Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baggage advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Not sure where to post this so I'll apologise in advance if its in the wrong place

We've planned a trip to Colorado in January. Flights, car hire, lift passes and accommodation are all booked.

The thing we haven't yet booked are the ski bags on the flights.

Its looking like Its going to cost around $100 per ski bag each way. which is fine if we have to pay it.

Our airlines baggage policy says we can forfeit a piece of checked in baggage for a ski bag. maybe I should buy an extra large ski bag and put everything in it clothes and all?

I'm just wondering if anyone who has been across the pond has any cunning plans or advice in order to reduce our baggage costs?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

cheers
Dave
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
uglybat, check your cabin baggage allowance with your carrier, last year on Air Canada we were allowed 2 very decent cabin bags each, that would make it easy to then forfeit one checked bag for a ski bag.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks Sarah

Just checked we're allowed one bag of 18 kg 36 x 23 x 56 cm and one personal item laptop bag ect so might not be a bad idea Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Each airline is different. BA just takes any shape or size bag as a bag up to 23kgs. So you could just fill it with clothes if it is big enough to the weight limit or get a 2nd bag.

Need to look at the airline's website. Note is it a direct flight as there is often a 2nd flight to Colorado too which could be why the cost is so high as the transfer flights are often on smaller planes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
uglybat, Who are you flying with ? It sounds like a miserly allowance.
In cheapest economy class we normally get 1 hold bad up 23 kg + your cabin luggage. Ski carriage means buying an extra bag allowance adds $51 prepaid each way & 23 kg so we can easily get 2 pairs of skis & boots in within that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Which airline?

Most US airlines count a ski bag AND a boot bag together as one peice of luggage that can be counted in the place of a peice of regular check in luggage allowance.

Most of us put some clothing in each and wear the rest on our body. (many of us carry the boots in our hand luggage and stuff the "boot bag" with clothing instead)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
uglybat,

We routinely do this. Last year the 2 of us got 2x pairs of skis+poles plus quite a bit of kit in a double ski bag, with the weight coming out around the 18kg mark. This plus a pair of boots in our regular bag. The carry-on allowance was 1 piece at 10kg + one personal item, like a laptop, each - so our carry-on comprised a carry-on boot bag + a standard cabin-size drag-bag + laptop + small back pack.

Plenty enough for 2 weeks and all within the allowance.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks for your replies guys,

we're flying with US Airways.

we get 23kg hold baggage each and 18 kg cabin bag plus a laptop bag or purse.
If we want to take a ski bag which can consist of 1 pair ski's, poles, bindings and boots it will cost $100 each way or we can forfeit our hold baggage for a ski bag.

I'm thinking i might just carry a cabin bag on filled with 18kg and put some clothes in my ski bag and see what happens
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy