Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rohrmoos

Poster: A snowHead
Folks,

can anyone advise me on the merits or not of staying in Rohrmoos as opposed to the town of Schladming. It seems that rohrmoos is a bit less expensive accommodation wise, has a few ski in / ski out spots or close to slopes. But I'm concerned that it may be a bit isolated from Apres ski and restaurants and don't fancy either paying taxis or hiking up hill home in the evening.

Any advice on how removed or quiet Rohrmoos is versus been in town schladming, and merits of either for access to slopes network appreciated.

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
landers, Rohrmoos is "up the hill" and is just a small group of guesthouses/hotels, an ideal place to stay if you want to be first on the snow in the mornings but a long schlep to Schladming village on foot.If I was going again I'd stay here or somewhere similar but I'm there for time on snow and apres is not such an issue and it's also where the some of the Schladming ski schools meet so if you have anyone for ski school contact the school and see if this is the case. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Brian, I though as much, we will probably go for base in town as mid Jan I'm assuming it wont be too busy for accessing slopes...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
landers, Hotel Poste in town old world charm handy for the lifts.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
landers, World championships start on 4th Feb. The town will be busy with preparations by mid January. First piste closure on 21 Jan.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
landers,

Stayed there in a local Pension in Rohrmoos last Jan - it is ski in/ski out (albeit across roads and along gentle paths). There is a regular bus into Schladming for E2.50 return - 5 mins each way. Only went out in Schladming itself apres ski but there are a couple of bars in Rohrmoos which looked fine. Modern lift system but if you stay there watch out for one piste which you think takes you to Hauser Kaibling . I ended up in a valley with a 20 min hike up to the nearest lift - 16 yr old daughter dim impressed! Loved it there to be honest

snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was hoping the piste closure would be minimal. I better look in to that before committing to Schladming, have flights booked but was looking at Saalbach but couldnt secure affordable accommodation. Thanks for advice folks, if anyone knows the extent of the impact of preparation for World Championship I'd appreciate it
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
landers, http://www.planai.at/winter/en/planai_news/News.html?viewPageDetails_ID=12278
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A bug, valley runs on on planai closed from Jan 21st, time from a plan B I think
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
landers, Not a big deal as the others hills are open and way more interesting. There is remarkably little closed in actuality and you get to see the big boys and girls either racing or training!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any advice on where to base ourselves Sue, there's just me and my brother. I had intended in staying in a affordable, basic pension in town and skiing home / as far as apres ski bar each evening...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
landers, Try further along the valley in either direction. Schladming will not have much accommodation left for the period of the World Championships. To be honest I find the runs down the Planai not that pleasant - the black into the stadium is a real 'mare, mostly sheet ice and full of dickheads thinking they have either right of way &/or the skills to complete the last stretch with impunity. Main criteria seems to be a total disregard for other people's safety let alone your own. The other runs tend to be flatter and easier but still icy and often overcrowded.

I like Rohrmoos and Pichl (by the Reiteralm). You could also try places like Haus/Ennstal, Gröbing or Prüggerns more to the east. All linked to the same system.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
landers, Agree with all Samerberg Sue, says re home runs in Schladming, Haus a bit further along is a small village with enough going on but not mad apres, Reiteralm is my favourite area and deffo cheaper digs than Schladming. It's a great spot ,and if you can get somewhere in Schladming cheapish then take it, you can link into the other hills easily by lift/piste or bus in the mornings/evenings - don't miss a trip to Falgeralm for a deserted piste experience, a really nice spot and worth the bus to get there. I stayed in the Kirchenwirt on the square for about 60e a night h/b but lots of places around the 35-40 b/b and plenty of restaurants doing the 3 course dinner menu for 16/20e.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any experience with Landhouse Lisa in Rohrmoos (Sonnenweg 217, http://www.landhauslisa.at/appartmentb_e.shtml)? I am wondering if it is possible to go down from Hoch to the apartment on ski? I try to get it from the Google map, but I cannot see if there are slopes from starting station of the SunJet down to Rohrmoos center (above main road, Rohrmoosstrasse). THNX
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ipa76, in the German version of the web site it says a wee bit more about the location:

"Im Winter in wenigen Schritten direkt auf der Piste, beim Schilift, Schi-Verleih sowie bei der Schischule, und vor der Haustür die zauberhafte Winterlandschaft, die sich hervorragend für Schneeschuhwanderungen, Pferdeschlittenfahrten oder ausgedehnte Spaziergänge mit Blick auf das Dachsteinmassiv anbietet."

Translation In the winter, (you are) just a few steps from the piste, near to a ski lift, ski hire as well as the ski school. And from in front of the house (door) there is a wonderful snowy landscape that offers you the opportunity for snowshoe walks, horse-drawn sleigh rides or simply extensive walks with views over to the Dachstein massive.

As the Austrians & Germans tend to take things quite literally, I doubt if it is very far from any of the things mentioned above as they will complain like hell if they think the description is a wee bit exaggerated. The concept of a "country mile" is not exactly acceptable to them! wink Laughing

Looking at Google maps, it looks like you may be able to ski back to the place though. The person who will really know is Waynos, who used to live in that part of Schladming and is currently back there for the season having bought a place in town.

Looks a really nice place though and well fitted out.
snow conditions
Smile THNX, and understand. I am sure that it would be great week on snow in SkiAmade (19-26.1.2013). First time with my 3yold son. I cannot wait to put him on the skis. It seems that Rohrmoos is great please to stay considering ski schools. In meantime I found good picture/plan of the village and it is obvious that there is possibility to back in app on skiis (http://www.alpengluehn.eu/skiplan.htm)
snow report
Hi all,

thanks for advice, I went with a pension in Rohrmoos, the Siedler. Hopefully its location is ok. We are still bit worried about Rohrmoos been a bit quiet and isloted from apres fun but on balance we thought it was the best location. If anyone can recommend nice mountain restaurant and on-mountain apres ski bar(s) in the greater area that would be great. Hopefully we can access some apres within a reasonable distance as we dont want to have to make our way down to schladming town every evening and back wit resort runs closed. We are looking for some spots on the mountain that have some fun at the end of the day before sliding back to our pension or local restaurant...

Really looking forward to January trip and avoiding the winter blues!
snow report
landers, Don't worry, it's not that small - there are 2 "huts" beside each other by the gondola that are beautiful and good and busy apres spots at close of play, go with the flow and have a blast. A night or 2 in Schladming is great but to be honest it's no St. Anton but the Hohen haus tenne by Planai base station, is a busy,busy spot from early till the wee hours. Very Happy
snow report
I agree with samerberg sue that the run into the stadium is 'goddam mean ' but if you want some fun the Tenne bar at the bottom is great for big time,cheesy Austrian apres !!!
I also think that the Reiteralm is the best area,Planai too busy and awkward route finding but the runs over the back to Hauser Kaibling (where it says 'welcome to paradise' ) is worth finding.
I am staying in Rhormoos this time for first time, in Feb but have got a car to get around in.
I think there is a nightbus aswell which goes up and down from Schladming........
Hope you have a great time !! Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy