Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dissuade or Persuade....Salomon or Volkl

Poster: A snowHead
I find myself on the verge of deciding to buy my first skis, after much deliberation on the merits or otherwise.

I may not quite be 100% ready and am weighing up the options.

Some advice, perhaps.

Salomon Enduro xt 800 or Volkl Tiger Shark 11ft PS

One around £550 new the other around £750 new (according to SnowInn - a Spanish based company....anyone heard of them?)

So, setting price aside for one moment. I've skied both these skis and really like them. Both great on-piste carvers - sure and fast. The Volkls are heavier - so that may be a consideration in terms of tiredness towards the end of a day.

I haven't been off-piste on the Tiger Sharks, so if anyone has any insight that would be helpful.

The Salomon rocker technology seemed to work well (for me) off-piste.

Some background: I reckon I am about a 7-8 on Inside Out's scale. Definitely a piste-oriented skier. I can manage resort GS courses (probably badly) and have done a few competitions (just the tip up, pay your €5 or so and then wait in line - so nothing grand). I've had around 24 hours of lessons one of which with an Italian FIS racer - he reckoned I was pretty good, though I am sure there are things that could do with improving. I tend to ski two weeks a year. I have about 21 weeks under my substantial belt.

S & R rate the Enduro as 7-10 on there 1 - 10 beginner to expert scale. Realistic? Or just marketing.

Why am I going to buy? Well, every time I have a skiing trip, I start hand-wringing (not really that bad) over whether the hire shops will have a ski I want to ski on. Plus, I'd be pretty happy with either of these skis.

I think I need either a push, or maybe putting straight.

Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chasseur, I haven't tried either. But have you looked on Sport Conrad http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/24928

Snowinn have had pretty mixed reviews on here (they are in Spain I believe).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Claude B, thanks Smile

I should also have asked whether anyone has any knowledge of any UK-based Volkl retailers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chasseur, there was a big discussion about Snowinn recently - unreliable, hard to get hold of, will tell you stuff is in stock when it isn't. I think it was in the context of the heated boot bags. I've seen Tigersharks in Filarinskis in the past, and bought Volkls from them myself, but they don't have any on their website now.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, pam w Very Happy Must have missed that one.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skisimon is the only one I've ever seen with the Tigersharks, but not sure how far off piste he's ventured on them. As you say, they are heavy, but then so are my K2's (probably made on the same production line, since I think Völkl are made in taiwan now?), and I've not really had any issues with tiredness due to ski weight.

Actually I've not tried either, so can't comment either way, but will say that I've had sterling service from Sport Conrad many times, and from time to time they ship skis pan-Europe totally free of charge (and half price courier to US/Canada). Don't know any UK retailers.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My motto is never buy Salomon (skis) so..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, ok....?

Thanks, andy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
don't know much about the volkl's but the Sallys are an excellent skis - TWO of my friends bought as my first mate bought them and let my other pal try them. Granted they both have very little imagination I am sure you will agree but having tried the skis they were excellent and if they are cheaper.........
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And that shambles of a company Snowinn can bleedin do one!! Honestly, they are a freakin' nightmare to deal with and my stuff didn't arrive for ages and then when it did arrive, it was damaged/used and of course as they are in Spain, Distance selling rules didn't apply so I couldn't send them back and as they were delivered and signed for my credit card company didn't want to know about a charge back.

Pretty mierda!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chasseur, In General, Salomon tend to be a softer ski and more forgiving, Volkl tend to be stiffer and you need to ski every turn. Some people wont buy French skis i.e. Salomon, although they are owned by Atomic now and are far better for it, see their race programme. Volkl are German and some won’t buy that country’s skis either, but they have always made good technical skis. So if you are lighter weight skier I would lean toward Salomon.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur, I think Lizzard has - or had - Tiger Sharks. she might be able to give you some useful info about them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cynic, helpful, thank you. I probably tend towards heavy weight and had thought the Enduro a stiffer ski to be honest, though clearly not quite like the Volkl, for sure. Given that there is unlikely to be a dramatic development in my skiing nor skiing frequency (unless extremely lucky), I imagine that the skis will be around for 5-6 years or 10-12 weeks (not really much is it?).

Thanks again pam w and to davidhammy. Sorry you had such a shite experience - good of you to share it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chasseur, How much do you weigh?

I've demo'd the Sallys 175cms in St Anton end of last season. Late season fresh stuff both on/off piste for half a day. I would have been happier with the 182cms, weighing in at 95kgs and still skiing in moderate to fast speed range. On piste around Valluga/Schindler/Alpe Rauz, Off-p Stuben front face. Took me a while to become comfortable with the all terrain rocker, and I found the 80mm underfoot quite feely-feely and ready to set quickly from edge to edge. Where I was disappointed with the XT 800 was at pace, just too little front ski feedback, not a great deal of hold/kick from the rear, "squashy-squishy" feeling when shussing. IMHO the skis perform better in softer conditions, lacking grip along their full length, especially carving one edge at speed there's a damp feel. FYI my piste skis are Sally 2V Equipe Race, 186cms.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
My motto is never buy Salomon (skis) so..

Me too, or used to be, anyway. They really seem to have got their act together for this season.

Chasseur, in the past Sally had a habit of making floppy light weight skis that fell apart too quickly (Lord is a prime example). They do seem to have upped their game recently though.
ski holidays
skimastaaah, similar you and they were 175cm that I skied too. Interesting feedback. I did a blue (it was practically empty, before anyone gets too upset) with a pretty consistent slope and some good corners in the tuck, top to bottom and don't recall them feeling squashy-squishy, but that could equally be a failure to interpret what was going on underfoot.

I also did, under instruction, some err, not sure how to explain this....full (downhill) leg extension where you bring/bend your uphill leg significantly then reach out and touch the snow with your uphill hand and repeat turn to turn - thereby trusting the skis to grip at much higher velocity and turn pressure. Skis seemed pretty sure in those drills too.
snow conditions
Chasseur, which ones did you like the best? Puzzled
ski holidays
I don't think I've skied many Salomons that I've liked, original Xscream being the outstanding exception.

I haven't skied any Volkls I haven't liked.
ski holidays
gatecrasher, hmmm, well to be honest, I liked them both pretty equally, though the Volkls may well be a better ski - for all the good that means to my skiing Laughing
ski holidays
Chasseur, There's your answer, saving you £200
snow report
Yeah, I am leaning that way...I think... rolling eyes
ski holidays
I don't ski salomon either, in the same way I don't ride Marin bikes or play with Callaway clubs.

Volkl must be the way to go.

............................................................or Movement wink
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, Callaway's are for duffers! wink
latest report
gatecrasher, exactly. I don't use them, ergo I am not a duffer Laughing
snow report
Quote:

I don't use them, ergo I am not a duffer

there's a logical fallacy there.....
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
I don't think I've skied many Salomons that I've liked, original Xscream being the outstanding exception.

I haven't skied any Volkls I haven't liked.

My only Sallys were Screams and there was certainly nothing wrong with them. I have a set of Volkl P60s that I've have from almost new (now kept as rock hoppers). They were a great fun GS type ski well suited to my heavy & aggressive style. As under a new name says, I haven't got a bad word to say about Volkl. I've always been very pleased with them.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, Mizuno forged blades it has to be, you should see mine...still like brand new in the middle! The only thing that matters is they look great just before the 1st and after the 18th, a bit like the volkl's in the lift queue, Chasseur, scrap that.... go for the volkl's. Toofy Grin

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 13-12-12 20:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Chasseur, "Squishy-squashy"............. is an unnerving imprecision in the retention of a leading edge leading to a slight feeling of flapping towards the front of the ski, and thus control of the setting of an edge.

My only other advice is to look at other options at £500 plus.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
voelkl are pretty much faultless, and yes, makes us so happy to say Salomon are back in a big big way!!
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:
Chasseur, "Squishy-squashy"............. is an unnerving imprecision in the retention of a leading edge leading to a slight feeling of flapping towards the front of the ski,

skimastaaah, tbf to them, you are probably not their intended target market so It's difficult to know what other skier levels would make of them!
ski holidays
Chasseur, Possibly Volkl Gotama with a Baron or similar to give it lift for steering would be good all mountain ski, but try secondhand the 2011 model was good and £300 would buy suggested combo if available. They will also be able to cover O/P when you decide to take the step; or meet that lovely that does and they give 5 years powder experience just putting them on.
latest report
skimastaaah wrote:
Chasseur, "Squishy-squashy"............. is an unnerving imprecision in the retention of a leading edge leading to a slight feeling of flapping towards the front of the ski, and thus control of the setting of an edge.

Well I understand that - and probably have experienced that on other skis. Didn't on the Enduro, but then I doubt I'm skiing them at the level you did (as alluded to).
snow report
Thanks to all for the contributions - appreciated. I think I'll see if I can hire the TS again for the next trip and then make a decision before the one after that Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Chasseur, Come to ADH & buy my little used Tiger Sharks sitting in the cave feeling lonely!
snow conditions
gatecrasher, They sound like my Mizuno forged (semi) blades. Laughing
snow report
I have Tigershark 10ft and love them. Also have the Mantra and they're great too.
latest report
Nick D, tempting....verrry tempting Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, Cool wink
latest report
I borrowed some Tiger Sharks a few years ago; well I swapped my skis (Blackeye Tis) for the instructors for the afternoon. They are the best piste ski I've ever used. Everything just felt so easy on them. Tight turns, carving whatever. If I was after a full on piste ski they'd be my reference point to test anything else against.
ski holidays
Crell, the reference point is actually 2007 Nordica SL-R slalom skis....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy