Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Grand Bornand

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know anything about this place?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ricklovesthepowder, there's loads of info - do a search. Loatie has an apartment there and Paulio visited recently. Nice place.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry, I mean Mr Piehole rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder, we skied there last March when we stayed at Miranda's place in La Giettaz which was a good spot for us to go off to different places each day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What do you want to know? we ski there for about 4 weeks each season these days so can happily answer your questions
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, Paulio is Mr Piehole ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
loatie, is there enough skiing for 3 days or will I get bored is the main question. The chalet we may choose is in Le Grand Bernard, put high on the ski slopes. Will I need just the local ski pass or would it be worth buying the pass so I can ski over in Les Clusaz as well?

Also need help in transfers. The chalet is quoting €240 return for 2 of us!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder, I think you found Vale a bit tame? I would buy the pass to La clusaz, LGB a little small for big resort skier. Skied there a lot a few years ago but coming from la Clusaz, LGB good when snowing .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cstreat wrote:
pam w, Paulio is Mr Piehole ?

Yes. See sig.

I've been loads of times (including yesterday).

It shares a lift pass with La Clusaz as long as you ask for it (if not, you'll be given the local pass by default). Not linked by lifts/pistes, you have to take a bus. I have never done this as I drive, but to be honest you don't see all that many of them...

90km ish of slopes I believe, mostly intermediate, but with a couple of "I'm not going down that" ungroomed blacks. Couple of annoying slow lifts, a very annoying 'plateau' at the top of the gondola requiring a bit of poling around.

The Chinaillon sector is basically one big wide shelf with a bunch of parallel lifts, so lots of between-the-pistes fun to be had there in good snow. There is also a 'Freeride' area from the top, marked on the piste map, where you're encouraged to drop off the back onto a big bowl of off piste. I have never done this, and as with a lot of 'naturide' stuff it's completely unclear whether this is patrolled, avalanche protected, or what? Might be a good thing to seek out if you're into that sort of thing though.

There aren't very many long thigh-shredding descents, if that's your bag. Very top to very bottom is fairly testing I suppose, but there aren't many variants on it.

I really like it more and more the more I go. I thought it was crap at first, but it's edging ahead of La Clusaz in my preferences these days.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder, surely that's enough skiing for 3 days, especially as you're going to be limited as to the distance you can go from "base" as you're meeting up with your OH for lunches.

I do "Geneva transfers" a lot - though not for money. I've also arranged taxis for others and even with 7 people in a minibus €100 return, per head, was the cheapest and that was a fair few years ago (though Les Saisies is further than LGB). If I was doing it for cash, I'd be charging quite a lot! You need a capable vehicle, be ready to hang around, do snow chains and it always seems to take hours (though that usually includes doing a supermarket shop). There are some useful suggestions about transfers on SHs, if you do a search, but for just a short trip, why not hire a car which would also make it easy to get to La Clusaz?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We went there when our youngest was 1. Hired an apartment which we shared with Sister in Law (she had offered to come with us to share child care) as she wanted to learn to snowboard. We came back and met up at lunch time. Given we were doing that and swapping around who was looking after Ellie it was perfect for us.

It met with our criteria of short transfers from Geneva where we managed to book cheap BA flights. We found the apartment rental very good value for a 3 bed apartment.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For 3 days I would just get a LGB pass, There's loads more to do than 90kms of piste suggests, especially if you like mucking about in the soft stuff. You can follow the sun all day long and there's plenty of huts and great scenery. As above the freeride zone and some of the blacks are quite challenging, the pistes are superbly groomed flattering blues and reds with a useful network of greens for learners to get around on. If you want a thighburner you can ski from the top of Lachat all the way down to LGB village a vertical drop of about 1000m. As I said we ski there about 4 weeks a season and seldom bother to go to La Clusaz any more. A much better day out is La Giettaz.
Car hire would be much cheaper, about £90 I think and the drive from Geneva is straightforward and takes 1hour 15mins.
Have a look at staying in Chinaillon which is much smaller than LGB but where all the lifts start so only a short walk to the slopes.
Where were you thinking of staying?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The apartment we hired was in Chinaillon as well, only a short walk to the lift.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
loatie, here ---->>> http://www.chaletdor.co.uk/

loatie, i looked at car hire and it works out cheaper, but then you have the added hastle of chains etc etc.

I will look at Chinaillon.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

i looked at car hire and it works out cheaper, but then you have the added hastle of chains etc etc.

that's what you pay the transfer driver for wink ; but learning to do chains really isn't rocket science. If you take a car, make sure there's somewhere to park it.
latest report
that chalet looks wonderful - for skiers. Not so great for a non skier though. Sounds as though it might be impossible to get there by car.
snow report
Pam W could be right. I think you would need a 4x4 to get there and you probably wouldn't be going anywhere in the evenings! Lovely chalet and lovely spot for skiiers though. If that's where you want to stay and haven't been before,it's probably less hassle to pay the extra and take the transfer they offer.
I can recommend La Ferme de Florent in Chinaillon, also run by a nice English couple and a bit more accessable
ski holidays
loatie, http://www.lafermedeflorent.com/index.html

Just sent an email. Looks lovely, they both do. Chalet D'or looks lovely but like you say, not sure i could get to the chalet myself, but the one listed above looks like it would.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, you should go, it looks wonderful - you'll discover a new world away from the 3V!!
ski holidays
pam w, i really didnt like the 3V earlier this year. Everywhere was the same, far to expensive, and a lot of poling, really not that well thought out in areas. I love the PDS, been 5 weeks out of my 8 on snow, but there is something about Le Grand Bornard that just makes me want to go there!

Chalet D'or looks lovely, and we are both happy with it, the transfer is the only snag.

La Ferme De florent is lovely, ski in/out but also has bars and shops from the chalet door. I think its a straight choice between the 2 chalets, just not sure which to go for!
latest report
I'm sure you'll enjoy either of those places. They both look great, and the transfer costs won't be very different, will they? For your wife, having somewhere to pop out, maybe just for a coffee and a potter, would be good. A short trip like this is the ideal opportunity to discover somewhere new - quality is more important than quantity. wink
ski holidays
Not much to add to what loatie, (Hi) and others have said - we'll be there in a weeks time, our 7th visit so as you can guess, we love it. Chiniallon is where we stay, self catering in Les Outalays which is ski in/out when there's enough snow. Out of those two chalets I'd be going for the Ferme De Florent based on location.

If you fancy self catering this place is next door to where we'll be and always looks fab http://www.lafermedeserge.com/
snow conditions
LGB has a great boarder cross track as well. Watch out for the double hump. I flew off the first one feeling very pleased with myself, only to realise I was about to go slamming into the face of the next one. Ouch!
latest report
MazDave, If possible, please could you show me exactly where this La Ferme de Florent chalet is. Im on google earth and maps and cant find it anywhere!
snow report
You could definately drive yourself to the FDF in a hire car with winter tyres. They do a great job keeping the roads clear and I've never had to use chains even last weekend when there was tons of snow.
As long as your main priority isn't clocking as many miles of piste as possible, I'm sure you will enjoy LGB as it's quite different to the big resorts.
For what its worth, last xmas we went as a family of 8, 3 of whom were new to skiing. We wanted a lovely old chalet as our appt only takes 4 in comfort.We had almost the same choice to make as you have. The newbies were very glad to be able to walk to shops bars restaurants etc
snow conditions
loatie, Brilliant, thank for the help. Still aweaiting the email reply from them, they will be out on the slopes is pressume so may not get a reply until later. Ive matched up google earth, maps and pictures of the chalet and i think ive found exactly where it is. I really hope they have room now as it is simply the best of both worlds. Ski in/out for me, and also the choice than Anna can leave the chalet and go for a walk if she wishes etc.
ski holidays
Yes its only 20yds from the piste. When were you hoping to go? Happy to show you around if we are there at the same time although Cathy and Keith at the FDF are also happy to spend some slope time with guests
latest report
loatie, Tuesday 15th January until Saturday 19th. Ski days will be the wednesday, thursday and friday, also hope to ski the tuesday and saturday morning though. This was one of the pictures that helped me to locate the place, cant quite get much closer to the piste really!!!

http://www.lafermedeflorent.com/Pictures/Chalet20.jpg

Are you out there when i am? Im just really hoping they can fit us in for the 4 nights.

One other question, on this piste map, http://mappery.com/maps/Le-Grand-Bornand-Ski-Trail-Map.jpg if you zoom in to next to the chalet, it says a "6 person" chair was due to be planned for 2008. Did it get installed or not?

Thanks, Rick.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rick,

Yes that's the new Floria lift. The latest map is here: http://www.legrandbornand.com/images/plans/plan-pistes-ski-alpin-2012.jpg

Floria is the quickest way up and across to the Maroly area (my favourite bit) which has a couple of really good food stops (Terre Rouge for the view - Chalet Maroly for the Quichiflette)

It's a nice gentle tree lined run back down to the FDF from there too.
snow report
Unfortunately we'll miss you as going jan 5-12th. But if you ski the Maroly area in the morning then come round to the slopes above Chinaillon in the afternoon, you will have the sun all day (assuming there is any) Its nice to have the sun late pm when it can be very cold in shady places.
ski holidays
MazDave, cheers. I wasnt sure if it had been out in or not from the map I had

The blue run from the top of Les Anne's chair, what's that like? Looks like it could be fun!
snow report
The Col des Annnes blue run is wide gentle open blue - usually pretty quiet in my experience - it's a long old chair ride out there but it's a pretty spot with a little isolated church near the end of the run.

The blue run, La Duche, down to get to the Annes chair is one run that is I've found more tricky than blue usually suggests...
ski holidays
Absolutely gutted, La Ferme De Florent has just taken a booking for the week, no room left Sad

I think we will go with Chalet D'Or, still a lovely place but positioned higher up the slopes and not near anything for Anna.

Does anyone know if any other chalets that are similar to La Ferme in terms of proximity to lifts, bars, town etc?
ski holidays
Grand Bo is lovely. Took my now husband there for his first ever ski trip. Conditions were ropy, but we still had a great time. Even though all the blacks, some reds, and the free ride are were all closed, there was enough variety for a week. Especially since there's different orientations of the pistes, so you can mix up the snow conditions quite a lot.

Starski were excellent for lessons. Etienne is about the coolest person I've ever met - ski instructor in the winter, Harley Davidson guide to Death Valley in the summer! Mat was hooked on skiing after a few days with Etienne.

We were at Ferme du Soleil, up at the top of Outalays. Beautiful chalet, but would be totally unsuitable for a non-skier as you can't really walk there (they take your luggage up on skidoo). I'd like to go to grand Bo again but I'd stay in chinaillion proper where you can wander around the shops and bars.

Col des Annes is a nice run, but as suggested, Duche gets loads of sun so is difficult it was patchy by the end of the week I was there! Maroly was my favourite area, tho Piste 2000 from the top of Lachat was pretty nice too.

I can't remember exactly, but we got a taxi to and from geneva and it was at least €100 each way, so your quote sounds reasonable.

We intend to go back at some point, but it's 3V for us again this year.
ski holidays
Don't panic Rick. How about La Bournerie? ski in and out for you and steps down to village for Anna. Authentic old place nice atmosphere and good food.
If you would consider a hotel the L'Alpage is a nice little place with good food and the lady owner speaks good English.
If you go with Chalet D'Or Anna can get the bubble down to LGB for shops etc and many people use the greens around there for walking anyway.
I don't know any other top end chalets like the two you've looked at but have you looked at the accommodation on the LGB website?
latest report
loatie, i think we will go with Chalet D'Or. I sent an email yesterday afternnon and still waiting for a reply, but fingers crossed!

La Bournerie is a hotel i think not a chalet?

Ive looked on the LGB website, some info on there but not great to be honest.
ski holidays
Just come across this in the T&C. rolling eyes

9. Access to Chalet.

You are specifically reminded that the Chalet is located above the limit of snow cleared roads. We advise use of the cable car for normal access to the Chalet. The cable car operates between the hours of 09:00 and 17:00. Outside of these hours the chalet is considered isolated and access is only on foot or snowshoes. Your travel arrangements should be made to allow your arrival & departure during the normal cable car operating hours.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, yeah ours was like that - sounds like it's in a very similar place. I wouldn't recommend it for a non-skier. It felt quite isolated, even when we were both skiing all day. It's nice to have the option to pop out for a drink etc, even if you don't use it! The Bournerie would be a better option, but it is a hotel rather than a chalet. Very good restaurant there.
ski holidays
We had a totally unplanned day at LGB a couple of years ago - we were heading for La Clusaz but the queue of traffic was enormous so we took the road off to the left that took us to LGB instead.

...and what a pleasant surprise it was. A really nice little village, and some good skiing to be had, not too busy apart from the initial queue for the lift pass. There is/was a beginners 'park' area too, with baby-sized jumps for a bit of fun without risking limbs.

Not a huge area, but more extensive than I had imagined, although 3 days would be just about OK for me on the LGB area pass - depending on the price difference and bus timetable I might be inclined to try a day in La Clusaz personally.
snow report
loatie, hi loatie i wonder if you could help me I'm about to book short ski trip to LGB in late march I'm bit scared lack of snow? tho i in know way think you control the weather as you are a regular maybe you could have a better idea of conditions?
many thanks kurt.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy