Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long time lurker!

Poster: A snowHead
Well as the title says I've been lurking on these forums for probably a couple of years on and off, and eventually got around to creating an account in Feb this year when I booked up my first ski trip, so, hello to all!

Figured it was about time I participated and made a contribution as a return for all the invaluable info I've gotten from here - amazing how many snowy google searches point you back here.

Brief into - as mentioned above first trip was in March this year to Val'Thorens, after a drunken agreement with couple of mates to actually sort a skiing hol instead of just talking about it. Week later was asking them to stump up the cash as I'd gone and booked it wink Best decision I've made! Had a few hour lesson at Xscape in Castleford, and more in VT. Progressed from having 6 inch thigh bruises on first day to being able to get down most of the reds without looking like an out of control freight train by the end of the week so was happy enough with that! Heading back there in 17 days - not that I'm counting or anything - having spent most of the year craving to go back, with the VT webcam open in a google tab. GF thinks I'm mental but she "likes the sun" so Laughing

Would have loved to have attended the PSB after reading so much about them - snow booze and people who are mad for both sounds like it should be illegal - but couldnt get the time off work Mad and managed to get it off for the BB dates but only after it was fully booked so a bit of a nightmare all round. EoSB is looking very tempting though, again depending on work! Any reason not to come?! Will only have had 2 weeks on snow so don't want to look like a numpty, 25 y/o pride and all haha!

Anyway will no doubt have a ton of questions in next week or two, so will try not to bore you all too much!

Cheers!

P.S. Any advice on snow tyres for a Landrover would be awesome wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
N0rthernMonkey, I hoped it was going to be a scatological post, but welcome
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
N0rthernMonkey wrote:
after a drunken agreement with couple of mates to actually sort a skiing hol instead of just talking about it.

A word of warning - that's exactly how I started in 1985 and I'm about £100k and 3 wives down on the deal Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I'm about £100k and 3 wives down on the deal

You have a very good lawyer
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
N0rthernMonkey, welcome....

Sorry, nobody on here who can help you with "LanDrovers"... wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
N0rthernMonkey, Keep the faith! *front-fisted-salute-soul-style* Cynic is understating the costs of addiction!!!!!!!!!!! Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
N0rthernMonkey, welcome to snowHeads! Just sign up for the EoSB - NOW! Look forward to meeting you then. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You're on a slippery slope Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
N0rthernMonkey, First rule of landRovers, we don't talk about . . .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
N0rthernMonkey, You will have a great time on the EoSB, my first one was actually my second week in the mountains so you will have twice as much experience as I did!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
N0rthernMonkey, I also started skiing recently and went on my first holiday in April. I've already booked two holidays for next year and I'm scheming on how to get away with a third, possibly the EoSB.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers for the welcomes!

Grammar policed on first post, nightmare Twisted Evil

red 27, I can already see how it might have that effect, been craving to be back since the plane took off out of Chambéry in March tbh.

The EoSB is looking severely more tempting now as I've now got that week off work Toofy Grin Assuming I can tolerate the hating for us folk from the wilds of the North of course!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
N0rthernMonkey wrote:
Cheers for the welcomes!

the EoSB is looking severely more tempting now as I've now got that week off work Toofy Grin Assuming I can tolerate the hating for us folk from the wilds of the North of course!

You'll probably be better off on a SCGB trip Laughing

Welcome to Snowheads.

I've not dared to break the news to my family (esp children) but I'm trying to wrangle it to make the EoSB as well...My first Bash. Also a little scared as although I now live in Somerset I'm actually a Yorkshireman. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, Cynic hasn't been taking it easy! 100K, 27 years = 3.7K a year. That is some commitment. Mind you given Cynic managed 1 wife every 9 years I don't know whether I am ahead or behind as I have still got the same one after 14 years.

N0rthernMonkey, All sorts welcome here. One of the benefits of being an online forum is that you can be who you want to be, even someone from up North if that is what you want!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
N0rthernMonkey, What sort of LANDROVER do you have? 90 / 110 or Disco / Freelander? I've been very happy with Pirelli Scorpion Snow and ice tyres on my Disco. But try a new thread as you are likely to get a reply from an expert rather than just simple me
snow report
N0rthernMonkey, JohnHSmith, Masque, it's Land Rover, not Landrover.

N0rthernMonkey, What have you got? If you say a Gaylander, I'll just laugh.

JohnHSmith, I have a set of Pirelli Ice & Snow too, they're pretty good.
snow conditions
2 weeks experience is fine for the EoSB.
All the key meeting places around the mountain are accessible via blue runs and there are groups going at just about every different pace (that applies to skiing or drinking Wink )
ski holidays
admin, I was going to suggest a new PSB - Piste Seasoned Bash, but it occurred to me that only Bootsie Babe and I might qualify....well maybe Geepee too...
snow conditions
Chasseur, Laughing Laughing Class idea... I love it!!

N0rthernMonkey, Corker of a first post Laughing Laughing Welcome! You did, however, fail to include any mention of helmets in your first post otherwise it would have been a 10 from me... wink

Don't give it a second thought re: the EoSB... you'll fit in just fine. Toofy Grin

Ditto sequoiaboard, get clicking... then tell them once it's a fait accompli Oh, and add some diamonds into the mix, you'll be fine. No, wait a minute.... yorkshireman... better make that cubic zirconia then... wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Chasseur, Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy. Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

P.S. Any advice on snow tyres for a Landrover would be awesome

Depends on what you're doing in it. If it's just local messing about/driving then chuck some cheap Chinese winters on it. I run Sailuns on my Trooper and they've been superb. If you're doing higher mileage/speeds and fancy something better, then go for something better: I've Nokians on another car, and Avon Ice Rangers on another. There's not much between them, mostly variances in noise and fuel consumption - both of which aren't noticed in a Landy. There's a lot of tyre snobbery, but I can honestly say the Sailun's have been great.

Don't be swayed by the tread pattern, that's just "graphics" for tyres - the power is in the snipes* (wee slits in the tread blocks) that all winter tyres have, and the rubber compound.

If you're going to go mental playing in deep snow, get some Insa Turbo Dakar or Saharas - great fun, though very noisy!

*Snipes work by shifting the water from ice. You don't slip on the ice as much as slip on the water on the surface. The weight of the vehicle exerts pressure on the ice. The increased pressure lowers the freezing point, melting the surface, and it's this meltwater that makes it so slippy. That said, if it gets proper cold (beyond about -6C) then this effect doesn't happen, so you rely on the rubber compund.
snow conditions
admin, cheers for the info, if I come - which is shaping up to be a cert as have already priced up travel etc - I'll know the hotspots etc to a tee as will be my 3rd week from 3 in VT as it happens; and was no bother getting to any of them the first time round so Smile
As for the pace of the drinking I'd like to claim I can hold my own but having being called out on that on several occasions amongst a rugby crowd, I've more than learned my lesson Wink

Schuss in Boots, thanks haha, I couldn't for the life of me remember the third forum "taboo" when I wrote the post, and was in a massive rush - hence being policed on my Land Rover spelling Twisted Evil but I'll settle for a corker!

Again cheers for the welcomes and helpful posts, with a bit of luck I'll know if I'll be looking forward to meeting some of you in April by the end of the week!
snow report
Stumbler wrote:
Don't be swayed by the tread pattern, that's just "graphics" for tyres - the power is in the snipes* (wee slits in the tread blocks) that all winter tyres have, and the rubber compound.
If you're going to go mental playing in deep snow, get some Insa Turbo Dakar or Saharas - great fun, though very noisy!
*Snipes work by shifting the water from ice. You don't slip on the ice as much as slip on the water on the surface. The weight of the vehicle exerts pressure on the ice. The increased pressure lowers the freezing point, melting the surface, and it's this meltwater that makes it so slippy. That said, if it gets proper cold (beyond about -6C) then this effect doesn't happen, so you rely on the rubber compund.

Actually I believe that the slits in the tread block of tyres are correctly called sipes, after the name of the inventor. I was surprised to see that the misspelling "snipes" appears on quite a few websites, so your use of that word is quite understandable. Not that I wish to snipe at you of course. wink Madeye-Smiley
snow report
N0rthernMonkey, the only problem you"ll have with the eosb is the flights......NCL finishes before the bash.
snow report
Smokin Joe wrote:
N0rthernMonkey, the only problem you"ll have with the EoSB is the flights......NCL finishes before the bash.

Yeah I noticed that, however there's an easyjet out of Manchester for ~£60 (not inc bags) and train to airport from my local station would be £60 return with only 1 change so its do-able without to much hassle Smile
snow report
Darlo, Durham or Chester? I have used Chester a few times into Manc and it is very easy.
snow report
Darlo is closest to me, so a change at York, and direct from there, relatively painless. 6:30 so could be worse.
ski holidays
N0rthernMonkey, welcome, and totally go for the EoSB, it's really fun Very Happy Very Happy ski ability is fine, we have had total nervous beginners before Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK, so I'm in for the EoSB, be gentle.... Twisted Evil
latest report
Alastair Pink, Sipes, just looked it up, it's good to learn something new and will come in very handy when playing scrabble, thanks.
snow report
N0rthernMonkey wrote:
admin,
As for the pace of the drinking I'd like to claim I can hold my own but having being called out on that on several occasions amongst a rugby crowd, I've more than learned my lesson Wink

A word of advice for the EoSB then, practice vodka drinking before you go!
snow conditions
Vodka I can do, its when its mixed with everything else off the top shelf - including Baileys and lime juice that I begin to struggle! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
N0rthernMonkey, to give you an idea . . .

It's rare that we get beaten by a bottle . . . was that the 4th.? Mind you, they didn't start that one until coming back at 2AM after a night on't lash Shocked

Oh, and Pedantia a sweet, benign bundle of bonhomie . . . you've been warned wink shhh . . . mum's the word Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Masque, and Happy Christmas to you too, sweetcheeks! Toofy Grin
snow report
N0rthernMonkey, how close to Darlo? I live there myself, I could be able to help you out if I can get to the bash, not looking hopeful though! Sad
snow report
 snosocial
snosocial
+1!
Cynic wrote:
Quote:

I'm about £100k and 3 wives down on the deal

You have a very good lawyer
ski holidays
Masque, I always welcome a challenge wink

RichardB, Cheers, I live just up in Bishop. Give me a PM if you get sorted Smile
ski holidays
N0rthernMonkey, as i said its doubtful, I'd recommend looking at advance train fares for Manchester Airport 10 weeks beforehand, I paid less than 30 quid return a few years ago!
snow report
N0rthernMonkey wrote:
Masque, I always welcome a challenge wink

Don't include me in that Shocked I was disgusted by their antics! Those animals have NO shame . . . In fact I'm invariably quiet and happy in my bed by 9pm.
snow conditions
Masque, Tea...... Keyboard....... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy