Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Online purchases USA to Ireland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I live in Australia but will be in Ireland next week followed by three weeks in the Alps on honeymoon:) I'm weighing up my options of buying a board in Ireland and claiming the VAT back or ordering online from the USA.

I'm wondering if Irish customs will slap Vat on once it arrives in Ireland? I'd imagine that I then would not be able to claim the vat back upon departure from the EU?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why would you not just buy in the Alps? Where you heading?
Might not be a good deal up the mountain but some of the larger sports stores in the main cities or down in the valleys would be cheaper.
Customs from US purchases seem to be pretty strict.
Congratulations on your wedding.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cubanpete wrote:

I'm wondering if Irish customs will slap Vat on once it arrives in Ireland? I'd imagine that I then would not be able to claim the vat back upon departure from the EU?

Yes, and probably duty as well as it will be over the limit of 150 EUR. Not sure about reclaiming - I doubt it however.

Getting anything bulky from the US to Europe in less than a week tends to be prohibitively expensive.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cubanpete, Yes Irish Customs are getting very good at making sure they squeeze every cent of tax they are owed in fact if every other Gov operation was as efficient at their roles as the revenue we would be living in t a Eutopia.

If you buy in Ireland and are not an Irish Resident (Traveling on a foreign pasport) you will be able to claim back the VAT 21% back on anything you purchase before you leave. You can even now get a credit card type option that is swiped every time you purchase and you then just swipe it again when you get to the airport and they credit the VAT back to you
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cubanpete, Your options in Dublin for buying are Snow and Rock in Dundrum and Great OUtdoors on Chatam Street
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If I remember correctly (and it's the same as the UK) you will pay duty of 3.9% of the cost of the hardware and VAT on the cost of the goods AND shipping + a brokerage/customs clearance charge from whoever delivers the goods to you.

As you haven't purchased the goods in Ireland, it might be a stretch to get your money back when you leave the EU but it's worth a try - you will need the gear + receipt + passport at the customs desk.

If it were me I wouldn't bet on getting the VAT back and it can work out pretty expensive to order from the US.

Goof luck
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GOOF LUCK!!!!

Proud of that one.....sorry man, what I meant to say is good kuck!! Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidhammy, Nope you pay the full Irish Tax rate on the product not just 3.9% So you will pay 21% of what the revenue things its worth! Great system!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys. Looks like importing from the US is not an option. In Australia if its under $1000 we don't pay anything. I should have got it sent here weeks ago but all my money has been going to the wedding:(

Fattes13 - Have been in contact with Snow and Rock but they have sold out of the board I want.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cubanpete, Again though, why buy in Ireland and then travel to the Alps where most of the stuff is made or sold?
If you have a specific board in mind let the snowHead collective know and there may be some suggestions, especially if you let us know where you are heading.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy