 15kg limit, or pay another £20 on top to take my usual, ( and pretty minimalist ), stuff. ( exactly the same stuff I've taken for 10+ years )

If they'd just made the original price +£20 and included the 20kg limit I wouldnt mind, its the principle... I don't like to feel I'm having the urine extracted.

and being British, I like to have a good moan about it, whilst still paying wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 17-12-12 17:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

it is so widespread it is counter productive and alienates its market

if it was such a poor business model it wouldn't be so widespread. If I am travelling light, and am happy to take a sandwich, to keep costs down, why should I pay more so you can take shedloads of stuff and have a gin and tonic?

The complaint isnt about you paying less by not taking anything with you.. good for you.

Its about 'sharp' advertising.. the price that is on the website, is not the real price to take a 'normal' amount of luggage, the 'extras' are hidden away, and only apparent once you are doing a booking.

When I'm choosing a holiday, I dont expect to have to guess whether I can take 15 or 20 kg with me, and what random charge they are going to make for that extra 5kg.

I accept that I have to pay for my skiis, but reducing the baggage allowance, ( whilst keeping very quiet about it ), is to be frank, taking the proverbial....
snow report
For several years with Neilson if you have booked early you seem to get 20kgs, later bookings 15kg, can't say this bothers me for a week long holiday, my checked bag weighed in at 9kg last year, some of my baselayers etc were in with my skis, my ski boot bag was filled with t shirts/socks etc, I even managed to pack some dry foods/spices/oils etc so we wouldn't have to spend a fortune in the supermarket.
latest report
pam w wrote:
......... why should I pay more so you can take shedloads.........

I think at £20 for 5Kg, the subsidy works the other way around!
snow report
On a related point: in my experience with the check-in staff with Thomas Cook, it's worth making sure that you have all (and I mean every last scrap) of the paperwork/confirmations/receipts for any additional charges you may pay for in advance.

I have flown with them a few times and everytime they've been difficult about skis at check-in. On one particularly enjoyable occasion it was a 30min argument/discussion because they wanted to charge me for ski carriage, even though I had the piece of paper to say they'd been pre-booked and pre-paid through Neilson at the time iof booking the holiday Confused Not a great way to start a holiday.

Maybe things have improved since I last travelled with them - but thought I'd mention it!
ski holidays
If you have a separate ski bag, with extras stuffed in there, why would anyone need more than another 15 kg hold baggage, especially when you take a bit of extra as hand baggage? Your stuff can't be that minimalist, toby wright.
ski holidays
Trouble is it isn't clearly stated even in the booking T&Cs small print

Quote:

c) Baggage and Baggage Allowance
The baggage allowance for our flights as advised with your flight e-tickets (normally 15-20kgs per person, excluding infants) must not be exceeded in any circumstances, or check-in staff may levy excess baggage charges or be unable to place your luggage on the flight. Baggage allowance on scheduled flights is limited to one piece of hold baggage per person (excluding infants). All your belongings remain your responsibility at all times and Hotelplan Ltd will not be held responsible for any items being mislaid, loaded onto wrong coaches, left behind etc. It is normally your responsibility to manage your baggage at all times including its transfer to and from chalets and Chalet Hotel rooms. Hotelplan Ltd accepts no responsibility for luggage lost or damaged by the airline or airport baggage handlers or coach drivers, and if this occurs, you should notify the service provider immediately of any problem that has arisen. You should contact the airline, airport or coach company directly and use your travel insurance for any resulting claim.

You book and pay your deposit without knowing what it is. This I don't like, and when the weight of mine and hubbies ski boots used to be 10kg combine (we don't have skis) it is quite tight to manage if it ends up being the 15kg each.
snow report
Glad this thread got started, as I am a first timer I was wondering if my nice new ski boots would be acceptable as hand luggage? (In a boot bag ofc) Anyone else travel in this manner? 20kg for the rest of my stuff is no problem at all, I always have more weight on the way back...ahem.
latest report
Quote:

(In a boot bag ofc)

there's endless discussion about this. I'd stick 'em in an ordinary carry on bag.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

(In a boot bag ofc)

there's endless discussion about this. I'd stick 'em in an ordinary carry on bag.

Advice taken!

Now about helmets......

Sorry! Laughing
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

(In a boot bag ofc)

I think, in short answer, it does dep3end on your carrier, but as well as that, different people seem to have different ex[periences with the same carrier. Given their quite hefty weight, I wou;dn't want to have to lug them around the airport, on the plane, life them into the overhead bins, etc and as well as that, I can do without finding out at check in that they can't go as hand luggage, so I pack them in my hold luggage.

Helmets - now then - I personally put these in the suitcases. Not because of their weight, but they're cumbersome and I almost brained some poor chap sat behind me when I got the husband's bag out of the overhead bins for something a couple of years ago.

My opinion, sure others will have their own thoughts.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep. I'm with jocrad. If travelling with a bag and ski carriage then boots and helmet go in the hold luggage with the helmet in the middle of the bag stuffed with things. However, with BA still allowing 23kg everything goes into one Dakine wheeled ski bag and I usually take just one boot hand luggage to make the weight. Might use the liners idea in future though (although I suspect most of the weight is in the shell).
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Your stuff can't be that minimalist, toby wright.

Ahh, Pam, you'd think so but honestly, I literally take the minimum I can apart from my actual skiing clothing, and no night time outfits or anything like that ! Just the jeans I travel in and my ski jacket.. not even a fresh pair of shreddies for each day... well, inside out gives you an extra day or two doesnt it Toofy Grin

Also I recently changed from a ski bag, to a polycarbonate ski tube... which while doing a much better job of protecting my skis ( and easier to wheel around at GVA), cant actually fit as much stuff in around the skis...

I also stopped putting my boots in their own bag, and used my suitcase... this comes in at ~17kg

Maybe my boots are made of lead Wink

Hand luggage (rucksack) has my helmet,( and I really cant be doing with the will they/wont they let my take my boots in hand luggage worry, I've seen the arbitary rule making on this at chambrey and grenoble to many times... ),

Now, maybe I can get under the 15kg limit, with some creative repacking, but its a pita, and unnecessarily money grabbing on the TA part I feel.

Anyhow, not going to let it spoil my holiday, less than a month to go snowHead
snow report
What you need to practice is that subtle lifting the edge of you suit case with you leg manoeuvre while they are doing the weighing.

However the boots are probably to blames hubbies size 12 old Salamons were really heavy 7kg on their own from memory. We got him a "new" second hand pair earlier this year and those new ones feel half the weight (haven't weighed them properly yet)
snow report
Thomas Cook very definitely say no ski boots in hand luggage.
latest report
RachelQ,

This is a bit of a weird one. I can see their website says no boots in hand baggage on that link as does the Neilsons brochure. The manager of the Thomas Cook shop where I bought the holiday said it was allowed (she is a regular skier), and there were definitely boots carried onto the plane as hand baggage - openly in boot bags. I asked the senior steward, and he was not aware of any restrictions on hand baggage except the 5kg weight limit.

I didn't risk it I bought the extra 5kg allowance and they went in the main hold bags. We booked late and would have only got 15kg otherwise. My hold bag with boots was just over 15kg, but I did put my walking boots in one of the kids bags as they just wouldn't fit into mine.

I'm sure I read somewhere else that it is OK to take boots on the plane, but I can't find it now.

NickyJ,

Did those boots come off the ark? My 10 year old size 12 Sallys weigh 4kg.
latest report
musher, possibly maybe that is why they were a good price LOL.

Weighed hubbies new ones and they are 4.2kg same as my size 6s (bought at same time as hubbies originals).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy