Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland over Christmas...staying in the Trossachs...where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
We'll be spending Christmas in the Trossachs, near Callander. I'm wondering whether it is worth trying to fit in a day's skiing - and if so, where? Glencoe looks to be the closest, followed by Nevis and then Glenshee. Google maps suggest Glencoe is about an hour and a quarter from Callander, just over 50 miles - this sounds optimistic to me on Scottish A roads? Glenshee is quite a lot further and less direct.
We'd need to hire kit, and as we're all beginners/early intermediates I'm not keen to spend a lot of time and money if the terrain & conditions are not suited to us.
Also, if the weather looks good and the snow is ok - are the scottish resorts likely to be very busy over the Christmas week?
Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glencoe is the closest, but it's a long drive. I was up there in March, couldn't be bothered driving. The roads were very poor with so many potholes and shocking surfaces. Glencoe you can hire all your stuff.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the drive to glencoe is normally pretty quick, it wont take you much more than 1hr 30 from callendar unless you drive at 40 all the way, it is a 60 limit most of the way... the terrain is a bit harder but if the conditions are good then it's worth it, or another 45 mins gets you to nevis range.
You can hire skis/boots at all the scottish resorts as for being busy it's not usually that bad over christmas and the west coast is usually quieter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glencoe's your best bet if its snow has held, its on the west so that little bit warmer than Glenshee. Conditions should suit beginners in your group, some gentle pomas and rope tows after you get off the access chairlift.

If you are going, either go early or leave it till after lunch. Queues for hire kit are enormous in the morning. There are places on the way advertising hire so you could maybe skip queues that way. As far as getting there it should be about what google maps suggests unless you drive like my father or get stuck behind a lorry Smile

I've always found the Glencoe crowd the most easy going of the Scottish areas, nice atmosphere.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2.5 hours gets you to Cairngorm

Glencoe os my favourite but dont knwo how the snow will be.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glencoe will be the closest, but it's only another 45 mins up to the Nevis Range. Watch out for deer, especially once you're through Tyndrum; there's loads in Glencoe and they come right down onto the roads over winter.

Same advice as above viz gear hire - the queues do build up unless you're there first thing. Also, there are 2 ticket counters, one of which is cash only. It's by far and away the quickest of the two as most people use cards. I'm not sure where Scomber is getting his ski hire from outside Glencoe, but there are no hire shops anywhere on my route up from loch lomond. There are loads in Glenshee and they're considerably cheaper too, but I've never seen anything for Glencoe. (Entirely possible I've just shot straight past them as we have our own kit). If you go for the Nevis Range, there's some decent places in Fort Bill to hire kit.

Agree that Glencoe is a pretty chilled day out - full of friendly glaswegians mostly, not the dour dundee lot at Glenshee Madeye-Smiley

There's a facebook page for Glencoe where they post the ski conditions up very regularly. Tends to be prone to high winds (like all scottish 'resorts'!) so if it's at all windy, check first.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mgrolf, call ahead with your measurements and they will reserve your kit for you. Then you'll just need to pay and pick it up when you arrive Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wadgebeast wrote:

Agree that Glencoe is a pretty chilled day out - full of friendly glaswegians mostly, not the dour dundee lot at Glenshee Madeye-Smiley

And some people from Balloch Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For complete beginners I'm not sure Glencoe would be your best day out. If the weather is bad you can try Xscape Braehead in Glasgow (the Fridge) which is closer than all the resorts to the Trossachs. (about 30 miles) I've never been there but it might suit complete beginners, particularly if the weather/snow conditions are not too good.

At the moment the snow is starting to get to a good level, but it might thaw out and there are some high winds forecast right up to Xmas day. It does not look brilliant weather yet up to Xmas, although there may be the odd day/afternoon/hour in which you can take a good photo and post it up here to make it look like it was like that all day.

However, keep watching the weather forecast, it changes quite frequently.

If you have no kit at all, then bear in mind the Xscape prices include full kit and sometimes lessons which make it more economical than the ski resorts for beginners with no kit.

After Xmas it may be a different story altogether.

snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wadgebeast wrote:
I'm not sure where Scomber is getting his ski hire from outside Glencoe, but there are no hire shops anywhere on my route up from loch lomond. There are loads in Glenshee and they're considerably cheaper too, but I've never seen anything for Glencoe. (Entirely possible I've just shot straight past them as we have our own kit). If you go for the Nevis Range, there's some decent places in Fort Bill to hire kit.

I was sure I'd seen a sandwich board near the green welly. Maybe I'm thinking of Glenshee.

Should say - any complete beginners might find the access chairlift at Glencoe a baptism of fire. A workmate brought his brother in law (never skied before) and his exit at the top was akin to bambi on ice, poor guy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glencoe is just over 1hr from Callander (where are you staying in relation to Callander?) Cairngorm/Glenshee are similar driving time of around 2hours. Nevis is about 1.75hrs.
X-Scape is about an hour too, so wouldnt say it is closer than Glencoe. There is no hire between Callander and Glencoe. Some hire on way to Glenshee which is hand enough to save time once at resort.
Lecht (about 2.5hrs i think) would be my suggestion for beginners due to magic carpet and the excellent slopeside facilities, failing that Glenshee (but it needs more snow). If we have had fresh snow then Glencoe suitable, but would suggest only if fresh snow, as otherwise it be hard and icy, which would not be much fun for beginners.
FWIW, given current long term forecast indications Lecht would be most likely to have fresh snow, but all resorts should still be open, esp if mid week stays as snow and not rain.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the help so far. I should clarify, the beginners have a week on snow last easter and were v comfortable on most blues at the end of the week. No skiing since though. So ideally I'm after greens and blues. A tricky access chair could be a problem, as getting off would be the first skiing in 9 months.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mgrolf, Do not go to Glencoe. Head up to Cairngorm.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, why? Is it the access chair, the likelihood of ice rather than nice easy snow? Or something else? 2 hours up to Cairngorm might be too far for some, given we're supposed to be on a nice relaxing Christmas break.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The access chair at Glencoe if fine. If the beginners are not that confident on tows or hard snow, i would avoid Glencoe unless it has fresh snow. However, if neither of the previous two statements apply, them go to Glencoe, you will not regret it. Visually the most stunning resort in Scotland and also a good mix of slopes and features that converge at same lift should you wish to take an alternative route to the beginners.
snow report
I'd say glencoe would be your best bet. Might be worth going the extra wee bit to nevis if there is a bit of fresh snow, although i think it is a bit less beginner friendly than glencoe.
Snow will probably be a bit of a lottery given that the weather seems to be warming up a bit. However they may blast the snow cannons on the beginner runs if the temperatures allow at glencoe. Best check their website before traveling up just to see what the snow conditions are like and that the lift will be running and not off because of high winds.
snow conditions
mgrolf wrote:
Thanks for all the help so far. I should clarify, the beginners have a week on snow last easter and were v comfortable on most blues at the end of the week. No skiing since though. So ideally I'm after greens and blues. A tricky access chair could be a problem, as getting off would be the first skiing in 9 months.

Ah you'll be fine if that's the case. Was just a concern for anyone who had never skied before. Plus the Clachaig Inn up the road is always worth a visit Smile
latest report
Nevis is the worst resort for beginners. The greens are right below the gondola top station and often err green rather than white! There are blues at the top and bottom but a definite red between! You do get a modernish 4-man chairlift on some of the blues though. Glencoe's uplift for the inexperienced isn't that bad but definitely not modern. Needs to be approached with an open mind and have a go attitude. Same for the downhill and the catering! Spectacular setting and there are easy runs off every lift. Glenshee would have the most terrain, it's mostly quite easy but currently needs snow. The road north of Perth has a steep and narrow ending. Definitely not a trunk A road. Cairngorm has the shiny train and quite a lot of blues but is a bit further away. The Lecht would be great, if you were west of Aberdeen! I would go where the snow is best. You won't know that until the night before. Here and winterhighland and mwis will tell you if you decide to go somewhere then.
snow report
I love the Glencoe catering! It's such a total shift away from your traditional skiing pizza / burger / spag bol and it's very reasonably priced. I know they only do scotch pies in various guises, but that's a perfect hot skiing stodge type food when matched with hot beans.

Has anyone tried the hobbit huts yet? Is there much atmosphere in the bar at night?
snow report
Tomorrow looks like the best day to go to Glencoe before Xmas. However, the snow is not quite perfect or deep enough and widespread for me. It should be fairly good for those with one week skiing experience and intermediates.

So go to Glencoe tomorrow and Braehead if you want to ski on any other day before Xmas.

This is my opinion, and plenty of other people disagree with their own cash! (or locals with annual lift passes tend to disagree)

Laughing
latest report
Just a thought, but if anyone is a bit wary on chairlifts, then they might not like the Cliffhanger, not that it's too worrying, but just that it is a single chair. Just talking from experience as I'm not keen on heights so not the best lover of chairlifts, not as bad now, having been skiing for some years now, but I don't like being on lifts on my own if I can help it (although I have been on the Cliffhanger many times). IIRC the other lift up that section is a Tbar with a steep ending section? Been a good few years since I was last at Glencoe, and trying to recall the lifts myself for taking my 5 year old up, as I wouldn't want him on the Cliffhanger.
latest report
Not sure my eight year old would like a single chair, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want her on a single chair yet. Thanks Gilly28, useful info.
Bigtipper, would love to go tomorrow but we don't get there till Saturday Sad .
I'll watch the weather and see what happens...
snow report
Sat could be the perfect day to go! Major dumpage possible Wed to Fri.
snow report
Hi, don't suppose you are staying at a place called Tigh mor?
snow report
Quote:

Hi, don't suppose you are staying at a place called Tigh mor?

Even my Gaelic is enough to know this means 'Big Hoose'! Not an uncommon name...
latest report
Glencoe is not the ideal location for very young skiers mgrolf. The Lecht is the best location for young beginners in Scotland. Sadly it is the furthest away from the Trossachs.

On the plus side it is probably less prone to high winds due to its valley location.

Luckily you could go to Snow factor and climb a hill with a sledge or a snowboard and some blades, if the winds die down. (most of the snow has melted now though) Take some suitable ice grips though! (and a helmet, as I have fallen on ice climbing these paths with a rucksack on my back and skis, and it hurt)

snowHead
ski holidays
sparkzter, Yes we are Very Happy
what...snow, Pretty good description of it, it's quite big.
latest report
mgrolf,

1. Scottish weather is somewhat unpredictable.

2. Glenshee is a bit of a hike, I omit to suggest that even weather permitting Glencoe might not be your kids liking.

3. For one day's skiing, I am not sure it's worth the effort. And I have done some fairly weird journeys to ski in my time...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure if it's the done thing or not but if anyone fancies coming to the Cairngorms for Christmas I have had a cancellation and can knock 1/3 off the published price for a holiday house in Aviemore, for Snowheads. PM me if interested.

www.holidayinaviemore.co.uk
ski holidays
mgrolf,

I have the bistro on site!! pop in and see me, I can have a chat with you! Might even buy you a beer!

Very Happy
latest report
Thankssparkzter, I'll do that Very Happy
snow conditions
Conditions at Glencoe should be good by Wed/Thurs. Solid base from today/tomorrow thaw, then fresh Tues night.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy