Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So are/is Recco pretty well useless?

Poster: A snowHead
We've both got them in our Jackets/trousers and on both boots and haven't done any off piste stuff for aaaaages but I've always drawn some measure of comfort knowing that there's 'something' should I get buried by a random on piste slide (or fall asleep in the loo). Are they pretty well pointless though?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MeMyselfandI, Recco are great for finding dead bodies.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, hmmmmnnnnnn, that would make apres quite difficult, why is that?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
you very occasionally hear of someone dug out alive because of Recco. it needs to be somewhere easily accessible for the Recco machine so pistes would often tick that box.

however, it's a bit of a difficult question to ask because you are really saying "should I derive any comfort from having a fairly ineffective piece of kit to counter something that is really unlikely to happen?"
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MeMyselfandI, The equipment to detect the Recco reflectors is big, normally carried in helicopters, by the time the helicopter gets to a scene of an avalanche, you're looking for bodies not casualties.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Because they are essentially a passive reflective bit of metal that patrol need a bloody large receiver to locate. Needless to say over thousands of acres of a vast ski resort this aren't positioned every few hundred feet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be fair, your relatives will consider finding your body quite important. So they aren't totally useless.

wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, until they have to pay to repatriate it!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah, that makes sense. It's quite difficult to get a handle on how effective it is from lazyGoogle* and there was a thread on here from 2007 that suggested the reflectors were becoming more commonplace.

So our proper, and barely used, transceivers were sold just after our youngest was born, do most resorts have them for hire or is it still a case of buy your own for off piste stuff?

Arno, well quite Wink Pointless catastrophising is a casual hobby of mine.

*Only reading the first page of hits

ETA - sorry, question in the second sentence is easily answered within 'Off Piste' :toddlesoff:
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry slight thread hijack here.... but is there a piece of equipment that does give off signal for a transceiver to pick up that's not an actual transceiver costing £300??

I'n view of that avalanche in Tignes that encroached on to a piste, i would feel safer carrying something that would emit a signal to pick up in the event i get buried. But i also dont want to fork out £300 on a transceiver as i do manly piste skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomb, so you will be relying on folks forking out £300 to find you but don't want to reciprocate. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tomb You don't have to fork out £300 for a functional transceiver if you're prepared to invest time into learning how to use it There is a product which I'm not going to direct you to as I think it's morally reprehensible and the moment you go an inch off the groomer with it you're away from any possible justification for your tightwadding. How much do you spend on drinks and meals on the average holiday?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jbob, Really? how many people equipped with full avi gear will be piste skiing??? I was thinking more for piste patrol... and in which case its their job.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, i understand what your getting at, and I know its only the price of a few days of good eating/drinking. But my situation is that I don't intend to go off piste and therefore really don't want to fork out for a full avalanche kit (probes, shovels, bag, transceiver etc...)

I would however buy some sort of relatively small and cheap beacon that could sit inside a pocket. And in the event of a freak piste avalanche, someone (preferably piste patrol) would have a signal which they could locate me with.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tomb, That's fine till your mate has the same and can't find you when get buried.
ski holidays
You have to really ask yourself if you are considering a transmit only becon, on the other hand would you be prepared to carry around all day a receive only device for searching? Say the device was given away for free so that you would pick it up at a lift station in the morning. It would be of no use to you apart from being able to assist in searching. What about if you got a discounted lift pass if you carried one?
ski holidays
tomb, someone (sports Conrad?) was recently selling the Pieps Freeride transciever for a little over £100 - so cheap because it's a single antenna model and thus much harder to search with than up to date models, but will still transmit the signal just fine.

If you do intend to ski offpiste, ever, you could use it, but would have to be prepared to invest (more) time in learning how to use it properly - and frankly if expecting others to search for you, should probably reciprocate anyway.

If you really do only ski onpiste, don't bother. Despite recent scare-mongering, the chances of getting caught and buried in a slide onpiste are ridiculously tiny. Like, REALLY tiny.
snow report
davkt, your missing the point really.... I don't intend to ski off piste and because of this I imagine my chances of being caught in an avalanche are minuscule! But as I've said previously, if there is a cheap beacon type device then I would consider buying it.

How many people skiing piste actually carry a transceiver? My bet is not many! And at around £300, the risk-to-use ratio of the transceiver is poor! Now if there was a product available that did emit a beacon for say £20, then that is something I'd consider buying.
latest report
The device you're considering for £20 is called a Recco. For that you get the standard of rescue the resort is willing to support. In the event of a major slide on piste in a major resort provided vis is OK I guess they might put an equipped chopper up. As clarky999 says the risk of getting killed in an on piste slide (provided you've observed all closures) is small (higher in the US for Inbounds slides obviously). Better saving your energy for better spatial awareness re all the maniacs around you.
ski holidays
tomb wrote:
davkt, your missing the point really.... I don't intend to ski off piste and because of this I imagine my chances of being caught in an avalanche are minuscule! But as I've said previously, if there is a cheap beacon type device then I would consider buying it.

How many people skiing piste actually carry a transceiver? My bet is not many! And at around £300, the risk-to-use ratio of the transceiver is poor! Now if there was a product available that did emit a beacon for say £20, then that is something I'd consider buying.

yeah, but....

What you are then saying is that you are prepared to rely on the piste patrol to arrive, search and dig you out before you suffocate. Depending on the location in resort that may well be very quick, but equally may take ages if they have to ride a lift to get to you.

If 'push comes to shove' you are really relying on those immediately in your locality. ie. those piste skiers who don't carry transceivers wink

I do carry my avi kit irrespective of whether I'm piste skiing or not because I'd never forgive myself if there was an incident to hand and my kit was in the apartment. Go on, buy the kit Cool
latest report
tomb, But what is the point of such a device if everyone is carrying them? It still needs someone with a receiver to find you and if relying on others it will take time for help to get there which you can't really afford if buried under a few tonnes of snow. There is some silly device that is just a transmitter that wasat the ski show, sorry can't remember what it was called and think it cost rather more than £20 but rather less than a full system.
snow conditions
tomb, http://www.snow-be.com/
snow conditions
AndAnotherThing.., davkt, fair comments and I do agree with you both. However, I just cant bring myself to spend the best part of a grand on a full avi kit and go through the training required to use the system when I know I'm not going to use it to its full potential.... and besides, I will look like a right tool sliding down a piste will full avi gear Embarassed

I guess I'm looking to cut a corner which I shouldn't be rolling eyes
latest report
gsb, thanks... although they're priced at £67 Shocked
snow conditions
tomb wrote:
gsb, thanks... although they're priced at £67 Shocked

And are scaremongering/being sold irresponsibly and in direct contradiction of the knobhead's previous pledges.
snow report
If I were a pisteur trying to hunt down punters after an on-slope/near slope issue - I'd rather they had an emitter than nothing? I agree it's not high on the priority list for a piste skier but not sure why tomb is getting such a hard time - I assume I'm not the only snowhead who doesn't have a transceiver....

aj xx
snow conditions
If you are on-piste the risks to you are far better managed by watching the speed you are skiing at, keeping an eye on those around you, not drinking or quite possibly wearing a helmet.
ski holidays
a.j., It's only because it's a bit like saying I'd like an insurance policy but I'm only prepared to pay a minimal premium because it's not very likely and I don't want my premiums to go towards someone else's catastrophy. Transceivers as a rescue system only work on the basis of mutuality.

Search on Unofficial Networks etc re the snow-be for the full chapter & verse on why transmit only is not an ethical device & the company founder doesn't get it. Overall the existence of the device will result in more people dying than those saved by it in unlikely onpiste avalanches. Off to sell some guns on the street corner .... it's only for ornamental show, it's not my fault what it gets used for...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tomb, if you are really not going off piste at all, I'd spend the money on decent helmets, and wear them when you are driving, walking in town and skiing after a few drinks... Perhaps a few condoms, and some of those natty disposable breathalysers to make sure you don't drive drunk too? And drive slower to the airport... Probably way more cost-effective in safety terms.

I admire your courage in your own selfishness to expect others to rescue you, but not be willing to rescue others... Who might include members of your own party...!! Shocked rolling eyes

I'd not criticise you for not wearing a beacon inbounds, but your attitude undermines the reciprocity fundamental to carrying a beacon.
snow conditions
It has always struck me as odd that people never mention the fact that the investment made in the latest avalanche transceiver technology is entirely altruistic. As far as I know, having the latest triple axis antenna on you makes it no easier for you to be found than having a 10 year old single axis transceiver strapped around your neck (available at considerable lower cost). Thats why if you ski with cash-challenged mates who wont reciprocate your altruistic tendencies, your better off investing in an airbag first and upgrading your transceiver later, and its also why mrs freebeer always has the latest technology at her disposal in case my airbag fails to do its stuff wink
ski holidays
fatbob, i think the product in question there is aimed at kids and school groups.... looks like a good idea IMO

a.j., Thanks for moral support Very Happy

I don't mind getting a hard time here.... I know my question/suggestion goes against what is generally recommended on SH, but I do think the likes of fatbob, are taking my point the wrong way. As a piste skier who doesn't carry a full avi kit (and i'm sure most don't), I thought the added level of security of a 'beacon' might be worth investing in provided such a product existed and was the right price. Surely a little extra security would be worth it at the right price?
ski holidays
stoat of the dead, fatbob, okay lets put it another way.... what percentage of piste skiers do you think carry an avi kit???
snow report
tomb, ...and therefore is profiteering from paranoid, ignorant parents who'd be better off doing DD on the driving records of the darlings' coach drivers or stopping the driver texting on the transfer bus.

I understand your point, the problem is if 99.9% of piste skiers don't carry avi kit - who is going to dig you out in the magic 15 minutes anyway? Better hope your guy has a phone signal, knows the number for dispatch and can describe exactly where you are to a full hut of pisteurs just up the hill with bloody big shovels. & that's before we get the cowboys who will use it as an offpiste device and those who simply don't give a Be Nice please! and will do the price/feature calculation and sod everyone else
snow conditions
"Surely a little extra security would be worth it at the right price?"

But the risk of being avalanched on piste is massively small. If you are focussing on that risk on-piste you are I think focussing in the wrong place.
ski holidays
tomb, very few... In Europe. I was around when a bloke died in an inbounds avy in the US 2 minutes before I was going to ski a line very close. On a big powder day in Utah or Wyoming a lot of people will be carrying.

I really do think there is better stuff you can spend your money on for on-piste safety than a transmit- only beacon. And if you expect to be rescued with a beacon, you should be willing to help rescue. That's all.

Good luck anyway.
ski holidays
I'm getting bored of this now..... it was a hypothetical question and i was in no way advocating using a transceiver solely as a location beacon only..... i was merely suggesting that if the price was right then why not carrying such a piece of kit. I find it frustrating that certain snow-heads display such obstinate tendencies when you to question a general consensus even though the point your making might be valid.

And as it happens i think those beacons are an ideal solution for a school group..... 1 or 2 teachers with avi kits and the kids with the beacons.... what are the alternatives, equip a whole school group with full avi kits??? And then also ensure every one of those kids knows how to use the kits correctly?? I dont think so somehow.
snow conditions
Quote:

If you are on-piste the risks to you are far better managed by watching the speed you are skiing at, keeping an eye on those around you, not drinking or quite possibly wearing a helmet

given what the "100 units" people post on here, it would take very few days of not drinking to save enough to buy the full avvy kit. wink
ski holidays
tomb, the alternatives are not bother at all as teachers getting kids in a situation where they need to use an avi kit at all is probably the end of their careers anyway. Let's say 10 kids all with transmit only beacons they don't know how to use in the vicinity of the search site, no signal confusion there then.

You have a valid point but not one any avalanche or SAR professional is likely to agree with. No organisation endorses transmit only, want to think about why transceiver companies don't make and sell them despite it being relatively easy for them- and it's not about only selling the high end product?
latest report
tomb, there's a risk those same kids could be attacked by machine gun wielding gangsters in the school play ground. So you could also buy them Kevlar vests. I don't think you would though because the risk is pretty small and the mitigation would not be proportionate.

Similarly a bunch of kids skiing on piste do not need "beacons" (or full avalanche kit) because the risk is so small and such a response would not be proportionate.
snow report
tomb, tosh. If the kids are skiing off-piste they need to learn more as part of their teaching, and i wouldnt let my children be looked after by a teacher off piste unless I knew a hell of a lot about them. My eldest wears a proper beacon off-piste, but his training could be better.

If they are on-piste there are better things for their safety to spend the money on, like flying to the resort rather than going by coach.

The issue is that on-piste you'd do better spending the dosh on other things. That's the real point here, as a few others have pointed out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy