Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freestyle ski lessons - worth the money?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
I am an upper-intermediate skier in my late 20s. I've noticed that the piste is becoming a bit boring so I try to get in to the park every now and then. Through trial and error I've taught myself to ski switch, do a basic 180, but that's about it. I'd like to learn to do rails and boxes and some bigger kickers. So this year I'm thinking about getting some freestyle lessons from an instructor. What I'm a bit worried about is the lessons might end up in instructor telling me "not to be afraid" (which I'm not), "just go for it" etc Very Happy I wouldn't want to waste money on that. What I actually need is some practical advice and tips. Does anyone has experience with this?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, Parks didn't exist when I got to that stage: I went off-piste.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't help about park tricks, all I ever do is end up laying a puddle of piddle and vomit mumbling for a medic . . . But from a coaching pov you need instruction on the 'lay-up' for any trick and the progression sequences to dismount . . . along with repeat,repeat,repeat,repeat,repeat,repeat, etc. Find an instructor and go watch him/her work before signing up for lessons, you'll know then if the instructor jives with your thoughts on what you need.

You're fully grown now and you have to be aware, as does the instructor, that your inertial masses are VERY different than most of the Park Rats, your fitness, flexibility and recovery times are also compromised by age. If you've past experience in gymnastics, trampoline or diving you should progress quite quickly.

Protection: obviously a helmet, but I heartily recommend as virtually compulsory are impact shorts and a back protector and if you want to go the whole hog, a D3O long sleeve t'shirt and shorts.

PS. Helicopter rides are fun only if you're not on morphine and staring at the roof Twisted Evil
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gman_lt, if you find the piste a bit boring, you may simply want to find a good coach/trainer who can get you into more fun bits of piste/off piste.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gman_lt, as with all skiing you can pick up bad habits by teaching yourself, especially if you are a little bit older than 15 (I am 30), so I would recommend starting out with some instruction. I did a Maverix day course a few weeks ago and it was absolutely fantastic (learning environment, freestyle features & teaching were all top notch). I learnt far more than I expected I would. Just try not to get frustrated if you don't get something first time, it will take some practice.

http://www.maverix.org/categories/Courses-by-Type/Ski/

Other than that, Hemel do a little bit of informal freestyle coaching on a Friday in the evening (6-30 to 8-30 and 9 to 11) and some on Thursdays.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses! Yeah, I realize that I'm not the youngest in any park, but does that really mean it's over for me? Smile I hope not..
I'm not trying to become a pro or smth, just to spice up my skiing a little bit
Very Happy I'm also aware of the risks and I always wear protection (helmet and back protector). However, I'd say my fitness is ok, I do sports all my life (although no gymnastics), ride sportsbikes, jetskis etc., so I'm fairly coordinated. I've had my share of various injuries, but somehow that doesn't seem to stop me.. Confused thanks God, I still haven't seen the roof of the helicopter..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, instruction for freestyle is worth the money," it's all in the pop"
you'll gain confidence as well as being encouraged to do things you wouldn't normally do, defo try it, it will help out when you ski off piste and start hucking rocks and stuff, you'll have the bottle to do it and know you're going to nail it
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some instructor's idea of a freestyle lesson is exactly what you've described, "go for it" etc. While that can be good encouragement, a lesson should involve building skills and putting them together with a progression that leads to achieving new tricks, which is how I teach it. If you're going anywhere near Meribel then let me know, otherwise just try to speak to the instructor before/when booking the session to get an idea of how they would run it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
simon_bates wrote:
If you're going anywhere near Meribel then let me know, otherwise just try to speak to the instructor before/when booking the session to get an idea of how they would run it.

It's Mayrhofen this year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gman_lt, Yes when done properly, There are lots of little things that can help with your freestyle skills, unfortunatley at the end of the day all the advice is useless if you don't have the marbles to "Go For it"

Close to home you could try http://www.salomongromcamps.co.uk/ top class coaching and advice that will go far beyond just try it. Excellent advice and seriously nice coaches

In mayrhofen itself Get in touch with Gavin Lermouth below top bloke he does boarding but normally has a ski coach to. If not he can probably put you in touch with someone.

http://www.definitioncamps.com/ NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes. Go to the British Freeski camp for a week in the summer (this year it was at Saas Fee). if you can take two weeks, spend a week on the Warren Smith Academy first (at the same place). Worth it, lots of fun. Proper instruction, great atmosphere, and you'll learn a lot. They take a technical approach with demos, video and technique including trampoline training - rather than just saying "go for it!". Not pricey, either.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy