Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach & Zel for Christmas.

Poster: A snowHead
What should I expect?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renry, Don't know about Saalbach, but in Zell am See when I was there there was a Christmas Market in the pedestrianised town centre with stalls selling traditional Christmas gifts, wooden carvings etc and the occasional gluhwein. Aso on Christmas Eve the local town brass band and choir performed some traditional Austrian carols Smile

The skiing wasn't bad either (on the nearby Schmittenhohe mountain, or if the snow is poor you've got the insurance of the glacier at Kaprun snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renry, don't know about Zell, Saalbach's gorgeous. Going back for a second year (well Hinterglemm, just up the road).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach is massive of drinking outside at Christmas time!

The whole valley was in excellent festive mood. Best I have seen for Christmas, especially at Hinterglemm. Snow was also superior to Zell because it is much much bigger (with links on both sides of valley to Hinterglemm and another link to Leogang). Zell was OK but could be crowdy during the weekends and the pistes do get hammered by the large number of skiers.

This was 2003 Christmas. I stayed at Zell am See but drove around in a car. Saalbach is next to Zell and probably nearer than Kaprun.

It is a nice and memorable day trip to do a complete loop in the valley. Going anticlockwise can avoid the black slope at the Hinterglemm end.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Renry, Zell is a beautifull lakeside town, with pedestrianised areas, should be fab at xmas. Kaprun has a quaint little square that should also be nice. Beware of the crowds going up to the glacier before 10.30. A nightmare scrum on the bus if coming from Kaprun but not so bad if you get on early from Zell. They are literally 5 mins apart on the bus, in fact Zell to Kaprun is as quick as Kaprun to the glacier base lift. We found the Areitbahn godola to be the quietest uplift to slopes in Zell.

Saikee Where have you been ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys.

This will be my first trip abroad skiing and I cant wait. We are going as a family so wont be spending a vast amount of time out drinking, but hope to ski everyday. Should i stick to one ski resort? Or try a few? Can you get lift passes that cover various resorts nearby?

Also, what sort of time transfer from Salzberg airport to Zel?

And what sort of time can I expect to travel to and from skiing?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It will take about an hour and a half to get to Zell am Zee. Saalbach is about another 20 mins from Zell. The ski passes for both resorts are separate. If you stay in Saalbach you can walk to the ski lifts but in Zell you may have to get a bus as the majority of hotels are located in the town which is about a 5 min bus ride to the main lifts. I think that a couple of hotels may be closer to the lifts and others offer a courtesy bus service.

I'd definitely ski in Saalbach-Hinterglemm for a few days. The skiing is more extensive than Zell.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Renry, Kaprun and Zell are on the same liftpass. Coach transfer is 75-90 mins. The combined area has, I think, 110 kms between the 2 with about 75km in Zell alone. This could be enough for the week. There is decent off piste at both if you know where to go but should you require steepr stuff the go to Saalbach.

If you are with the family and there are any nervous skiers, or any who need a confidence building start to the holiday the there is the world finest run for this purpose. Take the Areitbalm gondola from Schuttdorf up to the first station, get out and get onto the Glocknerbahn 4 man detachable chair and ski down piste no 1 to the chair again. VERY wide, tree lined gentle blue with a lovely constant slope. I have a special affinity to this slope as its where my kids learnt to ski Very Happy snowHead .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
repeated message deleted

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 20-10-05 18:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman,

Been away working in Iran and then off for a 3 week holiday in Europe. No skiing in summer, just motorcycling.

Going to St Anton in late Feb and thinking of going to Sella Ronda (Italian Dolormites) for the second week.

My brother has two young sons and can only go during the mid term breaks in Norway. They have tried France, Austria and a bit of Italy. They concluded Austria is the best (less people, good infrastructure, inexpensive) and that is why we are off to St Anton next year. They could have gone for Zell/Saalbach.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Renry, Kaprun and Zell are on the same liftpass. Coach transfer is 75-90 mins. The combined area has, I think, 110 kms between the 2 with about 75km in Zell alone. This could be enough for the week. There is decent off piste at both if you know where to go but should you require steepr stuff the go to Saalbach.

If you are with the family and there are any nervous skiers, or any who need a confidence building start to the holiday the there is the world finest run for this purpose. Take the Areitbalm gondola from Schuttdorf up to the first station, get out and get onto the Glocknerbahn 4 man detachable chair and ski down piste no 1 to the chair again. VERY wide, tree lined gentle blue with a lovely constant slope. I have a special affinity to this slope as its where my kids learnt to ski Very Happy snowHead .

Thanks Frosty, very helpfull. Also thanks to the rest who have offered advice on this. I really am rather excited about this first trip abroad skiing. I keep looking at various websites on the region but nothing is as detailed as peoples experinces.

Thanks Again wink

Renry

Any more info' greatfully recieved. Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Renry, One very popular apres ski bar in Zell is called Crazy Daisy. I think the owners are Swedish and it has a good international mix of customers. They even have their own website here
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Renry, I've had a few good nights in Crazy Daisy's, from what I can remember!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hayley t wrote:
Renry, I've had a few good nights in Crazy Daisy's, from what I can remember!

Now thats what I like to hear he he Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With all this mild weather kicking about at the moment should I be worried about the ski conditions for my trip to zel on Dec 17th Puzzled
snow conditions
Renry,
Weather at the moment will have no effect one way or the other on snow in December usually. With the shortening of the ski season over the years snow in December is no longer guaranteed at all levels but with a glacier at Kaprun I would sit back relax and hope it snows late Nov early dec to get optimal conditions in Zell.
snow conditions
/ fingers crossed
latest report
Renry, this is a bit of a lengthy 2-part snoozer, but if you want a little anticipatory reading on Salzburgerland from a Yankee perspective here it is. Very lovely region. Saalbach and Zell am See are beautiful.

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=446&mode=headlines
snow conditions
thats a good read, ty lucky33,
latest report
Tis indeed a nice trip report. Thanks for pointing it out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy