Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel All Star Pass

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to Kitzbuhel next week and buying the all star pass (as covers Kitzbuhel and Skiwelt). However it covers a range of other resorts - Zell am See, St Johann in Tyrol, Saalbach etc - how easy is it to get to these places without a car?

I am sure there will be plenty to do in the local resorts as I have been there before BUT I always like to case the joint for other resorts to visit in the future and anyway St Johann looks like a one day wonder anyway.

I note the railway goes to St Johann and Leogang for Saalbach but can found no info as to how to get from the rail station to lifts or indeed where the lifts are relative to the rail station - are there frequent ski buses in these resorts - rail journey to Zell looks far too long to bother about but it can only be about a 25 minute bus ride if there is a bus via Pass Thurn.....cannot find one on the obb rail website though and they normally have an integrated bus service on it.

I do find it frustrating the marketing guys dream up all these wonderful passes and assume everyone has car transport and fail to actually address the practicalities of how best to use the pass or tell them in their marketing literature.

Will try the tourist office when I get there and they will probably be very helpful but any advance info for planning purposes would be gratefully appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a thread on this somewhere on SH, which i used a year ago.

We stayed in Kirchberg a year ago, approx 5 km from Kitz, u can ski to from both easily

from Kitz to skiwelt, : kitz, Kirchberg, bus from bottom of lifts, 10 minutes, to new fast gondola cant remember name, but takes you to ski Welt,

Or post bus free with your lift pass, free to lots of places

Train is right in centre of Kitz,
10 minutes to St Johann for example, train is free too, very handy from Kitz
St Johann train a five minute taxi ride to St Johann Gondola, about a fiver, too far to walk

Most of the train stations have lockers , so walk in your shoes to station, carry ski boots and skis, change into ski boot at destination station, much easier on feet

The train goes to ski welt , as afar as i remember, so might be quicker than kitz, kirchberg, ski welt by lift

there is an app, from the bus and train people called "Scotty" live public transit info on your phone

Brixen and Kitz train station very near lifts

We were based in Kirchberg for six days, got to Ski welt, Kithbuhel and St Johann very easily
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
countryman, If you cannot get around, why not be happy to ski the Kitzbühel area? There is more than enough to keep you happy without having to do the same piste all the time. Why buy the extra pass if you cannot really benefit from it?
The vast majority of people who do buy the integrated pass do have their own transport as the mainland Europeans tend to drive to the resorts. Even Norwegians and Swedes tend to drive or fly then hire vehicles.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Others will be able to give you more detailed info but its pretty easy to get to Zell from Kitzbuhel by train, doesn't take long. Don't use the train station by the hahnenkammbahn but the station in the middle of town. Then a ski bus from Zell station to the lifts. The train goes past Leogang, for access to Saalbach slopes. Best thing to use the lift pass for tho is access to the Ski Welt area, via the Ki-west lift.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You will really have a job to use all those areas in a week even if you have your own car. There is more than enough in Kitz up to Pass Thurn and over to Westendorf without going to Leogang etc.
But its very nice that you can!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Every year I am in Kitz and I keep thinking about going to Zell am See, but have never done it as I can't be bothered with getting the train there. However it means I do know how to do it. Kitzbühel to Zell am See is about an hour from Kitzbühel, there is an S-Bahn that leaves Kitzbühel Hahnenkamm at 08:14 and then the main Kitzbühel station at 08:17 that gets you to Zell am See at 09:14. Then there is a skibus leaving the station at 09:23 that gets you to the arbeitbahn at 09:29 see http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/dokumente/fuer-artikel/skibus.pdf Since it can take about 25 minutes to get to Pass thurn from Kitzbühel if went that way round via Mittersill it would be much longer than taking the train!

The St Johann area is best accessed from the Oberndorf train station as it is a shorter walk to the gondola there than at St Johann itself. The train St Johann - Oberndorf - Kitzbühel - Kitzbühel Hahnennkamm - Schwarzsee - Kirchberg in Tirol - Brixen im Thale is free during the day with your ski pass if you are dressed for skiing. From St Johann there is a free ski bus to Fieberbrunn and Steinplatte according to http://www.bergbahnen-stjohann.at/en/winter/skibus.html but no details of time tables!

For public transport on the Tirol side of the network http://www.vvt.at/page.cfm?vpath=index&switchLocale=en_US is a good start.

Hope this helps!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Train to Kircherg is not a good idea;

Train is outside Kirchberg, and from there you need to get a bus to lifts

Quicker to ski or bus between Kitz and Kirchberg
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As has been said, the SkiWelt is easy to reach from Kitzbühel. Either using the bus linking the Pengelstein I (Kirchberg) and KiWest (Westendorf) lifts or by taking a bus/train to Brixen if you want more to ski the Hohe Salve side (Söll/Scheffau/Ellmau). My feeling is that the buses often get you closer to the lifts.

St. Johann is also accessible by bus/train. Here the train might be just as easy. From St. Johann you could take buses to the other Skiwinkel resorts, e.g. Fieberbrunn or Waidring (Steinplatte). But that is getting a bit more tedious.

Other places like Zell or Leogang would be a bit far, I think (with stations quite a way from the lifts in both cases). If you really wanted to ski any of these areas, I could offer the snowHead service of meeting you at Fieberbrunn station and we could drive on from there. If you're interested, PM me, even after you are in Kitz and know what you feel like doing.

36-50 cm of new snow fallen today Very Happy

P.S. ajw's data is very useful. It takes me about 45 min to drive from Fieberbrunn to Zell, so the train is a good deal faster.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gosh - thanks all and especially espri for your kind offer.

35-60cms of new snow - wowee - brilliant.

I know the Kitzbuhel/Kirchberg, Brixen bus run well as I have previously stayed in Westendorf. Being a restless person I like the sense of travelling so first day in Westendorf I went right across to Pass Thurn and back - I may not do all the runs by any means - the same when doing Skiwelt - you can travel around quite a few resorts. Anywhere thanks to sqeezyjet's Bristol Salzberg service I have managed to get 7 days skiing planned as they do two services a week - you can go out Saturday and return Sunday.

Interesting the train to St Johann is free - no mention of that on any website information that I can find. The taxi idea sounds good - will look up - hopefully it will be better than Westendorf station which had no taxis and not even a card with taxi company number when I arrived a couple of years ago.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To get 7 days skiing in the best flights are definetly Easyjet Gatwick to Munich where the last flight back is at 21-55 in the evening giving a full days skiing on the day of departure.
Off to Kirchberg on Friday so will be on the slopes first thing saturday. Only downside is Im only there until Tuesday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
countryman wrote:
Interesting the train to St Johann is free - no mention of that on any website information that I can find.

Look here (towards the bottom).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy