Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres needed from Geneva to Val d'Isere?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm a bit confused and need some advice, as usual.

I've booked a A6 Avant or similar from Sixt Geneva (French side) but they're now telling me that they can't guarantee that the car will have winter tyres.

The Swiss side does guarantee winter tyres, but the price is double and it would be cheaper to buy a car!!!!!

The question is - is the car likely to come with winter tyres and also would it be dangerous to myself and others if I don't have them?

I don't want to take unnecessary risks but I also don't want to be demanding what might not be needed.

Thanks in advance for any help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JackAbroad, you need them irrespective of cost IMO. either that or you'll be skidding all over the place or putting chains on/off from Moutiers onwards. In true French style they have failed to make it mandatory to fit winter tyres unlike CH, D and A in which case I assume the French hirers won't put them on. I'd book with others or insist that they fit them if it was me. My A4 fully laden is fully planted on winter tyres, without it feels like Bambi on ice......I'm having my winter tyres/ wheels fitted Tuesday and leaving for the Alps Thursday. Irrespective of what the French law says I'd not be driving up from Moutiers without them if it was me and my family.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Markymark29.

I don't care about the cost but neither Hertz or Sixt will guarantee that the car will have winter tyres. Hertz have charged me 159 euros of winter tyres (which is fine) but can't guarantee 100%.

I don't want to take the risk, but can't find anyone else able to offer a similar car with winter tyres!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm pretty sure they will have them fitted for the season Wink If fitted they wont be taking them off till spring anyway
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JackAbroad, are you sure the Swiss quote is double?? Are you comparing a CHF quote vs a Euro one???

the past two weeks it's been chains AND snow tyres to get up to Val.....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, and at one point was compulsory chains on from Albertville Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's so annoying - one person at Sixt has told me (over the phone) that winter tyres WILL be provided and she promised to email me to confirm.

I waited for a few days for the email but nothing came. When I called them again to ask for the written confirmation, they said that there must have been a mistake as they can't be guaranteed.

I really don't want to end up sliding all over the road and injuring myself or anyone else.

It's SO SO SO irresponsible of Sixt.

I'm sort of hoping that they're just being cautious and that in reality most cars will have winter tyres at that time of year.

Ps - the Swiss side of Sixt would like to charge me over GBP 2500 for two weeks for the Audi A6 Avant or Merc equivalent. That's 1000 pounds more than I've pre-paid with them. That's a lot for a car for two weeks, especially as we might hardly use it when in Val d'Isere.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JackAbroad, have you looked into a transfer company? I used this company recently for Geneva to Val and back again. http://www.europetransfer.com/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, a bit of an odd way to do an introduction Smile

Hello snowheads,

Could you not ask Sixt if you could swap cars in Chambrey or Annnecy? Having hired from Geneva in the past, you often end up with anything but what you booked if your going for a decent specification rental car. I'd say you need at least chains, can they supply them at the hire desk? Not million miles away in Valloire I encountered the army digging the road clear (in March!) yet not a single "snow chain" sign had be folded down en-route! (Scribbled HERE).

To keep the costs equal, why not rent lesser car (Astra estate or what not) from the Swiss side with confirmed winter tyres, if you feel you need them? You "can" get about with just chains, it's just the winter tyres stop you faffing about stopping when you find that cleared piece of Tarmac and suddenly the chains sound like jack hammers above 15mph!

Mind you my own work car has winter Pirellis on in England Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Andrew e and Kitenski.

I live in Moscow, have studded winter tyres on my car here and enjoy driving in the snow but I would never risk driving in ice/snow in Europe without the proper tyres.

I booked the car very early so got quite a good deal so I will turn up and see what happens. In the meantime I will do as suggests by Andrew and see if there's a Sixt office that I could change the car at to get winter tyres. I'll also ask them if they sell/rent/provide chains.

Why is nothing simple when it comes to skiing holidays?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JackAbroad,
Quote:

Why is nothing simple when it comes to skiing holidays

Like we all know its in the detail, and clearly you are planning ahead so thats great, unfortunately the car hire companies in my experience rely on stuff like this to exploit people via the uncertainty etc, thats why I now travel to resorts that are easily accessible via train.

Just a quick offer - I know a really good small private transfer guy based in Val D'Isere myself and sister have used him many times and he's very reliable............ he's got all the tickets, fully bona-fide guy and I'm sure could sort you a personal transfer each way, at a decent price. Send me a PM if you want his contact details. I'd be very inclined to ditch your car booking and claim a full refund due to their ambiguity and sit back and let someone else take the pain, do you really need all that hassle? In bad weather that journey ain't a pleasant one behind the wheel in my view.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You're paying £1250 for a rental car that you're not planning to use when you're there!!??

Private transfer for less than half that, from any number of suppliers. Hell, walk out the airport door and get in an airport taxi and ask them to drive you to Val - probably still cost less!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
in fact you could probably get a helicopter transfer for less!!

http://www.whitetracks.co.uk/Whitetracks_Helicopter_Transfers_Heli_Transfers_Heli-transfers.htm
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
£1250 for a hire car, are you being serious? WHy the hell are you going on about booking on the french side and saving money if your prepared t shell out thatmuch for a car in the first place? Why not just get one from the Swiss side which will have winter tyres on it?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JackAbroad,

As i am sure you are aware, theVenndiagram of when to use summer tyres, winter tyres and chains is not completely linked.

I.e. Chains are not a replacement for snow/ice tyres.

Last winter in conditions that any decent 4x4 with summer tyres would just about have coped, a friend's A6 Avant was entirely immobilised. Or indeed, had it been on any sort of gradient it would have been entirely mobile but uncontrollable.

Great on a wet Uk motorway apparently, entirely rubbish in the Alps.

The French side will not guarantee you snow tyres, and you may well find yourself on tyres that are great on a wet UK motorway, etc.

Chains however will help not at all on the conditions we had in Cham on Friday night, freezing rain on black ice. Nothing for chains to adhere to, nothing for summer tyres to grip. (You could not walk up our hill without snow to tread in and give grip).

Also bear in mind French cars are unlikely to have Swiss motorway vignette which makes the first part of your journey even more interesting.

For Val I would bin the hire car, it's just an inconvenience unless you're planning a safari to st Foy, etc. and book a nice private transfer in Q7 or something, of which I am sure Val will have many options

snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
We had the exact same issue with Hertz last year turned out we worried over nothing as it did end up having winter tyres. When we expressed our relief the guy advised us that they just got all their vehicles fitted with the winter ones as if it got damaged/stuck it would cost them more money in the long run anyway, so better safe than sorry. I can't advise you that they definately will have them but I can wish you good luck and not to worry too much about it..There's always the helicop ride lol
latest report
Quote:
You're paying £1250 for a rental car Shocked
That's Russian oligarchs for you wink....

But seriously, is this a wind up? It could even be cheaper for the OP to drive his own car (studded tyres and all) from Moscow.

We've never had any problems with the usual Micra/Fiesta (Focus if we're feeling flush Laughing ), complete with winter tryes and chains, from the Swiss side of GVA.
snow conditions
You're hiring an Audi/Merc and you're worried abut the extra charges. Either this is a troll, or this really is a first world problem and you need to readjust your perception of reality.
latest report
Remember to tell the swiss side if you are going to a different country. !!!

but seriously, if you ask the french can provide and they are normally a lot cheaper. I recently arrived in geneve for the first time. the plane was late and i went to swiss side and was held up in queue, only to be told my car was in france, = 75 euros for 1 hour and 5 minutes late. Save 37.50 for going direct to french side. The clowns who held me up in long q at 37.50 cost had already paid for v expensive car on fr side but did not realise there was 2 bits to geneve airport and forked over about 600 sf more. The girls on the french side were wondering where they were, oops. They hirers were so offensive and rude i was disinlcined to help.
snow report
***STATUS ALERT**

It looks like you will def need chains, the local fuzz are preventing people proceeding up some mountains unless suitably equipped becasue of the massive dumps of snow.

Always hire from the French side of GVA if you are driving to France - much cheaper. Only issue is getting the car back to the drop-off (has to be on the French side if you hire from the French side) - the Swiss are not very helpful with directions and it's actually better not to follow signs for GVA but to track a road that goes to the right of the airport and past a border checkpoint beside the airport. Careful about fuel as well. There is a petrol station just beyond the airport boundary/entrance to the drop off point BUT they keep odd hours so it's best not to rely on them (also not the cheapest).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy