Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot and a broken ankle

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I broke my ankle a few years ago and struggle with keeping the upward flexion in that leg to a level where I can ski comfortably. I've got some Salomon Impact 10 CSs with custom liners and I remember reading you can remove two bolts from the back of the boot to take them down to 100 flex. Would this help compensate for the fact I can use one ankle a lot more than the other or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If I do this

1) Am I likely to notice much difference ?
2) Can they be refitted if it's just all too mushy?

At times I feel like the metalwork is causing the pain but the GP doesn't seem to think so. The ankle will flex further it's just too painful. I'm going to go and see a Physio though for a second opinion.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go see a good bootfitter and get their advice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Echoing davkt, , see a fitter for experience led advice.
The metal work issue could be more due to the temperature? My OH has plates and screws that are no problem except in very cold temps, he has to go warm up far more frequently than the rest of us.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crell, if you have limited flexion due to the metalwork then you need a stiffer more upright boot rather than a softer one with more forward lean, essentially you want to get reaction from the ski with minimal flexing of the ankle, if the boot is soft it needs more flexion at the ankle before the power is transferred to the ski and anything happens
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crell

I have a very similar problem; bone growth from severe ankle fracture restricting movement. See my post at the bottom of page 4 of the boot fitter sticky
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Crell, seeing a bootfitter is part of the option . . .

The rest is down to you doing some proper rehab . . . and don't give me any poop about "it hurts" I can trade injuries with 10 of you combined!

We all favor our injuries and compensate for them so just finding some way to make you feel comfortable is just . . . well . . . pants.

Getting our bodies to accept alien augmentation is not going to be easy so rule 5 (?) applies . . . push yer 'sen . . . It does get easier . . . with time and endurance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In my experience the perception of problems is far elevated, than that of getting a boot fitted. Ski boots work really well for broken joints and bones in this area, the trick is to getting the "pair" to work the same. Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. I'll start with Masque as that made me laugh. I'm what you would generally call pain-tolerant. For example, when I broke my ankle and leg (in 4 places) with a full rearward dislocation and torn ligaments I got back on my mountain bike, rode for a mile or so back to the car. Sat in it for a while because I thought the swelling would go down, but when it didn't I drove my (auto) car for 25 miles home. Had a brew and then got driven to A&E. I then spent a week in hospital before they could operate on it as it had suffered "a lot" of trauma. Thanks for the life coaching; I'm just surprised you didn't explicitly tell me to "man up" as well. If anything it's getting worse, not better with rehab; so forgive me for asking for some advice other than grin & bear it.

CEM and the rest, thanks. I did get the boots fitted after the accident (CEM you recommended the fitter as you were booked up and he did a great job Smile ). I exercise my ankle regularly as I'm conscious of the need to keep it moving but It has a tndency to swell up (hence I think there's a problem with the plates). Doesn't seem to be temperature related at all to be honest.

CH20, that's pretty much my problem!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crell, MTFU is actually the issue . . . but not at the expense of more damage to the area. Yes it is going to be sensitive for a long time (I have trauma related issues that are 20 years past the point of me being pissed off with them) but you do have to persevere and sometimes you have to look at swelling and or inflammation / pain and work out if it's specific to the original injury or if its caused by by your own favoring of that injury. I get a swollen right foot. It occurs because the surgery required to stitch my Achilles back together damaged other parts of my leg . . . and it hurts and throbs horribly . . . I've researched the issue and to all intents and purposes, ignore it and just push through the discomfort and now, 6 years later it is beginning to appear 'normal'. You have to learn about you injury and then PUSH the limits of both the repair and the rehab . . . or just accept that you are a lesser person. THe human body is capable of AMAZING recuperation . . . the human mind is ASTONISHINGLY lazy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Crell, ignore Masque - he gets cranky when he fails to score.

Try TECNICA Bushwacker 110 Air Shell Ski Boots or one of the other Air Shell range of Technica boots. I have skiied an older Nordica version of these for years and have just acquired a new set of Technica Airs (even though I didn't need them) on the strength of that experience. Not only does the air keep your foot warmer but they allow micro adjustment on the fly. They should also give additional cushioning. The nice thing about them is that they do not grab your foot in the traditional way so the may provide the relief you need. What I am really looking forward to is the backcountry work - padded but loose on the way up, supportive and tight on the way down.

I can easily imagine that the metalwork could be causing you the discomfort especially if it is fixed and the rest of your leg is moving around it. If that is so then I suspect that increasing movement (i.e. 'flex') will not help. What you need is an adjustable fit and some pre-ski Nurofen by the sounds of it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RattytheSnowRat, I'm always cranky . . . .

. . . fook Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crell, I broke Tib, Fib and dislocated ankle in a rugby match, followed by months of rehab. When I started skiing again I had problems very similar to what you described. Tried the boot fitting root and then when I was doing my BASI stuff I struggled to get the amount of flex you referred too. The recommendation was to do what CEM said: stiffer more upright boot rather than a softer one with more forward lean, essentially you want to get reaction from the ski with minimal flexing of the ankle, if the boot is soft it needs more flexion at the ankle before the power is transferred to the ski and anything happens. Absolutely spot on in my case and I've not looked back since. As to the pain thing, I do occasionally enjoy a day off in my Touring Boots!! Good Luck.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy