Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ortovox 3+ or Tracker 2?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a 5 year old Ortovox transceiver that I can see has been superseded by newer, 3 antenna models. I've narrowed the choice down to the newer Ortovox 3+ or the BCA Tracker 2, which is perhaps a couple of years old now.

The BCA seems to get very, very good reviews for being simple in use and effective - but not sure whether all the recommendations are from before the 3+ came out.

Any thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks altis, read those before - not very conclusive! I've seen the Facewest reviews too.

They're both good units - just wondered if one's better than the other.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Has anybody got any experience of the Zoom yet?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ooh - didn't know the zoom was available yet. Add that to the list...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
six and 2 threes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The zoom is delayed we have managed to ship a couple so far the stock should arrive in Jan.

Zoom is a scaled down version of the 3+ without the flag function, the 3+ and the Tracker 2 are very similar however the 3+ is a little easier to use with the flag function and the Tracker 2 is a little quicker on search, however the Ortovox + systems are the only units to have the find me better function where the transmit Ariel adjusts to the best plane

as dulcamara, says its siz and threes plus a little wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can get the S1+ for under £300 from www.snowsafe.co.uk (Who also have all the other units cheap) has a much better display than all of the others

Having said that all of the units mentioned are good and straight forward to use. I must admit I think the ortovox's selective transmit antenae is a great idea. Maximises your outgoing signal which can only help your chances should you ever need it. The zoom is very new and there is not a lot of experiance with it yet

Also check the harnesses they come in. For day to day wear the harness gets more use than the transceiver and needs to be comfy. The Ortovox harnesses are full enclosure, and the rounded adges of the transceiver a little more rib friendly (zoom maybe an exception). The tracker ones are more open and the square edges of the tracker a little more projecting
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all - Zoom ordered from Snowshepherd but will revert to a 3+ if the Zoom doesn't come into stock.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was looking at these two, but was also considering the Mammut element. Any idea how they compare?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy from embsay- are you looking to offload the old transceiver - if so PM me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a 3+ and find it very easy to use. Have tested it alongside the tracker and the performance of both handsets for more or less equal.

Get what you like and learn to use it...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rogg wrote:
I was looking at these two, but was also considering the Mammut element. Any idea how they compare?
At a snowHead transceiver practice last year, I tried the Tracker 2, the Ortovox 3+ and the Mammut Barryvox Pulse and I found the Mammut significantly the easiest to use. See here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80606&start=40#1901628 Don't know if that helps, but other stuff in that thread might.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Pedantica. The main reason i was looking at this model was the performance of it's big brother, but apparently simplified a bit. great price for it on sport conrad -€335 inc a BCA deploy 3 shovel and a 260cm carbon fibre probe. Might well be asking santa............
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
unless you are leading groups get the most simple to use one you can...
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
unless you are leading groups get the most simple to use one you can...

That's why I narrowed it down to the Tracker 2 and the two Ortovox devices.
latest report
From what I can see the Element is simple to use and many reviews say it has a longer range than the 3+ and tracker 2.
snow conditions
andy from embsay, I have the BCA Tracker 2 and really like it and very simple to use.......can't say anything about the Ortovox because have never used one. You are pretty local to me, you're welcome to have a look-see at it in January if you wish to meet up, we've got 2 and will be back straight after New Year and can run through it with you if you want?
snow conditions
I've had a play with the 3+ and the Barryvox. I DID find that the Barryvox sliding switch COULD end up appearing to be in the on position, but not actually on. It needed a double-check to make sure it weas correctly done.

On the other-hand, the 3+ can easily let the batteries out if you're not careful turning it off, but you only do that once Smile

In use, I found the 3+ easiest to use, but it really comes down to personal preference.
latest report
Markymark29, That's a kind offer - may well take you up on it. And if my Zoom's arrived it might be good to meet up for a practice anyway! Whereabouts are you?
snow conditions
andy from embsay, will send you a PM
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy