Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pool wear in Val d'Isere?

Poster: A snowHead
Good morning, everyone. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum or has been covered before (I have searched but couldn't find it).

So ... very straightforward question: are speedos required for men in the swimming pool that's included on the lift pass? I'm sure someone here will have the answer!

Many thanks Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

So ... very straightforward question

Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, Puzzled Isn't it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowmum123, what?
Quote:

are speedos required for men in the swimming pool that's included on the lift pass?

Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, I take it you know that all pools in France are legally required to enforce a "speedos only" rule?

That said, they don't seem too fussed in Tignes, don't know about Val.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh dear. Embarassed Just an innocent request as to what our family might need to pack. (Or think about having to buy specially. Although in that case 'mistrusting all activities that require new clothes' might come into play and we could just abandon the idea!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevomcd, I know, bloody daft.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevomcd,
Quote:

they don't seem too fussed in Tignes

Sounding hopeful, then ... Does anyone actually use the Val pool and know? (It looks nice in the pictures, so I'd have thought someone might.) I'll have a look back later, when all the locals return from a day in the new snow!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's not a daft question, as I know that many pools in France do not like swimmers wearing shorts, but would prefer speedos or 'proper' trunks. Alas, I don't know the answer to your question about this pool.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
feef,
Quote:

It's not a daft question

Thank you! Smile What would count as 'proper' trunks, though? Would ones with an inner layer as well as the outer loose one do, do you think?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowmum123, if the rule's enforced there'll probably be trunks you can hire, if speedos aren't an item you'd normally buy. I telephoned a camp site on behalf of my son - neither he nor the 6 year old fancied speedos. I was assured they were absolutely compulsory, even in the kids paddling pool, but it turned out not to be the case, in the event. It's a less real concern in the Espace Killy in December than it is in a summer campsite, where blokes are quite likely to leap in the pool in the shorts they've been wearing all week.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
and it's a perfectly good question..... snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, Thank you. I'm not sure they'll fancy
Quote:

trunks you can hire

though!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From my memory of a long time ago men were not permitted to wear shorts in the pool in Val'd'Isere. In Bourg st. Maurice this was pointed out to us very politely at reception so there was no possibility of having to remove shorts in the pool; we bought some in the intersport over the road. The staff at the pool were very helpful and showed us how to operate the lockers, where to get changed etc. In English

It appears that women are permitted to wear whatever they want.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowmum123, Yip - absolutely valid question. I have not been to the pool in Val for sometime but speedo style were obligatory. Not sure if you could get away with the small lycra short boxer style that are very popular in France at the moment.
However in Tignes it would appear that anything goes - even surf shorts - I was there this week.
Perhaps you should send Steve Angus on a mission....
snow report
was in the pool last year and shorts are fine.

strange question though as surely packing a pair of trunks just in case isn't going to take you over your luggage capacity Puzzled
snow report
gotta ask; why speedos only rule?
snow conditions
We've been in the pool at Val many years ago. I remember it well, 'cos there were communal showers next to the pool and one exceedingly curvy French woman insisted on standing under the shower next to me, then rolled down her cossy and proceeded to lather her breasts.

Happy days.
ski holidays
Dr John, it's to do with keeping the pool clean. Shorts are/can be worn out and about and get mucky. Speedos only worn in the pool (you'd be daft to wear them elsewhere).
ski holidays
dobby, That was the reason I was given, but then why does the same rule not apply to women?
snow report
Quote:

why does the same rule not apply to women?

it does. Women wouldn't be allowed to wear baggy shorts and a bikini top, in a pool which enforces that rule.
ski holidays
Women with baggy bottoms aren't allowed Toofy Grin
latest report
The pool in val is lovely. But the lift pass only entitles you to one free swim. After that you have to pay and its not cheap. I seem to think its about 6 euros each.
ski holidays
Claude B, if only

binkacat, that's cheap. my local pool is £6.50
latest report
Shorts were allowed when I was there in March but to be safe I would pack speedos if you have them. Only one free trip with 6 day ski pass, then you have to pay and if you want to get into the chill zone where the sauna, hot tub and steam room are you have to pay extra. Communal shower in the middle of main corridor is a bit stupid, difficult to was yourself properly. That said, the whole place is very nice, big pool and very nice shallow pool area with jets and all sorts of other interesting stuff.
ski holidays
Not related to Val, but years ago I was skiing in Alp D'Huez, and we all went to the pool one evening. No speedos, but this wasn't a problem - the bloke behind the desk rummaged around in a tub, pulled out a sightly damp, particularly retro pair, and hired them to be for 1 euro. After the swim I handed them back to the bloke at the desk, only for him to (you guessed it) toss them straight back in the same tub he'd got them out of! Shocked
snow conditions
In my limited experience, even those pools which ban shorts do allow the boxer style trunks - as long as they are skin tight, and if you go somewhere where the rule applies, you will probably find a few sports shops nearby stocking appropriate attire.

The funny thing about this rule is that it applies to (some) outdoor pools as well, even though they must be subject to bird droppings, wind blown debris and the like, but we've had that discussion before.
snow report
What about hats? The Spa in Bad Gastein (when I was there) insisted everyone wear one of those rubber swimming cap things in the pool. I've still got mine 17 years later - one day it may come in handy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you, everyone, for your help. (Sorry, I was out and not here to respond as it came flooding in.) I suspect we'll just pack our normal togs, and see how we get on. I'd picked up it was only one free entry, and that may well be enough. I hope it's not rubber hats, though ... yuk, used to hate the things. (And they didn't even keep your hair dry.)
snow report
Meribel started a budgie-smugglers only rule two seasons ago, if this was just a rule they previously ignored then it does seem to be getting observed more.
latest report
One important fact that you have all overlooked and it is a very sorry tale if you get it wrong. I will tell the tale of woe so you don't make the same mistake.

Last year we were staying at an accomadation in St Sorlin D'Arves that had a swimming pool, well after a hard day shredding the slopes, i decided to go for a relaxing swim.

I put on my Speedos as required by pool rules, and because i have lost four stone in weight and also now fitness train three times a week i have turned into a bit of a poseur ( aged 47 sad eh!! )

So i struts out pool side and nonchanantly walk the length of the pool eyeing up the young mums and waving and smiling at the kids

The next thing i know, there is mass hysteria and screaming and the pool empties like a scene from Jaws. All of a sudden the Pool is empty and i am standing pool side all alone, in the distance i can hear sirens.

"WTF is going on" i think to myself

As i turn to walk out i catch a glimpse of myself in a pool side mirror.

To my horror i realise the first S and last S on my trunks has worn away!!!!!!!!!!

Morale of the story ALWAYS WEAR ARENA Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy BOOM BOOM
latest report
Definitely not allowed swimming shorts with pockets. Tight shorts sans pockets yes, but not the board type ones you can wear all day and store your hands, keys, hankie and other shitty stuff.

Quite sensible of the frenchies tbh.
snow report
I would have thought being Val d'Isere then Prada would be OK whatever the design (Speedos, swim trunks, shorts)
snow conditions
marcellus, Laughing Laughing [potter, potter, rummage, rummage] No, definitely not Prada. Sad
ski holidays
sanman wrote:
The Spa in Bad Gastein (when I was there) insisted everyone wear one of those rubber swimming cap things in the pool.

Never seen that myself and i've been quite a few times.
snow conditions
snowmum123, Anything in Val so long as its Jack Wills wink
latest report
snowmum123 wrote:
marcellus, Laughing Laughing [potter, potter, rummage, rummage] No, definitely not Prada. Sad

how about an Eastern European copy... ie Plada?
snow report
Timbobaggins, your bad spelling reminds me of Newport where a mob attacked the house of...... a paediatrician.
snow report
Not being funny, but who is going to wear their board shorts all day long in Val D'Isere at this time of year anyway?!? Unless I wanted frozen nads mine would be neatly folded in my suitcase, only to appear for the sole purpose of swimming!
snow conditions
Gainz, blimey at your pool prices. £1.80 here.

But it is grim up north. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy