Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oh, YEAH, it's going to snow tonight.

Poster: A snowHead
For us ' LOCAL PEOPLE', first snow of the winter. Summer is dead, except for those of us whom have very organised 'other-halfs' who are booking our holidays in the sun.

Glitch in the Matrix. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you mean 'rain tonight'. It is still pretty warm. Sad. Maybe on Wednesday night?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowline supposedly around 3000m, so I suppose it's snowing somewhere. Hopefully up on the glaciers, just about. Certainly not in Chamonix at 1000m though! Chucking it down at the moment.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, Is the Tignes Glacier closed now until November?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grande Motte has been open since October 1st... will be there on and off most of next week doing a piece on the GB Children's Team that's training there from Saturday, before heading for 2 Alpes and the Mondial.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, Thanks, Tignes.net gives the impression that the Glacier is closed from October 1st!

Quote:
Glacier opennin is on 1st october
The Grande motte Glacier is open till 1st october, the Espace Killy area will open on 26 november
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://meteo.chamonix.com/MetPreE.php3

says

2700m but in my experience they are usually a few hundred meters low on the prediction - it does however say getting colder!

What was all that on the Radio this morning about the coldest winter in the UK this year since the 60's? have we reached a Solar Minimum? is the Gulf Stream moving?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A bus (almost) full of our Welsh children are heading for Tignes this Friday for a training camp. How much of the day will they be able to ski before the slush! ? Any predictions for the weather?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Huge change in weather here last few days. Won't be long now. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The mountain folk will advise you to keep a stash in the bank. France had disastrously late winters in the late 80s/1990.

The ski season doesn't always start according to the timetable. In those years it was sometimes droughtville until February.

People like to be well prepared with their boots, though!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NorthWestFace wrote:

What was all that on the Radio this morning about the coldest winter in the UK this year since the 60's? have we reached a Solar Minimum? is the Gulf Stream moving?

North Atlantic Oscillation is the key word. I'm no expert I'm afraid, but from what I can gather sea temperatures seem to have a big influence on the location of large areas of high pressure close to Britain. If the highs are in the right position they can block the milder south westerly winds. The majority of our weather will then be northerly and easterly winds, which are both cold directions. It seems the long term models are pointing towards just that kind of winter as most forecasters are pointing to an average or below average winter (even an average winter will be significantly colder than recent years). Hopefully there will be an expert along in a second to tell us what's really happening. Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds good anyway!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lager, said
Quote:

Hopefully there will be an expert along in a second to tell us what's really happening.

All together now very loud. SKANKY!

snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish wrote:
Lager, said
Quote:

Hopefully there will be an expert along in a second to tell us what's really happening.

snowHead

compres, thats your cue! Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

compres, thats your cue!

Who he?
snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Bish wrote:

snowHead

He's busy getting very technical on the UK Weatherworld Forums.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, Are you serious? Tell him we miss him! snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish, I suppose we could bombard him with PMs? Perhaps he could bring some people from UK Weatherworld with him so we have lots of metorological experts to help feed our snow news addiction?
latest report
Quote:

snow news addiction

Some snowflakes make it all the way to the Alps without me watching them all the way. OK, not many, but some. That's not addiction, but it might be very heavy dependence!

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, Are you serious? Tell him we miss him! snowHead

I did, sort of.
snow report
Chris Bish wrote:
That's not addiction,

Yes it is. The sooner you admit it, the sooner you can deal with it.
snow report
Nice one. But just look at that 2 Alpes webcam today. How can you work?? snowHead
snow report
NorthWestFace wrote:
http://meteo.chamonix.com/MetPreE.php3
2700m but in my experience they are usually a few hundred meters low on the prediction - it does however say getting colder!

Hmmm not sure about that. It didn't go below 14.5C yesterday and is now at 17.5 (at 300 meters altitude) at l'alpe d'Huez they are recording 8.5C at 2100 meters. Just looking out of the window with the binoculars there was no fresh snow below 3000 meters... just rain. Still I must be around 80km/h from Mont Blanc (can see it out of the window) and as we know from David at La Rosiere it forms its own microclimate so there can be snow down to the valley at la Rosiere and nowhere else.
snow report
 brian
brian
In Skanky's absence I shall attempt a limited explanation:

First - the NAO. This refers to the average pressure gradient between tropical high pressure (the Azores High) and polar low pressure. If the gradient is large then we say the NAO is in a positive phase, if it's smaller then it's a negative phase.

Positive phase tends to mean lots of low pressure areas crossing the UK, West to East.

Negative phase tends to mean areas of high pressure develop blocking the normal path of these lows. If the block is out to the West of the UK, then air will tend to be pulled across the UK from the North or East, ie. from the North pole or the Baltic, both very chilly snowHead However, if the block slips to the East then unfeasibly mild air is pulled over us from the tropics Sad

Historically, -ve NAO winters do tend to be good for skiing in Scotland.

For the alps, the tendency is drier and colder in the North, wetter in the South.

The met office claim that using historical data, their model of the NAO gets the sign right 66% of the time. This year they predict -ve.

Second - the Met office's dynamic model for long range forecasting. I believe this is reckoned by meteorological types to be the best there is. The Met office obviously aren't going to tell us how it works and make their money by selling its output. However, as with all long range forecasts, its accuracy is variable at best. This is currently forecasting colder, drier weather for the UK winter, ie. in line with the NAO forecast.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy